Contribute
Register

Catalina - Safari Crashing on Video Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
It wasn't broken between Catalina versions, but from Mojave to Catalina itself. I'm keeping up with the WEG changelogs since there's things vit9696's working on that seem to be addressing this perhaps:

v1.3.6
  • Enabled CoreLSKD streaming patches by default for AMD hardware DRM on Ivy Bridge
  • Repurposed 64 bit for FP 2.x streaming hardware accelerated streaming patches (can be used as shikigva=80)
  • Fixed accelerator name update logic for X4xxx kexts
  • Fixed Verde IOGVACodec injection to make hardware video decoder work
  • Enable software TV+ decoding on all CPUs without IGPU (shikigva=256)
  • Added HEVC capabilities to AMD6 decoders for all GPUs (disabled by -radnogva or disable-gva-support)

It wasn't broken between Catalina versions, but from Mojave to Catalina itself...

I do not think this is actually the case. I was running 10.15.1, iMac18,1 SMBIOS Vanilla with headless platform id. i3-8350K - RX580. with shikigva=1 Netflix was working on Safari, Apple TV was working.

Then I switch motherboard (to z390) and CPU(9900k), and create a new installation 10.15.2 with iMac19,1 SMBIOS.

Netflix not working on Safari anymore. I do not know whether the issue has to do with using a custom DSDT that I found for my build (which except from DRM is working perfectly) but I cannot get it to work anymore.

I am pretty noob on the hackintosh world so I am banging my head to think of why it used to work but now it doesn’t. It’s weird.

Last edited:
It wasn't broken between Catalina versions, but from Mojave to Catalina itself. I'm keeping up with the WEG changelogs since there's things vit9696's working on that seem to be addressing this perhaps:

v1.3.6
  • Enabled CoreLSKD streaming patches by default for AMD hardware DRM on Ivy Bridge
  • Repurposed 64 bit for FP 2.x streaming hardware accelerated streaming patches (can be used as shikigva=80)
Thanks for the note. Shikigva=80 with smbios iMac Pro 1,1 did it for me, even with WEG 1.3.5. The TV app is now working. Safari is not working with Netflix but I can watch 1080p (Netflix + Amazon) with firefox add-on (my advice: once it's working, don't clear the browser cache ;-)). Switching to smbios iMac Pro 1,1 was the best thing I could do. Even with my old Hardware. System runs like charm with Catalina.

Just to bump. A couple of things.

With up to 10.15.3, there's the chart on WEG's GitHub site that says what works. And that's all cards EXCEPT for the Polaris Ellesmere (RX470, 480, RX560, 570, 580, 590). That does fix Netflix on Safari but not things like Amazon Prime, HBO GO, Starz, Hulu (they crash WebKit). But there's a bit of a bite here. For most people, you have to effectively choose between those working in Safari (go with iMacPro1,1 + no iGPU - shikigva=128 or nothing) or Sidecar (for example, iMac19,1 + iGPU Framebuffer patching, etc because it has IQSV with shikigiva=80).

With 10.15.4 (beta 1 at least), the Polaris Ellesmere driver in Catalina appears to be fixed. Relief.... the above still seems to apply, but now everything could work.

I've heard rumors for Sidecar on iMacPro1,1 with iGPU disabled, but I haven't tried it, haven't seen it, and that's outside of the scope of this thread.

I’d like to just pipe in and say that I have an RX580 and I’m using the WEG version that was most new when 10.15.3 came out (1.3.6 I believe) and am running 10.15.3. Both prime and Netflix seem to be working fine for me. Caveat, I am using the iMacPro 1,1 SMBIOS. I haven’t tried sidecar so can’t verify if it’s working or not.

EDIT: Apparently it was a fluke. It is not working any longer.

Last edited:
Thanks for the note. Shikigva=80 with smbios iMac Pro 1,1 did it for me, even with WEG 1.3.5. The TV app is now working. Safari is not working with Netflix but I can watch 1080p (Netflix + Amazon) with firefox add-on (my advice: once it's working, don't clear the browser cache ;-)). Switching to smbios iMac Pro 1,1 was the best thing I could do. Even with my old Hardware. System runs like charm with Catalina.

whats the name of the firefox addon you use? can only find the one that works for netflix.

Same issue here with RX570, iMacPro1,1, disabled iGPU latest WEG and Lilu as well as shikigva=256. Very annoying since this happens when I want to use my plex server.

Same issue here with RX570, iMacPro1,1, disabled iGPU latest WEG and Lilu as well as shikigva=256. Very annoying since this happens when I want to use my plex server.
Not sure why you're using the shikigva=256 argument. Refer to the chart, says you either want no argument or shikigva=128. Should get you going.

Not sure why you're using the shikigva=256 argument. Refer to the chart, says you either want no argument or shikigva=128. Should get you going.

Because I didn't read it right. But now, without any shiki, I got no luck either. Same behaviour I described above. Safari dies right after I click my bookmark. I still can access my Hackintosh via SSH for a while before it dies completely.

Because I didn't read it right. But now, without any shiki, I got no luck either. Same behaviour I described above. Safari dies right after I click my bookmark. I still can access my Hackintosh via SSH for a while before it dies completely.

Well... same issue when I use shikigva=128 in boot arguments. Maybe I need something else? InjectATI etc.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back