CPU
<< need model # >> See Forum Rules !!
Graphics
HD5770
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello folks!, long time I haven't posted on these forums but I haven't been using MacOS in a while. recently i have upgraded and built me a Ryzen 7 gaming pc (still waiting on GPU of course) and set my old rig aside. its functional in the sense that it has a windows 10 install and it works fine for most day to day things. this is the same rig i once upon a time had Mac OS 10.7 on. Now I know its an older rig, but was wondering what is the latest Mac OS it would run? I have tried Catalina and i cant get into the installer , when i choose to boot from USB i get the prompt:
Loading Operating System....then shortly followed by 'error loading operating system" I tried hitting the space bar as well, but nothing happened. (followed the guide in here in the site) these are the specs:

motherboard: Gigabyte P55A- UD4P
CPU: Intel i7 Quad Core 860 @ 2.8GHZ
32GB RAM DD3
Radeon 5700HD
250GB Crucial SSD (Windows 10)
250GB Samsung SSD (to be used for MacOS, currently empty)

any advise is greatly appreciated!

If you have a 5770 it's no longer supported in Catalina. Very old card.

High Sierra is probably the newest macOS you could run with an HD 5770.

Download that and give it a try.

Yosemite or El Capitan was the most recent macOS I ran on my P55 rigs...both were stable with the right configurations. I have found if you stick with what your hardware vintage is compatible to macOS version you'll get the best user experience.

Hello all! thanks for the replies...much appreciated!
ok I was able to make some progress, but stuck again. I am able to boot off the USB installer, and once i get to the section where i need to choose the destination disk to install High Sierra (HS) i cannot see my internal SSD drive that i plan to use for MacOS-actually cant see none of my internal drives (i have two installed SSDs, one has windows, one is empty).
i tried some tips i found by searching on the forums, but nothing seemed to work. BTW, the BIOS sees both drives just fine and when i boot into windows it also sees all drives. i also tried formatting the spare SSD within windows using MacDrive into HSF+ with the hopes the HS installer will see it, but alas no go. Any help would be greatly appreciated, i searched the forum but maybe missed the correct thread.
im posting a pic of what i got
Thanks again!

Attachments

• IMG_1680.jpg
    IMG_1680.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 45
We don’t know what boot loader you used.

It seems your installer is incomplete.

hmmm. incomplete installer eh? ill try making another installer using unibeast. weird when i was making this one i got a few errors here and there, searched the forum and found some solutions until it finally completed the task.

hmmm. incomplete installer eh? ill try making another installer using unibeast. weird when i was making this one i got a few errors here and there, searched the forum and found some solutions until it finally completed the task.
Just check the file size. If it is very small (below 4 GB) then it is incomplete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back