Contribute
Register

Catalina No sound

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only way I got WiFi and sound to work on a clean install of Catalina was to put all applicable kexts (all the kexts I added in L/E in Mojave) in the EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other folder.
As far as I know, the old method of installing kexts does not work in Catalina.

@billbrown & All,

You can still install kexts into /L/E on Catalina, however you must first disable gatekeeper and mount the Catalina system partition in read/write mode.

@headkaze has recently updated Hackingtool to support this method in Catalina, which is now the recommended kext installer. The kexts guide has also been recently updated to reflect this new functionality.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@billbrown & All,

You can still install kexts into /L/E on Catalina, however you must first disable gatekeeper and mount the Catalina system partition in read/write mode.

@headkaze has recently updated Hackingtool to support this method in Catalina, which is now the recommended kext installer. The kexts guide has also been recently updated to reflect this new functionality.

Cheers
Jay
Thanks I will give that tool a try

I’m having the same problem with audio on Catalina Public Beta but my situation is slightly different:

1) I disabled onboard audio card because it’s unstable and sometimes causes crashes (SM X9DAi motherboard).
2) I have a blackmagic Decklink card inside the machine and I have installed the drivers which allows me to use the card as a sound card (been doing this since High Sierra).
3) Card seems to be properly recognized and shows-up in the audio configuration panel.

Alas I have no sound and when I try to play audio on Music it doesn’t even “start” if I can say... and I have the same problem on YouTube, I try to play a video and it hangs there forever.

Anyone has clues on this or has been confronted to this before with the Catalina betas ?

Thank you for your input.

@billbrown & All,

I’ve read the guide, pretty interesting... what are you keeping inside /others ? Currently the only things I have in there are FakeSMC, mXHD (for USB3), AHCI Injector, Lilu and Wathevergreen. All those except FakeSMC should be moved to L/E ?

You can no longer install kexts in /System/Library/Extensions

Any kexts you need to support your hardware place in EFI partition under /EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other
That is where I placed ones I needed.

if you use theat software that the previous op recommended you can install the wireless drivers you can also write enable the system partition to install kexts to the s/l/e folders

Placing kexts in /S/L/E goes against what Apple recommends

Especially since /L/E does work which also prevents Apple from over writing kext's you need for your hardware

I have a Native Instruments Audio 2 USB sound card, designed for DJ's to use
Its kext is in /L/E which is where the installer placed the kext.

So either place kext's in /L/E or in EFI partition.
EFI makes them available for more one version of macOS

Well I do not have problems with WiFi... my problems are related to sound. Installed last Blackmagic Design drivers for the Decklink card but no sound. Also playing a video on youtube seems to hang forever althought the machine isn't unresponsive.

Dell 3010 SSF
Started with Mojave , easy install ! updated to Catalina. Bose 321 player worked great UNTIL
I updated to Catalina beta 6 and lost Bose 321 sound .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back