Motherboard
Gigabyte Z87X-OC
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
  1. iMac
I want to upgrade my Mojave 10.14.4 machine to Catalina. While running under a normal boot, I started up the Catalina install file and it started up just fine, then counted down remaining minutes from about 26 to maybe 3 minutes, then wanted to reboot. So I rebooted. When it came back, it didn't apparently realize it was in the middle of an install so it did nothing else, and it still shows running Mojave 10.14.4.

Is there a way to kickstart the install back to finish up?

I want to upgrade my Mojave 10.14.4 machine to Catalina. While running under a normal boot, I started up the Catalina install file and it started up just fine, then counted down remaining minutes from about 26 to maybe 3 minutes, then wanted to reboot. So I rebooted. When it came back, it didn't apparently realize it was in the middle of an install so it did nothing else, and it still shows running Mojave 10.14.4.

Is there a way to kickstart the install back to finish up?
When it "came back", what option did you choose to boot from the available options?

If I remember correctly, you will have to choose the one with "MacOS Install" on it. If you choose to boot from the original option you will be back into your old MacOS.

I just reran the install package & rebooted. I did see the MacOS Install choice in the instructions here, but my Clover screen does not display such an option. It's just showing the Boot from Disk, Boot from Recovery, and then below, it has the various smaller icons for clover options, reset, etc. etc. This is Clover version 4769, running Mojave.

I just reran the install package & rebooted. I did see the MacOS Install choice in the instructions here, but my Clover screen does not display such an option. It's just showing the Boot from Disk, Boot from Recovery, and then below, it has the various smaller icons for clover options, reset, etc. etc. This is Clover version 4769, running Mojave.
Having no luck today on this, I checked Software Update and lo and behold, it offered me an update to Catalina... so I went with it. It downloaded for a while, then said it was installing update, that lasted maybe 10 seconds, then went back to Checking for Updates and offered the same update again. I rebooted but of course nothing had changed.

Weird??? No idea what is going on here. Was Catalina flaky this way? I've never seen this box be so flaky before... everything up to now has been just solid as a rock.

eno

Fixed - I updated Clover to the 5110 or whatever version is on the Multibeast, and that allowed me to F3 on the boot screen, and at that point I was able to select the Install MacOS boot which eventually was successful in installing Catalina. Unfortunately after the Clover update my USB sound died so now I have to figure that out but this is a step forward. Thanks for the help!

Fixed - I updated Clover to the 5110 or whatever version is on the Multibeast, and that allowed me to F3 on the boot screen, and at that point I was able to select the Install MacOS boot which eventually was successful in installing Catalina. Unfortunately after the Clover update my USB sound died so now I have to figure that out but this is a step forward. Thanks for the help!
To fix the sound I just went back to the old EFI folder on the Mojave disk, and that fixed everything. All good now.

I was about to suggest updating Clover to 5119 but I see you have done that yourself.

Good to see you have managed to fix the problem and successfully installed Catalina.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back