Contribute
Register

Catalina Audio z270 (Gigabyte Gaming 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I have switched the layout-id to 7 (changing the "Inject" setting under "Audio" on the "Devices" page of Clover Configurator to 7 from 4).The menubar list of output devices is now:

Digital Out
Line Out [was previously "Headphones"]
Line Out
Line Out
DELL U2718Q

I don't understand why CodecCommander is not loaded. It is in Clover/kexts/other on the EFI partition and it is not in L/E or S/L/E. Is there something else I need to do to ensure this loads? Also, I'm assuming the CodecCommander to use is Rehabman's latest version, which is 2018.

I am testing by plugging speakers into the front "Headphone" socket on the case. I have ensured that this produces sound when selected under Windows and it does.

From the boot-log I can see that CodecCommander and the SSDT are in the Other folder. That should be fine. The modified AppleALC should also work without CC, you can also try layout-id 8.
Hda-verb is also part of CC. If you copy hda-verb to /usr/local/bin, you can run the provided script that shows me if the values where set as expected.
To ensure that the AppleHDA.kext has not been modified, enter this "sudo kextcache -i /" into the terminal window. The command rebuilds the cache and indicates whether unsigned kexts are loaded.
I assume that sleep with the IGPU will not work, but sleep will reset the codec and probably the sound will work afterwards.Powering off the computer for a minute can also reset the codec.

Attachments

• ZxRi_params.sh.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Hda-verb is also part of CC. If you copy hda-verb to /usr/local/bin, you can run the provided script that shows me if the values where set as expected.

copied hda-verb to /usr/local/bin. Output of script is:

HDA Streams:
DAC 1 = ff
DAC 2 = ff
DAC 3 = ff
S/PDIF = ff

Pin Control:
Speakers = ff
Center/Sub = ff
Rears = ff
Headphones = ff
Microphone = ff

GPIO:
Find GPIOs = ff
Num GPIOs = ff
Direction = ff
Enable = ff
Data = ff

Extensions:
Status = ff
Param 0xD = ff
SampleRate = ff
latest ID = ff
last Value = ff

Stream 0x14:
Destination = ff
Enable = ff

Flags:
Value = ffffffff

To ensure that the AppleHDA.kext has not been modified, enter this "sudo kextcache -i /" into the terminal window. The command rebuilds the cache and indicates whether unsigned kexts are loaded.

Here is the output of kextcache:

Kext with invalid signature (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7f8a49d121c0 [0x7fff90111690]> { URL = "file:///Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext/", ID = "org.netkas.driver.FakeSMC" }
Kext with invalid signature (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7f8a49d10590 [0x7fff90111690]> { URL = "file:///Library/Extensions/IntelGraphicsFixup.kext/", ID = "as.lvs1974.IntelGraphicsFixup" }
/Library/Extensions/IntelGraphicsFixup.kext - dependency 'as.vit9696.Lilu' not found.
/Library/Extensions/IntelGraphicsFixup.kext is missing dependencies (including anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
Kext with invalid signature (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7f8a49d0b600 [0x7fff90111690]> { URL = "file:///Library/Extensions/IntelMausiEthernet.kext/", ID = "com.insanelymac.IntelMausiEthernet" }
Kext with invalid signature (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7f8a49d09040 [0x7fff90111690]> { URL = "file:///Library/Extensions/AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext/", ID = "com.insanelymac.AtherosE2200Ethernet" }
KernelCache ID: DB483589EF1C4F218AEEB591E9CF95F7
Kext with invalid signature (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7f9388cfb800 [0x7fff90111690]> { URL = "file:///Library/Extensions/AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext/", ID = "com.insanelymac.AtherosE2200Ethernet" }
Kext with invalid signature (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7f938af00180 [0x7fff90111690]> { URL = "file:///Library/Extensions/IntelMausiEthernet.kext/", ID = "com.insanelymac.IntelMausiEthernet" }
Kext with invalid signature (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7f938af0ecf0 [0x7fff90111690]> { URL = "file:///Library/Extensions/IntelGraphicsFixup.kext/", ID = "as.lvs1974.IntelGraphicsFixup" }
Kext with invalid signature (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7f938af14370 [0x7fff90111690]> { URL = "file:///Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext/", ID = "org.netkas.driver.FakeSMC" }

This seems weird. Having copied hda-verb and run your script and kextcache the menubar list of output devices now lists only the monitor. The other output options have disappeared. This is true whether I set layout-ID to 7 or 8 (using Clover Configurator "inject" setting).

Ok, AppleHDA is unchanged. Try loading CC manually. "sudo kextload path to /CodecCommander.kext" you probably have to change the owner to root "sudo chown -R root:wheel path to /CodecCommander.kext"

This seems weird. Having copied hda-verb and run your script and kextcache the menubar list of output devices now lists only the monitor. The other output options have disappeared. This is true whether I set layout-ID to 7 or 8 (using Clover Configurator "inject" setting).
Did you restart after kextcache?

Here is the output of kextcache:

"file:///Library/Extensions/IntelGraphicsFixup.kext/", ID = "as.lvs1974.IntelGraphicsFixup" }
/Library/Extensions/IntelGraphicsFixup.kext - dependency 'as.vit9696.Lilu' not found.
/Library/Extensions/IntelGraphicsFixup.kext is missing dependencies (including anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
As you can see IntelGraphicsFixup is missing dependencies because Lilu is in the Other folder. Since IntelGraphicsFixup is deprecated, you should use WhateverGreen instead. Add it also to the Other folder.

Last edited:
Ok, AppleHDA is unchanged. Try loading CC manually. "sudo kextload path to /CodecCommander.kext" you probably have to change the owner to root "sudo chown -R root:wheel path to /CodecCommander.kext"

ls -l in the Other folder reveals:

drwxrwxrwx@ 1 user1 staff 512 3 Feb 09:06 AppleALC.kext drwxrwxrwx 1 user1 staff 512 19 Feb 2018 AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext drwxrwxrwx@ 1 user1 staff 512 3 Oct 2018 CodecCommander.kext drwxrwxrwx 1 user1 staff 512 17 Oct 2017 FakeSMC.kext drwxrwxrwx@ 1 user1 staff 512 13 Jan 06:31 Lilu.kext

So, yes, these need to be owned by root, but I've probably messed this up in multiple ways! Should these be directories? Is it correct that some should have extended attributes "@"?

I'm wondering if there's a process I've forgotten for copying files into Clover. I have been mounting the EFI and copying via Finder or whatever. Is this wrong?

Obviously I need to make sure I've done these correctly, and then also for WhateverGreen.

The chown command gives no output and does not change the ownership.
The kextload command then fails:
/Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/CodecCommander.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) authentication failure (file ownership/permissions); check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).

Last edited:
No, you do not have to change the ownership of the kexts in the "Other" folder, only for CC, which must be on an HPFS / APFS file system. Desktop for example. And only for manual loading.

Ah, ok. So I shouldn't have put CodecCommander in "Other". I'll try loading it manually from the main partition. Does that mean that it eventually needs to live in L/E or S/L/E?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back