Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z390 Gaming plus
CPU
I7-9700K
Graphics
Vega 56
I was able to create a bootcamp partition to allow windows 10 dual boot and have parallels run windows off of that same partition without having to reboot. I originally tried virtual box and decided the experience was less than ideal. Parallels is a total different experience.
I am really surprised how smooth parallels is and very impressed on coherence option that allows the windows apps to appear native.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-29 at 11.48.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-29 at 11.48.36 PM.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 269
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-29 at 11.49.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-29 at 11.49.22 PM.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 235
Sorry, been gone for awhile. I busted my screen in my all in one pc. I ended going through three builds to get the build I was happy with. Surprisingly, I was able to keep my original nvme drives and I didn't have to reinstall my bootcamp.

I have tested parallels 14 and 15 including the business subscription edition. The business version does allow the ability to choose any bootcamp partition or drive. The non subscription version does not. Even though it's only suppose to work with bootcamp on the same drive as OS X, you will be given the option to select bootcamp and it will configured it even if it is on a second drive the first time you configure parallels.

How is your bootcamp currently installed? Are you having trouble with bootcamp booting in general? or just issue with parallels?

other thoughts when installing.....

A. If you have to reinstall windows 10 on the same partitions. - Parallels should be able to pick this up when you go to configure it. If not, there is ways around this.

B. let say you decide you want another copy or move windows 10 to second drive.....
1. If you know ahead of time you want a couple of boot camps, then you would install bootcamp on the 2nd drive. Backup those configuration files. Disable that drive in the bios and proceed to install bootcamp again on the same drive and configure another parallels bootcamp configuration.

C. You can also format a second drive. Install OS X on the second drive. Disable the main drive and install bootcamp. boot the second OS X and install trial of parallels and configure another boot camp. re-enable the main drive and you should be able to import the 2nd bootcamp configuration. I think you can just run that 2nd boot configuration without having to import it and it should work.

I'll try to list my experience from bootcamp from memory.
issues:
1. I use clover EFI for my boot selection on my main drive. I also kept a usb clover boot key as emergency to boot back into the Mac OS. I can then just copy the Microsoft EFI directory in case it gets wiped.

2. Create your own windows install thumb drive either with Rufus or window media creation tool. I didn't have any success trying to have bootcamp create the installer. It might have something to do with the windows iso is now larger than 4gb.

3. If you are installing windows on the same drive as OS X... It works best if you install OS X first.
**** I either physically remove or turn off all disks expect the install drive and the destination drive. Especially if you are installing windows on the second drive. I think the installer creates the correct partitions and analyzes the other drive and either thinks there isn't enough space or incorrect format type.

4. If you are using usb boot drive, then you really don't have to fix any EFI partitions. If you clone clover EFI to the Mac OS EFI partition you will have to copy the Microsoft EFI information over. There is instructions available to prevent windows from breaking the clover boot files. Not an issue if windows is on a separate partition.

It turns out I needed to reinstall Parallels. I have 2 separate NVMe drives, 1 for OSX and 1 for Windows 10.

When I fired up Parallels 14.1.2 I selected the boot camp option. Everything chugged along and ended up working fine.

The only thing that pissed me off is that I lost my Windows activation. I finally used Microsoft’s assistant to reactivate. I believe I clicked on the start bar and typed in SLUI 4 to bring it up.

The Microsoft assistant generates a super long number That the bastages don’t let you copy paste in. They don’t even insert spaces for the 6 digit groups and once the number comes up you can’t move Windows around.

I ended up copy pasting the numbers into word and inserting spaces after I got it wrong 5 times. I have no clue why they behave that way, it really pissed me off. Enough of that. Everything works perfectly now.

same, here. Glad you got it working. After going thru so many builds to get a good one, I eventually had my windows 10 key blocked. I just used one from another machine I no longer used.

I ended bricking my skylake build with a failed firmware update before Memorial Day weekend... I was so pissed (especially amazon being late on everything now), I went to 2 different best buys that weekend and picked up everything to do a MSI z390 build with 9700k. I was torn between the 9700k and 9900k but they had a sale on the i7. Just wished the 5700 xt worked with Catalina so I wouldn't have to settle for the Vega.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back