Contribute
Register

Catalina (and Mojave): Random Freezes on SSD (non-SSD: no freezes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-B3
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
RX 560
One of several remaining issues on my hackintosh to fix is getting my main system going on my Samsung 850 Pro SSD. I am currently running Catalina on a partition on a larger non-SSD drive, and it is generally working. However, no matter what I do, any installation on my SSD experience random freezes. It is unrelated to what I'm doing, sometimes just typing, browsing web, or when left on (i.e. doing nothing). Sometimes within a few minutes of logging in, other times after many minutes or hours (generally within 6 hours). The UI completely freezes, the cursor freezes, the time stops, nothing works. My hard-reboot button doesn't work, instead hard-powering-off the system a few seconds after pressing it.

Checking the system log, there doesn't appear to be anything "at" the time of freeze, the prior entry is typically a few minutes prior. I have included two screen shots of system logs after freezes.

I updated the firmware on the SSD, but no change.

I installed:
- Erase SSD as HFS+
- Boot Unibeast Catalina USB
- Disk Utility: format SSD to APFS
- Install Catalina on SSD
- Install latest Clover, Legacy
- Add: DSDT, apfs.efi, AppleALC, FakeSMC_sensors..., FakeSMC, Lilu, RTL8111, Whatevergreen
- Clover: iMac 13,2, Inject audio: 1

I have a Clover USB that works fine to boot my current working (non-SSD) drive, and I get no freezes. Using this same USB to boot the SSD, the system will randomly freeze.

Everything I have found online suggests the firmware of these drives can be an issue; but that the 850 Pro should be compatible, so I really don't know what to look into next. Please help!

Attachments

• Freeze 5-25.png
    Freeze 5-25.png
    799.1 KB · Views: 52
  • System Freeze.png
    System Freeze.png
    376.3 KB · Views: 108
Christmas bump. I should add that this SSD has worked fine for a number of years with Yosemite, and prior macOS. What troubleshooting steps can I try?

Does anybody have any ideas with this? It seems to be an issue starting with Mojave (which I tried installing before moving up to Catalina). I have all sleep settings disabled and screen lock disabled. I can boot, login, and just let it run, and within 4-6 hours, it will freeze. Sometimes it freezes within a few minutes. I am almost never doing anything (more than a web browser).

My next step will be a fresh install of Yosemite onto the SSD to confirm that does not freeze. Or, maybe that will also freeze (since now I have Clover, and not Chimera, so it is not exactly as I had it previously). I guess I should also move the drive to a different SATA port, and try a different cable, but hard to believe those are issues all of a sudden.

Do you think this is rooted in my Clover setup? The OS installation itself? Hardware incompatibility/failure? Are there any Clover settings I should play around with? I need something to go on here, and there isn't anything else online...

What would be different about this SSD, while using the same Clover, and same everything else?

Really looking for some troubleshooting advice on this issue. Can someone please confirm that my 128 GB Samsung 850 PRO should be compatible with Catalina (using the latest firmware)? I see (larger versions of) this drive are listed in the buyers guide, so I presume my 128 GB version is also?

I did experience one (similar seeming) freeze on my non-SSD system (log attached), after several hours our use. My non-SSD system typically runs for 12-24 hours without issue, and I typically need to restart due to a different HD issue (with some partitions become inaccessible).

Attachments

• Freeze on HD BU Screen Shot 2021-01-02 at 2.39.44 PM.png
    Freeze on HD BU Screen Shot 2021-01-02 at 2.39.44 PM.png
    571.4 KB · Views: 42
I have continued to experience (similar seeming) random freezes on my non-SSD system. The system typically runs for 8-12h or longer before experiencing a freeze (the SSD typically between 10m and 4h). Any idea what might cause this, with the cause taking significantly longer to develop on the non-SSD drive? It seems that the system performance starts to degrade, with lags and slower response over time, then eventually randomly freezes.

As the freezes on the non-SSD drive appear to have begun more recently (maybe), I'm going to start rolling back my Clover and kexts to what I was using earlier in my process, and reducing clover to the bare minimum needed to boot to help troubleshoot.

Any other thoughts or things I should check or test?

So, I've done a lot of troubleshooting and would like to report my findings in hopes someone can guide me to the best next steps.

I have:
- Booted my non-SSD boot drive with no other HDDs or peripherals attached -> ran for several days without freezes a few times. Seems that freezes do not occur once the SSD is disconnected.
- Run Drive Genius (free) drive check - > SSD is reported as fine, without errors
- Booted the SSD (plugged into 1st SATA port) with no other HDDs or peripherals attached -> freeze reoccurs
- Changed the SATA cable for SSD -> freeze reoccurs
- Changed the SATA port for SSD to 2nd SATA port -> freeze reoccurs
- Cloned the non-SSD (working) boot drive onto SSD -> freeze reoccurs
- Booted the non-SSD drive (with cloned SSD connected -> freeze reoccurs

It appears that just having the SSD connected will cause a freeze. It occurs within 4-6 hours (usually faster) when the SSD is booted. It can take a day when the non-SSD is booted. It appears that disconnecting the SSD fixes the freezes on the non-SSD drive, but I have to test this more to be sure.

My Next Steps:
- I have an external SATA->USB dock and I plan to boot from that and let it run overnight and see if it freezes.
- I was also going to try to reinstall Yosemite (which worked for several years) and see if that freezes.

While I am willing to replace the drive, I believe it should be compatible, and I would really prefer to get it working if possible. I'd also like to learn, and understand why/how.

Please help with additional troubleshooting steps I can try! Thanks

So, I took the problematic SSD and plugged it into an external USB 3.0 hard drive dock that I have. I booted from this and it ran without freezing for over 48 hours. Reinstalling it back into the computer, it froze after about 6 hours. It usually freezes after 2-4 hours, and typically after 6 at the max.

I am testing it (again) with a different SATA cable(s), and port(s) on the MB. Is it possible that a SATA cable works with other HDDs, but is (now) incompatible with this one specifically? Or, is "bad cable" = "bad" regardless of the drive?

Aside from trying all the cables/ports that I have, then buying a new cable (or SSD) to try; what else could be going on here? All of my other drives have been functioning fine with all of the cables/ports, as I have been reconfiguring things.

I'm also going to try to connect it to a different branch on my power supply (separate from the other HDDs), maybe it is power related? After that, I guess a new SSD? I'm out of ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back