Contribute
Register

Catalina 10.15.6 + 5700 XT: Crashing under load

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, I had the exact same problems with the exact same card; crashes to black screen, audio still plays, crashes during gameplay in Windows but typically during load screens, crashes in Mac OS after a game has finished, random crashes too. Tried different SMBIOS, Mojave, Catalina, Big Sur, different power supplies, different motherboards, different ram configurations, various drivers in Windows, etc.

Conclusion?

The Sapphire 5700 XT Nitro+ is garbage.

I got a Gigabyte 5700 XT Gaming OC and it hasn't given me a single crash in months. I spent months wasting my time on trouble shooting. I am NEVER going Sapphire again.
I had a Sapphire 5700 XT Nitro+, didn't tweak anything except the standard boot argument and never had a problem. Not saying all cards will act the same but they are pretty widely used without issue, different system configurations can also be a factor (memory, bios settings, etc.)

You know what, I'm a self-confessed idiot! :lol::banghead: When I switched to iMacPro1,1 what I didn't remember was go to BIOS and disable iGPU. Then after all the crashing I did remember and boom, it changed everything as it was supposed to. I can now safely confirm after days of use, going back and forth to Windows too, that my Sapphire Nitro+ no longer gives trouble. It didn't even matter whether I disable XMP, so I'm on XMPII now. Feels so rewarding as I was beginning to hate this card.

On the other hand, I still don't know what causes all the problems with iMac19,1 (or was it 19,2?)... Something seems to be really conflicting with 7900K iGPU. Of course it would be ideal to be able to use it and "share the load" but in real life use (video editing, exporting) I don't notice any difference that would matter -- actually none. Perhaps a benchmark might show something but I doubt that it would count for real.

Anyways, thanks to all of you who helped me, as well as possibly many others! This a great community, once again. :)

Returning to this old topic as the joy was short-lived... Somehow the issues returned with nothing particularly changing. The crashes now under macOS 11.6 on OC 0.7.6 are almost daily.

In a last attempt of desperation I'm attaching my config.plist and screenshots of my efi files, should anyone feel motivated enough to have a look. Maybe you'll spot something obviously wrong to anybody else but stupid me. Thanks in advance guys!

Attachments

• config.plist
    27.6 KB · Views: 34
  • acpi.jpg
    acpi.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 36
  • drivers.jpg
    drivers.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 34
  • kexts.jpg
    kexts.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 38