Contribute
Register

Case for CustoMac Mini - really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look for the Streacom FC8 Evo Fanless chassis. Maybe is this you're looking for.

Look for the Streacom FC8 Evo Fanless chassis. Maybe is this you're looking for.
Very nice. A quite different price bracket though: ~AU$175 for the case, ~AU$108 for the PSU.
While I do want quiet, everything in life involves compromises and part of the point of this build is to be cost-effective.

The Wesena cases look interesting too, thanks.

I think I've settled on a solution:
  • Silverstone ML03B case. Will fit neatly in with the amplifier/etc. A much wider case, by moving the PSU to one side it opens up the space above the CPU quite effectively. The ElementQ/MI-008 cases look like they'll to end up with the PSU fan and CPU fan fighting each other for air.
  • Antec VP-350P PSU. Decent price, decent efficiency, low noise?
  • Noctua NH-L9i low-profile cooler. I don't really need the low-profile in this case, but it fits the TDP of the i3-3225, is an OK price (found a cheaper source than originally), and through my use of Noctua fans on other devices I have some trust in them to be quieter than the stock cooler.

The case+PSU has turned out to only be AU$45 more expensive than the Element Q, which is a premium I'm prepared to go with.
Just to recap: this box will hold a a GA-H77N-WIFI, i3-3225, 2x 4GB RAM, 500GB 2.5" HDD, and an optical drive (probably a Blu-ray burner eventually).
Can anyone see a problem with this? Sure there are "better" solutions available, but if you see a problem with this I'd appreciate the heads-up.

Thanks for the discussion folks - it has helped!

The case+PSU has turned out to only be AU$45 more expensive than the Element Q, which is a premium I'm prepared to go with.
Just to recap: this box will hold a a GA-H77N-WIFI, i3-3225, 2x 4GB RAM, 500GB 2.5" HDD, and an optical drive (probably a Blu-ray burner eventually).
Can anyone see a problem with this? Sure there are "better" solutions available, but if you see a problem with this I'd appreciate the heads-up.

Thanks for the discussion folks - it has helped!

Looks fine to me. When you get around to adding a bluray, I know this one works http://www.techbuy.com.au/p/184930/DVDROM_BLU-RAY_WRITERS_-_INTERNAL/Pioneer/BDR207DBKS.asp
AND sleep/auto sleep/wake works with it as well.

Hi,

About Wesena.co.uk, could you please check our Wesena.com website: http://wesena.com/official-wesena-website/

We are getting angry emails about Wesena.co.uk, but we do not have anything to do with Wesena.co.uk.

We are starting legal procedures agains wesena.co.uk

Please refer to our partner www.streacom.com for cases.

Thank you for your interest

Wesena

fractal node 304. That's all you need for modern, simplistic design.
Except that it doesn't support an external drive bay (I did mention I wanted to put an optical drive in didn't I?).

If I didn't want an optical drive in this machine it would be very interesting. And unfortunately the next build I have planned will need a much bigger case so I don't think I'll get to play with the 304.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back