i9-10980XE
Graphics
6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So here's something random.....

Fenvi is working great, OS is working great (has been for a few days and I've been pushing the system fairly hard). So like any diligent user of an important computer, I wanted to clone my install via Carbon Copy Cloner (as I always do after I validate that an install was successful after a few days). No matter what I do, CCC spits out: "The APFS replication procedure failed."

I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say that this is occurring because SIP / SecureBootModel (or both) is disabled. Before doing the OCLP steps, I could always clone it.

Any idea if this is actually the case? Will OCLP 1.0 allow SecureBootModel & SIP to be re-enabled?

According to their help page:

If APFS replication fails repeatedly​

Apple's APFS replicator will fail if there are problems with your installation of macOS, filesystem corruption on the source, storage driver conflicts, problems with the hardware, or if there are any media read failures. In short, it's just not very tolerable of real-world conditions. CCC's file copier is battle-tested — we've built years of experience into it to handle all sorts of challenging conditions with grace.

You cannot run OCLP with SecureBootModel & SIP enabled even after patching.
Unfortunately these two must remain Disabled for successful Sonoma patching.
Ok, 2nd question lol

When OCLP runs, it's not doing anything to the actual MacOS drive, just the EFI folder right?

My thought is, for the backup purposes, create a copy of the config.plist (and rename it to config.patched) - then take my current config.plist and re-enable SIP, remove all the kexts from loading and re-enable SecureBootModel. Do I need to revert patches in OCLP before rebooting the machine with the changes I make the the config.plist ... or should it be ok?

Then upon restoring, just rename the config.patched back to config.plist. Will that work, or will I have to run OCLP again?

Ok, 2nd question lol

When OCLP runs, it's not doing anything to the actual MacOS drive, just the EFI folder right?
why do you think SIP needs to be disabled?

why do you think SIP needs to be disabled?
SIP & SecureBootModel were the only major changes and according the blurb from CCC I listed above:

“Apple's APFS replicator will fail if there are problems with your installation of macOS, filesystem corruption on the source, storage driver conflicts, problems with the hardware, or if there are any media read failures.”

I’m guessing CCC interprets those things being disabled as a “problem with your installation of macOS”

SIP & SecureBootModel were the only major changes and according the blurb from CCC I listed above:

“Apple's APFS replicator will fail if there are problems with your installation of macOS, filesystem corruption on the source, storage driver conflicts, problems with the hardware, or if there are any media read failures.”

I’m guessing CCC interprets those things being disabled as a “problem with your installation of macOS”
SIP does not need to be disabled to only configure your EFI........

SIP does not need to be disabled to only configure your EFI........
Not was I was asking lol

Carbon Copy Cloner is failing to start the process. I believe it's failing because of these things being disabled. If I re-enable these things (without undoing the patches) I won't be able to boot properly right?

Not was I was asking lol

Carbon Copy Cloner is failing to start the process. I believe it's failing because of these things being disabled. If I re-enable these things (without undoing the patches) I won't be able to boot properly right?
yes, you were asking in regards writing to EFI for SIP to be disabled

and this thread is about wifi and Sonoma, not issues with your Carbon Copy

yes, you were asking in regards writing to EFI for SIP to be disabled

and this thread is about wifi and Sonoma, not issues with your Carbon Copy
But it is related, it started when I did the patch. I think some people may want to fix this issue if they're applying OCLP for the Fenvi fix & want a backup.

Last edited:
Attempting the clone with disk utility in recovery mode.

But for those doing OCLP- it may break the ability to clone / backup your boot drive of a working machine with the Fenvi adapter, using SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner (possibly because of SIP or SecureBootModel being disabled, not sure as of yet)

Hoping this method works, then if it doesn’t do it automatically, I’ll just manually copy over the EFI files to the EFI partition and hope I can boot off it.

I know it seems unrelated, but if we go to this hassle to get it working, it’s good to know that there’s a way to backup our Sonoma machines with a working Fenvi card.

Back