1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi all,

I encountered a weird problem over the weekend and think I have just now gotten it figured out, but need a bit of advice. On thursday, I updated my copy of Carbon Copy Cloner on my CustomMac. I have a scheduled task in CCC that clones over my OS X boot drive installation to another internal drive regularly; this update ran and I thought nothing about it.

Come Sunday, I rebooted my computer for one reason or another. Immediately upon choosing my boot partition in Chameleon, I receive a KP. Not immediately seeing the link to CCC, I spend the next six hours futzing with the system, reinstalling, restoring cloned backups, etc. I started to see a pattern once I started disconnecting internal HDs- anything cloned from CCC and left plugged in created KPs at the next boot.

I have now confirmed that this extends not only to my OS X boot drive, where chameleon is installed, but even to my "Data" volume. If I clone "Data" over to another internal backup drive, I receive the same KP, even if Chameleon isn't installed on Data and no other drives are connected with CCC clones. Without the presence of CCC cloned drives/partitions, the OS loads perfectly.

So now that I've determined CCC is the issue, how do I get around it short of using only external backup drives that aren't connected at startup? Is there a new setting in CCC that is causing this? In CCC, I've unchecked "chameleon" that shows up at the root of my boot drive, but that seems to make no difference. Has anyone yet experienced this?

Assistance is greatly appreciated.

Garth

I had this same issue , i reverted to CCC 3.37 .....

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I've reverted now, but does anyone know exactly what the new version of CCC is copying that it didn't before? Is it pulling something hidden from root or is it something hidden on the hidden formatting partition of the drive?

Garth

Hi All,

I also have experience a similar problem. When I backup to an image and then restore it, I am unable to boot. My solution or workaround is to boot into an old backup drive and then install iBoot and EasyBeast. Once this is completed I can now boot up as normal. I am also wondering if it is a CCC problem.

PS I do a lot of backing up so I can experiment.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

TDG

Well that sucks to hear! Starting my first hackintosh build this weekend, and I was planning to use CCC fairly heavily as I attempt to shake out the bugs and get my system up and running. I didn't see a download link to the 3.37 version mentioned above on the CCC website. I've seen SuperDuper mentioned in this forum mentioned as another option for creating backup images....do you guys think that would work as a suitable alternative to CCC?

That's probably a different issue- you're having a problem with a cloned image not restoring as a bootable drive, and this is ONLY with CCC 3.4.1, not any previous version.

My issue is that, after cloning my boot drive to another internal drive, I can't boot the computer to ANY drive. The bootloader is conflicted and the system throws a KP. The only way I can get back in is by either unplugging the SATA cable to the cloned drive or booting with iboot and then wiping that drive with a single-pass delete.

You can check out the CCC forums for help as to what may be causing your image to be unrestorable.

Garth

thedigitalgap said:
Hi All,

I also have experience a similar problem. When I backup to an image and then restore it, I am unable to boot. My solution or workaround is to boot into an old backup drive and then install iBoot and EasyBeast. Once this is completed I can now boot up as normal. I am also wondering if it is a CCC problem.

PS I do a lot of backing up so I can experiment.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

TDG

PM me your email and I can send you a zip file with the CCC 3.3.7 installer.

Garth

skrump77 said:
Well that sucks to hear! Starting my first hackintosh build this weekend, and I was planning to use CCC fairly heavily as I attempt to shake out the bugs and get my system up and running. I didn't see a download link to the 3.37 version mentioned above on the CCC website. I've seen SuperDuper mentioned in this forum mentioned as another option for creating backup images....do you guys think that would work as a suitable alternative to CCC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back