Contribute
Register

Can't update to the new iWork

Status
Not open for further replies.
I apologize for my suggestion being less than top notch. I had the same problem as you, and I adjusted my BIOS/uEFI settings allowing it to work successfully afterwards.

Again, I am really sorry for any inconvenience I caused you by offering a friendly suggestion.

I wasn't being snarky with you. I know my BIOS like the back of my hand due to running Hackintosh for some years. That option isn't in my BIOS. That, and I'd never heard of anything like that before so I was very surprised (READ: WTF Apple???) when you said that.

Check out the post three before yours, #64.

I'm very sure you are correct, as I'm not saying you're wrong, but here's where I run into issues:

When it comes to people informing me of things to do on my computer (especially when it comes to the temperamental Hackintosh), I take exactly what you say as what to do and/or look for as to minimize me messing things up by guessing.

So with that being said...

Is there a chance that my mobo doesn't have the terms VM or VMWare anywhere in it?
And, if yes, Is there a chance that this is instead called Intel Virtualization Technology, and not VM or VMWare?

I found a way to update iMovie :)

Step 1: follow the advice given in the post #10 to create a Mavericks VM in VMWare.
Step 2: install VMtools, turn the VM off and then change the display setting: set 3D accelerator ON.
Step 3: follow the same advice as in post #10 to install the trial or your legitimate DVD/app of iWork and iLife on your VM - do not run any program!
Step 4: install this driver on your VM: vmsvga2
Step 5: change the resolution to scaled and pick a high one (I used the 2360 - wiggle the window to have vmtools auto adjust the resolution on the host)
Step 6: click update on the iMovie icon in App Store, and your download should continue.
Step 7: In your App Store account you should now find iMovie that you can download on other machines.

Hi,
I have a question for BIG!

Although your instruction perfectly fine prior to Step 4 for iWorks and iPhoto yet I have a faced a few problems upon Setting 3D ACCELERATOR TO ON AND INSTALLING VM DRIVER (STEP 2 and STEP 4). I think this has something to do with the fact that I am trying to fix this update issue on a HP Probook 4540 (LAPTOP) rather than a desktop Hackintosh as I have noticed that lots of you are currently running desktop Hackintosh.

anyway I think the reason why Step 2 and Step 4 are advised is due to the fact that Appstore comes up with an error picking up on graphics card or something.
As soon as installed the driver and chose scaled displayed my screen went bigger than usual which I could not use then it went very small, such that App Store was showing 5 updates but was not displaying what the updates were. hence I was not able to click on the update button to update "aperture" not "iMovie".

Anyone as had this problem? I would appreciate your help

Thanx

i have vmware installed and osx9 installed within it. it's the whole vmtools thing that's confusing me. can you install that on the trial version of vmware? i'd rather not pay for it to use it for only updating imovie. if you can, where do you go to get vmtools? i've had a hard time finding it.

thanks in advance...

Sweet, it worked!

I found a way to update iMovie :)

Step 1: follow the advice given in the post #10 to create a Mavericks VM in VMWare.
Step 2: install VMtools, turn the VM off and then change the display setting: set 3D accelerator ON.
Step 3: follow the same advice as in post #10 to install the trial or your legitimate DVD/app of iWork and iLife on your VM - do not run any program!
Step 4: install this driver on your VM: vmsvga2
Step 5: change the resolution to scaled and pick a high one (I used the 2360 - wiggle the window to have vmtools auto adjust the resolution on the host)
Step 6: click update on the iMovie icon in App Store, and your download should continue.
Step 7: In your App Store account you should now find iMovie that you can download on other machines.

Special thanks to you and all who find out this solution. I'm new in the Hackintosh world and wanted to get the whole iWork and iLife Apps for free. The VMware Fusion trick worked for me without problems and now I have my own CustoMac with all Apps like a new Mac from Apple +Apenture :thumbup:
I used a german Apple ID to update these Apps.

Regards
m4rkus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back