Graphics
PNY Quadro 4000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Can't sign into Apple Store or iCloud- I understand what the problem is (needs to be desinated 'Built-in' and 'en0'), need to sort out the Ethernet options and why I've got 3 Ethernet entries in Preferences => Network instead of 1 or 2:

Active Services..................Type....................Hardware...........BSD Device Name......IPv4 Addresses
Built-in Serial Port (1)........PPP (PPPSerial)......Modem..............serial1
Ethernet...........................Ethernet...............Ethernet.............en0
Ethernet 2........................Ethernet...............Ethernet.............en1
Ethernet 3........................Ethernet...............Ethernet.............en2..........................192.168.1.234

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G66)
Fresh build

LAN2 Intel GbE LAN in use and functioning - chip is marked WGI217V (i217-V) which Intel Doc indicates uses e1000e Linux ver 3.6.0 driver
LAN1 Atheros Killer (Identified as 2200 on motherboard silkscreen, as 2201 in manual specifications & block diagram, and chip definitely printed 'E2201') - no kext currently installed (see below)

Preferences => Network shows:
Ethernet 3 - Connected
Built-in Serial Port (1) - Not Configured (Why is serial port showing up in Network Preferences?) (will check BIOS to see if serial ports are enabled)
Ethernet - (has telephone handset icon next to it- guess it thinks it's a modem) - Not Connected
Ethernet 2 - Not Connected

Bluetooth Device Currently Not Installed and none showing in Preferences

MultiBeast 10.4.0
MultiBeast Configuration - 2020-01-13 10:11:46
Quick Start > Clover UEFI Boot Mode
Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALCxxx > ALC1150
Drivers > Disk > 3rd Party SATA
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC
Drivers > Network > Intel > AppleIntelE1000e v3.2.4.2
Drivers > USB > 7/8/9 Series USB Support
Bootloaders > Clover UEFI Boot Mode
Customize > System Definitions > iMac > iMac 14,2

Questions:
Why are there 3 Ethernet entries in Preferences with only 2 Ethernet interfaces?

In previous versions of OS X there were no kexts for Killer 2200, only Intel. MultiBeast 10.4.0 now has options for both Intel and Killer 2200. I've seen other users with same motherboard install one or the other... can both be installed and used at the same time?

MultiBeast 10.4.0 has 3 versions of the Atheros E2200... do these work with E2201? How do I determine which version to use?

MultiBeast 10.4.0 has multiple Intel kexts each with multiple versions- AppleIntelE1000E, AppleIGB, IntelMausiEthernet - (It seems like it should use the AppleIntelE1000E kext based on the number on the chip, but then I don't know what the IntelMausiEthernet kext is for), How do I determine which port and which version to use?

Last edited:
Found that motherboard setting was enabling the serial port... Disabled it in BIOS - that explains the Serial Port Entry. I still don't know where the Ethernet 2 and Ethernet 3 came from but I deleted all 3 of them from the list in Apple menu => System Preferences => Network.
Deleted 'NetworkInterfaces.plist' and 'preferences.plist' from /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ and emptied trash, rebooted.

Network entry rebuilt with only the Intel i217 Ethernet, which is working as BSD Device Name en0 and is using AppleIntelE1000e.kext v3.2.4

Thanks to P1LGRIM for his thread "An Idiot's Guide To iMessage"
Tested with iMessage and all is working.

Will start new thread with my questions about the different Ethernet kexts in MultiBeast 10.4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back