Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
CPU
I9 9900K
Graphics
AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT
Hi guys,

First I wanna thank all the peoples who helped me to build my first hakintosh, I feel lucky to be part of this great community

I am on Mac for 13 years now and a big Final Cut Pro X user (MacBook Pro 15" late 2013/ I7/16Go/1T SSD and Mac mini I5 base model)

I finally decided to build my own setup with dual boot (Mac/win) to do continue my work on FCPX on Mac and do some simracing on windows.

this this my hardware :

-AIO for CPU: NZXT H510 for the case
-CPU: I9 9900K
-GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT
-MB: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
-RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB pro DDR 4 32gb (4x8gb) 3200MHz
-Win Storage: (Samsung 860 QVO 2TB + 980 500Go M.2 NVMe)
-Mac Storage: (Samsung 980 1TB M.2 NVMe)
-PSU: Corsair RM 850X

Bios: IMac 19,1

What works:
every thing even MB WIFI/Bluetooth works fine with handoff ...etc (Wifi very slow as not fully compatible one)

What doesn't work:

the only thing I am stock with is the use of the usb to boot in Mac OS, tried to put the EFI in the my NVME but it doesn't work (I press 1) as you can see in the pictures, I installed a fresh copy of 11.4 directly on the 1TB NVME and didn't make any partition ! can it be the reason ?

Also for information, if I instal a copy of clean my Mac its safe for winds partition ? if there is any thing to do to block Mac to exchange with the window partition and the opposite I will be more than glad to know it.

Please try to be more explicit as I am a newbie on the Hackintosh world :) thanks in advance

PS: I will do all the benchmarks with pictures and videos and share my folders as soon as everything will be cleared

Capture d’écran 2021-06-11 à 16.08.45.png

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2021-06-11 à 16.08.34.png
    Capture d’écran 2021-06-11 à 16.08.34.png
    791.2 KB · Views: 183
  • Capture d’écran 2021-06-11 à 16.09.07.png
    Capture d’écran 2021-06-11 à 16.09.07.png
    779.7 KB · Views: 190
  • Capture d’écran 2021-06-11 à 16.09.34.png
    Capture d’écran 2021-06-11 à 16.09.34.png
    228.4 KB · Views: 194
It might help to see a list of the partitions on your drives. Open a terminal and type

diskutil list

and screenshot the results.

You mention you didn't create any partitions before installing. This might explain it, but not how you managed to install it without doing so. I'm assuming macOS and windows are installed on separate physical drives - if so, your windows install is safe. If not, you'll be reinstalling windows afterwards. Just remember to backup what you want to keep from both operating systems before proceeding.

Ideally, you need to run Disk Utility to prep your target drive before installing - with the right settings this should create an EFI partition.
  • Boot from your installer USB (select the Install macOS option)
  • select Disk Utility from the macOS installer menu
  • select your target drive (there should be a list icon in the top left corner; click it, and select "show all devices", then select the drive in the sidebar - not the partitions)
  • then click erase.

What you name it doesn't matter, but you must set it up for APFS with a GUID partition table. Click erase again to let it do its thing, and close the dialog box when it's done. Then quit Disk Utility.

Optionally, open a terminal from the menu and run diskutil list again. Hopefully you should now see an EFI partition on your newly-erased target drive. If all's good, quit Terminal and reinstall macOS to your freshly-erased target drive. Once it's done, you should be able to copy over your EFI folder to the EFI partition, using MountEFI to automate the mounting.

As I said, if you have windows installed on another physical disk/SSD, that should be untouched. Depending on how it was installed, OpenCore may pick it up and let you boot it for you. But if you had and intend to have both Windows and macOS on the same physical drive, you will have erased it as above, and will need to reinstall it again, after you install macOS. This is ever-so-slightly more complex, and best explained here

Incidentally, about transferring between macOS and Windows. I'd advise creating a partition on one of the other disks (that 5TB Seagate may be a good candidate) and formatting it to exFAT. This is read/writable in both Windows and macOS and so would make an excellent common storage area.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back