Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi Friends;

This is my first build.

I have a GA-Z68A-DH3-B3, F11 bios, i5-2500k, trying to write to a Hitachi 80gb travelstar drive (Mac Extended Journaled, zeroed, GUID partition map), same RAM and bios settings as Stork's Sandy Bridge (1.35V memory, and BIOS is set for it), Sony Optiarc DVD, GeForce 8400GS. Using the rBoot + Apple 10.6.3 DVD method, the rBoot does it's thing, but the computer won't boot from the DVD. What seems to happen is that after you press F5 (after loading the 10.6.3 DVD) you press Enter, the computer resets, and I see the POST stuff, but the screen just blinks with the "Loading Operating System...
.........................", and later, the DVD stops spinning. Now, I tried using CCC to copy the HD from a MBP, then ran Multibeast on that, and that can boot and run SL, but it's buggy (I need to edit the kext for the 8400GS, as Disc Utility will crash the system, iTunes won't run, etc), and I wanted to do it properly. Starting on that drive (WD320GB), I tried to load OSX from the DVD, but before the install is complete, it seems to restart/reset, and then won't load the DVD. I have boot priority set to CD, then HD. I had tried "Optiarc DVD" for the first load, that didn't work. Tried various SATA plugs, no change. Doing my best to follow the guides to the letter. I probably missed something. Any clues?

Catahula said:
Hi Friends;

This is my first build.

I have a GA-Z68A-DH3-B3, F11 bios, i5-2500, trying a Hitachi 80gb travelstar drive (Mac Extended Journaled, zeroed, GUID partition map), same RAM and bios settings as Stork's Sandy Bridge (1.35V memory, and BIOS is set for it), Sony Optiarc DVD, GeForce 8400GS. Using the rBoot + Apple 10.6.3 DVD method, the rBoot does it's thing, but the computer won't boot from the DVD. What seems to happen is that after you press F5 (after loading the 10.6.3 DVD) you press Enter, the computer resets, and I see the POST stuff, but the screen just blinks with the "Loading Operating System...
.........................", and later, the DVD stops spinning. Now, I tried using CCC to copy the HD from a MBP, then ran Multibeast on that, and that can boot and run SL, but it's buggy (I need to edit the kext for the 8400GS, as Disc Utility will crash the system, iTunes won't run, etc), and I wanted to do it properly. Starting on that drive (WD320GB), I tried to load OSX from the DVD, but before the install is complete, it seems to restart/reset, and then won't load the DVD. I have boot priority set to CD, then HD. I had tried "Optiarc DVD" for the first load, that didn't work. Tried various SATA plugs, no change. Doing my best to follow the guides to the letter. I probably missed something. Any clues?
You should not get a reset when you hit F5 to refresh. You should get a screen that shows the OS X DVD icon rather than the rBoot icon.
When swapping rBoot for the OS X DVD, after you close the tray, wait until the disc activity light goes out and the disc stops spinning before you hit F5. If that doesn't work, you might try with iBoot rather than rBoot although it shouldn't make a diffeence.

Are you using the correct version of rBoot? There is rBoot for desktops and rBoot LE for laptops, using the laptop version might cause issues on a desktop...

Here's what I'm doing- Using rBoot 1.2, which works. Swap disks. Push F5, which shows the Mac installer disc. But no matter what boot flags you do or don't use, the installer doesn't come up. The installer seems to make the computer restart, and without iBoot, the computer won't recognize the OSX installer.

Tried to open the installer from another HD. That works, until part way through the install, the computer restarts, and then it boots on the HD, not the installer disc.

Do I RUN iBoot, or just have it come up, and then switch disks?

Catahula said:
Here's what I'm doing- Using rBoot 1.2, which works. Swap disks. Push F5, which shows the Mac installer disc. But no matter what boot flags you do or don't use, the installer doesn't come up. The installer seems to make the computer restart, and without iBoot, the computer won't recognize the OSX installer.

Tried to open the installer from another HD. That works, until part way through the install, the computer restarts, and then it boots on the HD, not the installer disc.

Do I RUN iBoot, or just have it come up, and then switch disks?
You BOOT with iBoot or rBoot as if they were the install DVD. When the BIOS post is finished (if you have the DVD/CD drive first in BIOS boot order) it should spin up the boot CD and then you should get the Chimera/Chameleon screen with an icon for the iBoot/rBoot CD. When you reach this point, eject the boot CD and replace it with the retail OS X DVD. Wait until the disc spins up and spins down and the drive light goes off. Then hit F5 to rfresh the screen. You should now see the OS X install icon. It should be hi-lited already, so just start typing if you want to use boot flags and then hit enter.

Wait until the disc spins up and spins down and the drive light goes off. Then hit F5 to rfresh the screen. You should now see the OS X install icon. It should be hi-lited already, so just start typing if you want to use boot flags and then hit enter.[/quote]

Ok, doing exactly that. What happens is the computer resets/reboots after you select the OSX disc and press enter. You see the screen go through the BIOS checks and after that, and the screen says "Loading Operating System...................", and nothing else happens, DVD stops spinning, nothing but the "Loading Operating System ........................." showing on the screen. Blinking cursor at the end of the periods. Pressing "F5" or any other key once it gets to this point does nothing. If I eject the OSX dvd and put rBoot back in, it also gives the "Loading Operating System......." screen, with no action.

Trying to boot verbose, it gives me some "Restart Fix Applied", or something to that effect before it restarts. Anything in bios settings come to mind?

Seems like after the reset/reboot, there's no bootloader to launch OSX. How can I prevent the computer from restarting? This is the very latest (SL) OSX install disc, 10.6.3, just got it this week from Apple.

Hmmm. Not sure if I'm clear on this. rBoot works. The problem is, when you try to start the OSX install disc, it spins up, and then the computer reboots, which means no bootloader, as the OSX disc requires a helper app to run.

Anyone have any suggestions as to:

a) Prevent the computer from restarting when installing OSX

b) Suggest any BIOS settings which would help / hurt. I've read several guides, and set all the BIOS settings as per the guides, trying different options when there wasn't agreement.

c) enable Multibeast to install to a disc which isn't the boot drive.

d) run some other program to put a bootloader before the OSX install disc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back