Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Can't launch Catalina installer on ROG Maximus XI Hero, i9-9900KS, Radeon RX 580

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero
CPU
i9-9900KS
Graphics
Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Pulse, 8GB
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi everyone!

After a successful build with older hardware, I purchased a new desktop machine following (mostly) the advice in the buyer's guide:
- ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, BIOS version 1302
- i9-9900KS
- Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Pulse, 8 GB
- 32 (4x8) GB Ballistix DDR4-2666
- Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB SSD (NVMe M.2)

Keyboard and mouse (both Razer) are connected to the rear USB 2.0 ports next to the PS/2 socket.
The monitor (BenQ EX3501R) has a display port connection to the RX 580.

I have created a USB installer as described in this post and plugged the thumb drive into the last remaining USB 2.0 port.
Clover starts up and tries to boot the Catalina installer, but I can't get past the following lines (in verbose mode):
Code:
SMCRTC: start
HID: Legacy shim 2
HID: Legaconsole relocated to 0x7f80000000
[ PCI configuration end, bridges 5, devices 13 ]
At this point, keyboard and mouse illumination is turned off and the system seems to freeze.

I already tried PCIRootUID=1, Safe Mode (-x) and injecting ATI, but that hasn't got me any further...

From what I've been reading here I think that the machine should be able to run macOS 10.15, but I'm still new to the required tinkering with Clover.
I would appreciate any hint on what I might be doing wrong.

I've attached my current EFI folder and a text file containing my BIOS/UEFI settings.

Thanks in advance! :)
IMG_3119.jpg

Attachments

• EFI.ZIP
    3.4 MB · Views: 110
  • bios.txt
    4.2 KB · Views: 175
hello

try this EFI

replace with EFI on USB installer

one more thing

dose your Bois has RTC option if not add it using clover RTC Fix

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    4.3 MB · Views: 209
  • Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 7.52.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 7.52.50 AM.png
    49 KB · Views: 224
Thanks for your help!

Unfortunately, your EFI just took me about two lines further (in verbose mode) and I was stuck at the infamous apfs_module_start:1683 line.
I installed the SSDT-EC.aml file, but to no avail. The installer doesn't show.

For the time being, I will stop trying to install Catalina and attempt to install Mojave first. There's way more documentation about the combination Clover + Mojave, so I'm going to follow that route in order to learn about how Clover works and how it needs to be configured.

Only a couple kexts work for me from that EFI now i'm stuck at installing on the GUI less than a minute remaining. Usually, I can get past this by restarting.

Last edited:
Ok, I finally got Catalina working on my machine. :)

ModMike's Everything Works thread contained most of the information that I needed, along with an (almost) working EFI folder.

This is what I had to do:
  • changed the UEFI setup settings to match ModMike's recommendation
  • installed the EFI folder for Catalina with dedicated graphics card (CATAL-DGPU-EFI; it's attached to the above mentioned thread)
  • updated some kexts in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Others to their newer versions which are available in the Downloads section (AppleALC, FakeSMC, Lily and WhateverGreen)
After that the installation went smoothly.

There was only one Gotcha! after the installation:
I signed into iCloud too soon, i.e. before having signed in at the Music and the TV apps, so I found myself unable to connect to the iTunes Store (error 11556). Fortunately, I had created a disk image right after the installation, so I could go back and do things in the right order.

Hello, is it possible to have your EFI?

Hi,
sure, I've attached my working EFI folder. It works for me with the current update (10.15.4).
However, you'll need to put your own serial numbers and UUIDs in EFI/CLOVER/config.plist.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    22.6 MB · Views: 146
thank you very much, but in the meantime I found what was wrong with my EFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back