Hi.

My hardware :
Gigabyte z170n-gaming 5
i7-6700K
16g corsair
512g Samsung 950 Pro NVME M.2 - El Capitan
1tb Samsung 850 Evo - Windows 10
All running UEFI

I have been running a dual-boot system for a months time.
I started installing El Capitan using Clover and afterwards i installed Windows 10. I could choose between the two installations in the Clover menu and everything was great.
Last night i wanted to start Windows as i did many times before, but this time the Windows startup screen with the spinning circle just kept spinning. I gave it over 1 hour and tried various things like disconnecting all USB devices, booting fail-safe but nothing would get it up and running.

Booted back into OS X again and mounted the NTFS drive and backed up some save-games and other "important" things, with the intention of reinstalling Windows 10.

I then formatted the drive in OS X with 1 GPT partition as i did the first time installing Windows, and also what various guide´s tells me to do. Then inserted my Windows 10 UEFI USB stick and choose it start-up boot menu.
After typing in product key and choosing Custom install, I then choose the newly formatted GPT partition and choose 'delete' and then next to install Windows onto that. At next screen i receive the message : "Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of Installation. To Install Windows, restart the installation."
I did some research and also read this thread 'https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/unable-to-install-windows-10.180258/' that suggest pulling out all other drives than the one i want to install windows 10 on. My problem with that is that OS X is installed on a Samsung 950 PRO m2 on the backside of my motherboard NOT easy accessible.

I looked for a way to disable it in UEFI/BIOS (firmware) without luck.
I didnt have this problem first time installing Windows 10, so there must be a way to achieve this without removing motherboard.

Anybody got some good advice for me?

Best regards
Kasper

Hi.

My hardware :
Gigabyte z170n-gaming 5
i7-6700K
16g corsair
512g Samsung 950 Pro NVME M.2 - El Capitan
1tb Samsung 850 Evo - Windows 10
All running UEFI

I have been running a dual-boot system for a months time.
I started installing El Capitan using Clover and afterwards i installed Windows 10. I could choose between the two installations in the Clover menu and everything was great.
Last night i wanted to start Windows as i did many times before, but this time the Windows startup screen with the spinning circle just kept spinning. I gave it over 1 hour and tried various things like disconnecting all USB devices, booting fail-safe but nothing would get it up and running.

Booted back into OS X again and mounted the NTFS drive and backed up some save-games and other "important" things, with the intention of reinstalling Windows 10.

I then formatted the drive in OS X with 1 GPT partition as i did the first time installing Windows, and also what various guide´s tells me to do. Then inserted my Windows 10 UEFI USB stick and choose it start-up boot menu.
After typing in product key and choosing Custom install, I then choose the newly formatted GPT partition and choose 'delete' and then next to install Windows onto that. At next screen i receive the message : "Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of Installation. To Install Windows, restart the installation."
I did some research and also read this thread 'https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/unable-to-install-windows-10.180258/' that suggest pulling out all other drives than the one i want to install windows 10 on. My problem with that is that OS X is installed on a Samsung 950 PRO m2 on the backside of my motherboard NOT easy accessible.

I looked for a way to disable it in UEFI/BIOS (firmware) without luck.
I didnt have this problem first time installing Windows 10, so there must be a way to achieve this without removing motherboard.

Anybody got some good advice for me?

Best regards
Kasper
Boot the Windows 10 installer. At the first screen where it wants you to select repai or install hit shift+F10 to open a command window.
Type the following, hitting enter after each line (/// indicates explanation - do not type this)

cd\
diskpart
list disk ///this gives you a list of connected drives - identify yours - say it is disk 1
select disk 1
clean
convert gpt
exit
exit

this should bring you back to the installation window - select install, select Custom install.
In the window to select the drive to install Windows select the free space of the drive you just cleaned and converted to GPT (GUID Partition Tables) and click continue to begin the installation.

Amazing.... Thank you VERY much :)
Saving this info in my by now rather large note collection of notes.

Again, thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back