Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Inspiron 11 3153
CPU
i3-6100u
Graphics
HD 520
Im fairly certain the problems I am having are due to Renesas USB 3.0 and 10.11, but I cant for the life of me figure out how to overcome it. Im fine not using USB3, and using the ports as 2.0 (if possible). The laptop has 3 usb ports, 2 USB3 and 1 USB2. Ive flashed a modified BIOS, and it does allow me to turn off particular USB ports, but there are lots of them in there and its not clear what is what, but it is theoretically possible to shut them off via bios if needbe.

I have UEFI clover and the 10.11.5 installer downloaded from the appstore on a usb2 16gb stick. Clover loads just fine, but when i try to boot, I get still waiting for root device, followed by garbled text 99% of the time. if i do safe mode sometimes ill get a kernel panic, but thats about it.

Here is what it looks like
IMG_4456.jpg

ive also attached the EFI folder from the USB stick (themes folder removed). I tried adding the genericusb kext to the kexts folder, but that doesnt work. I also tried following the 10.11 usb sticky, but that seems to be post install issues. What should I do to get past this point?

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 71
Im fairly certain the problems I am having are due to Renesas USB 3.0 and 10.11, but I cant for the life of me figure out how to overcome it. Im fine not using USB3, and using the ports as 2.0 (if possible). The laptop has 3 usb ports, 2 USB3 and 1 USB2. Ive flashed a modified BIOS, and it does allow me to turn off particular USB ports, but there are lots of them in there and its not clear what is what, but it is theoretically possible to shut them off via bios if needbe.

I have UEFI clover and the 10.11.5 installer downloaded from the appstore on a usb2 16gb stick. Clover loads just fine, but when i try to boot, I get still waiting for root device, followed by garbled text 99% of the time. if i do safe mode sometimes ill get a kernel panic, but thats about it.

Here is what it looks like
View attachment 207319

ive also attached the EFI folder from the USB stick (themes folder removed). I tried adding the genericusb kext to the kexts folder, but that doesnt work. I also tried following the 10.11 usb sticky, but that seems to be post install issues. What should I do to get past this point?

Use an Intel USB2 port if your laptop has one...

Use an Intel USB2 port if your laptop has one...
As far as I can tell, the only USB2 port I have (which is the one the stick is plugged into) is an Intel port. I get this same issue no matter which port its plugged into, but ive always tended to use the usb2 port due to knowing there are issues with usb3

I reinstalled clover and followed the guide step by step, here is my new EFI folder

Giving it a go.

Attachments

• EFI 2.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 72
I reinstalled clover and followed the guide step by step, here is my new EFI folder

Giving it a go.

ACPI/patched is not per guide (no patched ACPI required for reaching the installer).

The Clover version you're using (r3650) is not the one recommended by the guide (r3625).

It is not possible to determine if you have the correct config.plist. Your signature does not indicate screen resolution (see request for hardware details in the guide).

Sorry about that, 1366x768 is the resolution.
I used config_HD3000_1366x768.plist renamed to config.plist

I assumed this is the right one as its not a series 7 motherboard.

You say no patched ACPI is required to get to the installer, so it should be ok that its not per guide, right? I can do this on the HDD after install is done?

I can reinstall clover again. I figured any version above 3625 was ok, but no problem I can redo.

Anyway, a bit of progress with the install the way it is now. The other error doesnt come up, but now i get a kernel panic.
IMG_4494.jpg

Should I go ahead and reinstall clover to the earlier revision before doing anything further or should I do something more when I do the reinstall so Im not doing it multiple times?

You say no patched ACPI is required to get to the installer,

Yes, and yet you ignore the advice with SSDT-2.aml in ACPI/patched.

I figured any version above 3625 was ok, but no problem I can redo.

No. The guide is very clear about it.

Should I go ahead and reinstall clover to the earlier revision before doing anything further

Yes.

Yes, and yet you ignore the advice with SSDT-2.aml in ACPI/patched.

No. The guide is very clear about it.

Yes.
I didnt delete the clover folder when i reinstalled, so thats probably half the problem. User error. Ill try again, this time with the right revision and not having a preexisting folder with things that shouldnt be there. Ill reinstall and repost again, hopefully i get it right this time.

I appreciate the help, Im sure it has to get frustrating at times but you are definitely appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back