Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Now I am sure you guys get this all the time. Hopefully we can collectively come up with some answers...

Here's the lowdown: I am trying to install OSX on a Gateway FX510S to use as a main studio computer, and then as a Logic Node once I finish building my Monster Hack Pro. Here is my limitation: I need to install via USB, and nothing seems to be bootable so far. I've worked through kernel panics and the like, but now whenever I select the Snow Leopard Install DVD from either Chameleon or iBoot, I end up with the fabled "You need to restart your computer" error. Any ideas?

Once again, the system is a Gateway FX510S, with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor. Not sure about the motherboard, but I believe it to also be Intel.

I've tried four or five different methods... To no avail. Maybe someone can give me some guidance here? Thanks in advance!

Follow the guide.

Boot with iBoot disc. (you seem to be able to do this)
Replace iBoot disc with your RETAIL Snow Leopard DVD.
Hit F5
Select Snow Leopard DVD
Proceed with install.

Yeah, when I select the DVD is when all of my problems seem to happen. The gray box pops up, saying "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the power button etc..." I know that this is a kernel panic of some sort... any ideas on how to get by it?

EricFish said:
I need to install via USB, and nothing seems to be bootable so far.
Per the above quote (and per the Post Subject) you are not using a DVD. Use the DVD.

And therein lies the problem... the computer I'm using, for some reason, REFUSES by all means to read a dual-layer DVD. Regular dvds are completely fine, but for some strange reason, dual-layer just doesn't cut it. I think it's a problem with the drive, but I can't be sure. Is there any way of transferring the information to standard DVDs? It's becoming quite frustrating... and I know a simple solution. Get a new optical drive. That would take some time... but it's possible. Thanks for the reply!

EDIT: Just found this. http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/01/ ... ingle.html

Awesome. Will be doing this now, post back to let you know if it worked.

So. I created the SL DVD, everything seems gravy. As soon as I try to boot the disk from the iBoot menu... kernel panic AGAIN. Gray box. "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the power button until it turns off, then press the Power button again."

Gonna keep trying... maybe it's a BIOS thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back