Graphics
Intel 4600 & nvidia GTX660
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I had some trouble with some Adobe products and their Application Manager crashed.

I went to restart, and I get past the Gigabyte info and the tonymac splash screen, then gray with Apple and spinning gear, and then a circle with a slash appears over the apple logo.

I keep trying to get into the BIOS, as I have a clone drive installed, but pressing del or f12 or anything else seems to do nothing; using a USB wired keyboard [edit: got there with a PC keyboard, but saw nothing obvious with BIOS].

Suggestions?

Using GB 87x UD5H motherboard, 4770, Samsung SSD, 10.9.4.

Rob

I had some trouble with some Adobe products and their Application Manager crashed.

I went to restart, and I get past the Gigabyte info and the tonymac splash screen, then gray with Apple and spinning gear, and then a circle with a slash appears over the apple logo.

I keep trying to get into the BIOS, as I have a clone drive installed, but pressing del or f12 or anything else seems to do nothing; using a USB wired keyboard.

Suggestions?

Using GB 87x UD5H motherboard, 4770, Samsung SSD, 10.9.4.

Please put your system specs in your profile/sig as per the Rules - It will help others to help you.

Thanks in anticipation.

Try your keyboard in a different port.

Remove your power lead - Hold in the on button for 30 secs - Release the button - Plug your power lead in and switch on.

If that doesn't work,

Clear your CMOS settings by removing the chrome coin battery from your motherboard for a short while after first disconnecting your power lead.

Good Luck

OK. Used my USB Multibeast stick; finally found out it had to go into a USB 2 slot, not 3. Gave me the option to boot into my clone, which went fine (SOO SLOWWW). SSD volume seems fine, permissions, volume info, etc. Can't figure why it won't boot.

Sorry 'bout the profile; it was there but I didn't realize the "other" info didn't show up. It had been entered a long time ago.

Still getting no boot. Ran Multibeast again and installed the same stuff as before. Didn't work.

Ran in verbose mode; stopped at USBMSC Identifier (non-unique): [then number strings], then "waiting for root device"

Tried safe mode, got the progress bar then a black screen. Then -F, but now I keep getting the black screen.

Suggestions?

Must have been a system problem. I restored and it works. Frakking Adobe had me delete some stuff and it crashed it super hard. Never had software bork a whole volume like that before. Wish I had a utility that would just delete every Adobe addition....

Anyway, for future instances like this I have a question or two.

First, I restore from my USB Unibeast stick. I got a couple of kernal panics and went and jiggered some settings back and forth in the BIOS. Does it have a cache or something? I thought I had changed and then reverted to exactly the same settings that didn't work, but then they did, which might indicate I flushed a cache.

Second, I restored from the USB stick. It worked. But it got me to wondering if there's any way to access the Mac created EFI partition for restoring.

Finally, I have some drives that are the same type. And on a volume on one is a clone of my system. I couldn't figure out how to select it and boot from it in the BIOS. Given it's a volume on a partition, that may not be possible. But is there a way to do that? If I want to get to it now I boot from the USB stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back