Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 512K
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi everyone. I'm a crazy old Senior whose first computer was the classic 512K Macintosh, back in 1984... NO hard drive was available back then. Everything was on 1440K 3.5" floppies... If I remember right, when a HD did come out, it was a 10Meg 5-1/4" drive!
But back to the main topic: I'm trying to build a Macintosh with the new Gigabyte H370M DS3H motherboard, a Core i3-8300 cpu (got it on sale for less than the 8100), and G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory. I plan to stick with the integrated video until I get it going. It's all going into a Rosewill case, nothing fancy.
My problem is that when I put together the USB with UniBeast and add MultiBeast to the USB, it will boot to Clover, then I can start the macOS install, but it freezes just before the progress bar gets to the end. I end up with a dark screen with a slashed circle in the middle. My bios / uefi settings are so different from what I see in the guides that I'm at a bit of a "conflabulation".
Anyone willing to extend some help?

From one crazy old senior to another (attempting first build myself) - what I think is happenning is that MacOS is trying to reboot without the required bootloader.
I can't promise this is the answer, but I think what you need to do is to reboot from the USB again (ie hit F12 on the POST screen to bring up the boot options -> USB UEFI partition). There should now be more options available in Clover - try the HFS option to see if the install will complete.
I don't have a fully working system yet but I'm willing to help with bios settings.
Cheers

Last edited:
I end up with a dark screen with a slashed circle in the middle.
That is what Apple refer to as the prohibitory symbol.
You should boot in verbose mode and post a picture of the screen when it stops.

Hi again.
FINALLY Success!
I thought I had tried nearly all of the possible setup combinations to get the USB drive with Unibeast. NO LUCK. So, I wondered to myself if it would work using a small SSD (I had a 64Gb ssd lying around). The High Sierra was not completing at all on the USB, so I tried the Sierra, and it would load. Consequently, I loaded the Sierra version on the SSD, and the appropriate Multibeast files afterwards. Then I connected the SSD directly to the SATA port on the mobo. AND IT Worked! Booted right into the macOS installer, and proceeded through without any hitch. After it loaded, I opened the Multibeast and added some (random entries) for booting, ethernet, video, etc. I wish I knew more about how to proceed there, but that will come with more research and reading on the blogs here. I'm sure there will be a lot of fine tuning in the near future. Any tips and hints are welcome.

hack - 2.jpg
hack - 1.jpg
hack - 3.jpg

I wish I could say end of story here. However, I did something with Multibeast that wasn't quite right, without really knowing what I was doing, and I can't get back in, or get anything to load again. I'm currently concentrating on High Sierra, trying to get it up and running, but there seems to be a lot I'm missing somehow. I seem to have the same problem whether I try booting & loading from either a USB drive, or a small SSD. I'm using another SSD to take the installation in an effort to move things along ad a "brisk pace."

What is the purpose of a kext file? How do I find out where it's supposed to go? What else should I be learning about and doing? I'm attaching a screen-pic of where I'm stuck.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
screen - 1.jpg

My what sharp eyes you have! Yes. Thanks for your input. I did notice that on a couple of trys the serial port was not disabled. That's fixed, but my problem remains, unfortunately.

One more time here! High Sierra is up and running again, but pre-Multibeast. Any time I run MB, seems I run into boot problems. So, no ethernet, no wifi, no audio, and the video doesn't appear to be optimized, BUT all the USB ports are working (Don't know about the new style 3.1 port). However, I succeeded in running Geekbench 4 with a multi-core score of 15317. Quite satisfactory.

I should add that I've updated the BIOS to F3.

Another strange thing: I connected the SSD from my dead 2012 MacBook Pro Retina (running High Sierra), ostensibly to make another backup, and noticed it was listed as one of Clover's start-up disks. For laughs and giggles, I clicked on it, and IT BOOTED UP AND RAN! My Windows 7 Virtual Machine even ran normally. Amazing.

What do I need to do from here to resolve ethernet, wifi, video and audio?

As always, I'm very thankful for your help and support!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back