Contribute
Register

cant download sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z170 > Need make and full model names > See Forum Rules!
CPU
i5-6600K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I have been trying to get a copy of sierra downloaded on my macbook pro so I can start making a copy to try and install on my gigabyte z170n gaming 5. The installer is missing from the applications folder, and I found a link on here that takes you to the download location for sierra 10.12.6 in the app store but when it opened in the store it game me an error saying something about not having permission to download because I already owned it. I dont know the exact error because my wife has the mac with her at work right now. I tried downloading but not installing the high sierra installer but only got the 15mb file, not the full installer. I currently cant update the macbook to high sierra because it breaks compatibility with something that my wife needs to remote login at her work. I am stumped about what to do from this point. any help would be appreciated.

edit. When I downloaded unibeast (i tried all the versions from 5 up to the newest) I get to the point where it asks me to select the os to make to usb drive from and the OS is greyed out and nothing can be selected. Not sure if this info is useful but thought I would throw that in there.

I have been trying to get a copy of sierra downloaded on my macbook pro so I can start making a copy to try and install on my gigabyte z170n gaming 5. The installer is missing from the applications folder, and I found a link on here that takes you to the download location for sierra 10.12.6 in the app store but when it opened in the store it game me an error saying something about not having permission to download because I already owned it. I dont know the exact error because my wife has the mac with her at work right now. I tried downloading but not installing the high sierra installer but only got the 15mb file, not the full installer. I currently cant update the macbook to high sierra because it breaks compatibility with something that my wife needs to remote login at her work. I am stumped about what to do from this point. any help would be appreciated.

edit. When I downloaded unibeast (i tried all the versions from 5 up to the newest) I get to the point where it asks me to select the os to make to usb drive from and the OS is greyed out and nothing can be selected. Not sure if this info is useful but thought I would throw that in there.
Having been in this extremely frustrating situation myself - I have a late 2011 macbook pro with fried discrete graphics and an original mac pro both of which are now running El Capitan. The fix used to make the 2011 Macbook pro work exclusively on integrated graphics involves booting it into archlinux to edit (I think) NVRAM settings, and I haven't dared update it since. Consequently I missed the boat and since I never tried to install Sierra when it was current, it is neither in my applications folder nor - which you need to check - is it in my purchased folder on the Mac App store. This meant I had to borrow from a friend an installer I'm perfectly legally entitled to have, just as I have installers for every OS back to PowerPC OS 7 and 8. So check your purchased tab on the MAS and otherwise wait for access to your wife's macbook. Lastly you don't seem to be making a distinction between High Sierra and Sierra - now that High Sierra is current that will be the only available option on your wife's macbook unless she currently has Sierra installed in which case she will be able to download it again from 'purchased'. Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back