Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
CPU
i7 3770
Graphics
GTX 970
Hi,

I suddently can't select another Startup-Disk anymore.
Well, I can select it in the Preferences, but it keeps booting from my SSD.
It also boots right away. I cannot enter the BIOS anymore or stop booting and select the boot drive. No F12 or any other button....

???

For choosing a boot drive a install of chimera would be sufficient.

It doesn't solve your bios problem but hey, one thing done.

I had this extremely frustrating problem with my system. I was running Windows 7 at the time. What I found that fixed the problem was going into BIOS and removing everything from the bootlist (especially USB devices) that I wasnt going to boot from. Remove everything except hard disks. One more thing - I know this will sound weird but my Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H has 2 ways of viewing BIOS settings. When I change the bootlist using the new view, changes got lost. When I changed them using classic view, they stuck. Don't ask me why. lol It's a mystery but after a lot of trial and error, its now working properly.

hiya mate I've just had this problem with the BIOS what worked for me was to shut down turn ur power supply off or unplug it and tap ur power button a few times to discharge your motherboard then power back up and u should be able to get in to BIOS and use F12 to get to boot select

thanx guys

@Apfelring: it was installed. just installed the newest oone. no change.
@brickpower: how do I do that? I can't enter BIOS
@jehuty85: good idea, but no success :crazy:

maybe my keyboard is not working anymore until osx is up?!?!

If your BIOS is not catching the F12 key (or whatever the key is for your MainBoard) try mashing all the keys at once. :headbang: Bang away furiously! This is old school I know.

Serioulsy, by banging everything it will overload the keyboard buffer and force a BIOS entry. Since the move to USB keyboards this hasn't been quite as effective but give it a try.

Noooooo!

Now I really need help!
I can enter the BIOS again and select the boot drive BUT now get stuck at the spinning wheel getting this scarry messages using -v

Here is what happened: I used this little restart button on my case and it got stuck inside. So I opened the case to fix it. next time i turn on the machine I get the message that the the mainboard is corrupt and some automatic fixing going on. from that point on, I get the spinning wheel. Backupdrive doesnt boot as well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 88
Update:

meanwhile I turned on and off the machine countless times. once it suddenly (after long spinning wheel) it boots, but using the backup drive. just to make sure I ran kext wisard and make a restart. Stuck again. and again and again. after another countless tries, suddenly again it boots, this time from my real drive. I don't understand whats going on. I am afraid to turn off the computer now, without knowing what I should do now.....?? I am puzzeled.

Fearing reboot is pointless. It sounds to me like your panicked and just acting. When I have been like this, I have done some really stupid stuff. You need to calm down. Regarding getting into the BIOS. That should be your first priority - Figuring out what is causing you not to be able to get into it any time you want. I would start by disconnecting all peripherals except 1 hdd, monitor, keyboard, and mouse. Remove all pci(e) cards, USB devices, etc, and try to boot into BIOS a few times to make sure you can consistently get in. If it doesnt work, switch keyboards, try using a ps/2 port keyboard if youre currently using a USB.

If that works, as I expect it will, add peripherals one by one, rebooting into BIOS each time to figure out which one is going wonky with your motherboard. If it doesnt work and youve tested with a different keyboard, your MB is having intermittent problems. It will need to be replaced.

@brickpower
thank you for the advice.

By now I can get into BIOS constantly. Just as written earlier, the problem is worse now: I can't boot afterwards anymore. Got stuck at the spinning wheel...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back