CPU
i9 > need model # > See Rules!
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Just built my system and everything worked well with iGPU (UHD 630). I added an XFX RX 560 and I can't boot to High Sierra.

i5-8400
ASRock z370m-ITX/ac
G.Skill Aegis DDR4 8GB
XFX RX560 4GB
Samsung 960 EVO m.2 SSD

I've followed all the guides and tried multiple suggestions from different searches and yet no luck.

When I switch to PCIe, it gets stuck on the apple logo.

I changed the BIOS settings
  • Integrated -> PCIE Express
  • Memory to 128mb
  • Igpu Multi monitor - Enabled

Added custom flags
  • shivigva=4
  • -rad4200
I changed
  • ig-platform-id = 0x59120003
I've tried with and without EmuVariableUefi-64.efi.

I've tried with and without WhateverGreen.ktext.

I've tried with and without RadeonDeInit.

I've hit a wall and I'm not sure where to go from here. I'm attaching my config.plist and a screenshot of my drivers and ktexts. Hope someone can help. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    5.1 KB · Views: 95
  • Drivers and ktext.png
    Drivers and ktext.png
    756.6 KB · Views: 403
Try disabling your iGPU in BIOS, add Lilu.kext and whatevergreen.kext nothing else in terms of custom flags in config.plist.

Thank you for your suggestion but it didn't work. I tried that before but i just tried it again just to confirm and I still can't get in. I did a Verbose boot and I am stuck at gIOScreenLockState 3. Not sure if that helps.

This is a known problem with XFX RX560's.

What you need to do is boot into Windows and change your vBIOS to Sapphire RX560 Pulse OC 4GB via ATIFlash (with admin privilege). Make sure to run it with admin priveleages as well as put the bios file inside c:\atiflash. If you are getting errors with the GUI version of ATI Flash (like I was), run the command line with administrative privilege.

This is the command line:

Code:
atiflash -p 0 biosname.rom

Also make sure to backup your XFX bios BEFORE you flash to the new one in case you want to reverse the changes in the future. The XFX BIOS is hard to find online.

After you change the BIOS to Sapphire, you should ENABLE iGPU (set GPU settings to AUTO or PEG0) and use iMac 18,3 and put nVidiaGraphicFixup.kext in EFI/Kext/Other (yes yes I know the name is nVidia, but it does important things like enable secondary ports and gets rid of black screen in 18,3 SMBIOS).

You want to get as close as possible GPU wise to the retail 2017 iMac (which has an iGPU and an RX 5xx)

Note: If you do not have Windows, I guess you need to create a bootable DOS USB flash from macOS and put atiflash (and the corresponding .rom file) on the USB. See if you can create a bootable USB with FreeDOS on it from macOS.

Last edited:
Thanks for that information. I’ve been banging my head against a wall trying to figure it out. I’m going to return it and get a different card. Any others I should avoid?

Thanks for that information. I’ve been banging my head against a wall trying to figure it out. I’m going to return it and get a different card. Any others I should avoid?

You don't have to return the card since you have it in your possession. It takes literally a few minutes to change the vBIOS. I had your same card (with Sapphire vBIOS) running for a month or so and it worked perfectly fine with Lilu, WhateverGreen and nVidiaGraphicFixup....I recently moved to Vega FE because I found a good deal and snatched it up.

If you really don't want to do the above, just find a Sapphire Pulse OC 4GB RX560 and you're good to go.

I haven't tried the other brands like MSI etc. so I can't comment on them, but it seems (don't quote me 100% here) that XFX is the one with the most issues. If you can find another brand from a local store, return the XFX and buy that RX560 and give it a shot.

I bought the XFX RX560 from a local Best Buy because I really needed a GPU asap, so that was my only choice.

Also afaik, Apple uses the Sapphire RX Pulse line in the iMacs.

Last edited:
I am running an Asus RX 560 OC 4GB, I haven't had to do anything to the card to get it to work properly, other than use the two kexts I suggested.

[QUOTE = "izo1, post: 1699280, membro: 726192"] Esse é um problema conhecido com o XFX RX560.

O que você precisa fazer é inicializar no Windows e alterar seu vBIOS para o Sapphire RX560 Pulse OC 4GB via ATIFlash (com privilégio de administrador). Certifique-se de executá-lo com privilégios de administrador, bem como colocar o arquivo do BIOS dentro de c: \ atiflash. Se você estiver recebendo erros com a versão GUI do ATI Flash (como eu estava), execute a linha de comando com privilégios administrativos.

Esta é a linha de comando:

[código] atiflash -p 0 biosname.rom [/ code]

Além disso, certifique-se de fazer backup do BIOS da XFX ANTES de flashear para o novo, caso queira reverter as alterações no futuro. O BIOS da XFX é difícil de encontrar online.

Depois de alterar o BIOS para Sapphire, você deve ativar iGPU (definir configurações de GPU como AUTO ou PEG0) e usar o iMac 18,3 e colocar nVidiaGraphicFixup.kext em EFI / Kext / Other (sim, sim, eu sei que o nome é nVidia, mas faz coisas importantes, como ativar portas secundárias e se livrar da tela preta em 18,3 SMBIOS).

Você quer chegar o mais próximo possível da GPU do varejo para o iMac 2017 de varejo (que tem um iGPU e um RX 5xx)

Nota: Se você não tem o Windows, eu acho que você precisa criar um flash USB inicializável do DOS a partir do macOS e colocar o atiflash (e o arquivo .rom correspondente) no USB. Veja se você pode criar um USB inicializável com o FreeDOS a partir do macOS. [/ QUOTE]

Just built my system and everything worked well with iGPU (UHD 630). I added an XFX RX 560 and I can't boot to High Sierra.

i5-8400
ASRock z370m-ITX/ac
G.Skill Aegis DDR4 8GB
XFX RX560 4GB
Samsung 960 EVO m.2 SSD

I've followed all the guides and tried multiple suggestions from different searches and yet no luck.

When I switch to PCIe, it gets stuck on the apple logo.

I changed the BIOS settings
  • Integrated -> PCIE Express
  • Memory to 128mb
  • Igpu Multi monitor - Enabled

Added custom flags
  • shivigva=4
  • -rad4200
I changed
  • ig-platform-id = 0x59120003
I've tried with and without EmuVariableUefi-64.efi.

I've tried with and without WhateverGreen.ktext.

I've tried with and without RadeonDeInit.

I've hit a wall and I'm not sure where to go from here. I'm attaching my config.plist and a screenshot of my drivers and ktexts. Hope someone can help. Thanks in advance!

I use both AMD RX 550 AND 560 AND BOTH WORK 100% PLEASE SEE VIDEO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back