Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have had a stable system for three years.

I got a notice from Apple that there were updates for 10.6.8, and installed the latest update (I think June 10, 2013), and then I had a UPS power loss.

The system would not boot even with IBeast and would only boot with the SL install disk. Once booted the system appeared to be running fine, and there were no apparent problems in any of the programs. I cannot tell if the problems were due to the update (the IONDriver kext files appeared to have been added by the update)

I decided to rerun MultiBeast (the latest SL version) and try and cure the boot issues. I copied the DSDT file and added the soundrivers and port drivers I thought were required.

After running MultiBeast, the system locks up and will not get past the spinning wheel (with halt sign), nor boot into safe mode. The BIOS settings are all what Tony specified for AHCI. Verbose mode check hangs on "Still Waiting For Root Device --IOPOWSecCore." I could not even get it to go into recovery mode

Because I don't think I know how to access the terminal mode, I removed the HDD, placed it in an enclosure, and checked it on my Powerbook. The Hitachi HDD drive appears to be fine, without any apparent disk problems, which makes me think there is something messed up in the kext folder.

A list of the kext files is attached.

Which kext should I remove? Do I need all the ATI drivers if I have an NVIDIA card? Are the USB drivers correct

Although the data is backed up, if it is reasonably possible, I would prefer not to erase the HDD.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• macprokextlistr1.txt
    6.6 KB · Views: 202
I have had a stable system for three years.

I got a notice from Apple that there were updates for 10.6.8, and installed the latest update (I think June 10, 2013), and then I had a UPS power loss.

The system would not boot even with IBeast and would only boot with the SL install disk. Once booted the system appeared to be running fine, and there were no apparent problems in any of the programs. I cannot tell if the problems were due to the update (the IONDriver kext files appeared to have been added by the update)

I decided to rerun MultiBeast (the latest SL version) and try and cure the boot issues. I copied the DSDT file and added the soundrivers and port drivers I thought were required.

After running MultiBeast, the system locks up and will not get past the spinning wheel (with halt sign), nor boot into safe mode. The BIOS settings are all what Tony specified for AHCI. Verbose mode check hangs on "Still Waiting For Root Device --IOPOWSecCore." I could not even get it to go into recovery mode

Because I don't think I know how to access the terminal mode, I removed the HDD, placed it in an enclosure, and checked it on my Powerbook. The Hitachi HDD drive appears to be fine, without any apparent disk problems, which makes me think there is something messed up in the kext folder.

A list of the kext files is attached.

Which kext should I remove? Do I need all the ATI drivers if I have an NVIDIA card? Are the USB drivers correct

Although the data is backed up, if it is reasonably possible, I would prefer not to erase the HDD.

Thanks in advance.

mcharles
You stated this
"Still Waiting For Root Device."

You should do a search in the forums and using Google for "Still Waiting For Root Device "

This has been a problem w Hacks and you right a kexts is messed up -

One question do you run "Green drives"
Green drives are more power efficient lower RPMs and sleep sooner.
Not Recommended for Boot or OSX System Drive. IMHO...

I have read all the forum notes, and must be too stupid to understand.

I have been manually adding kext using my MacBookPro (with the HDD attached through a USB connection), and have now got I assume almost to the end of the bootloading (graphics and sound kext are loading fine) but the system stops at the NullCPUPowerManagement::start [PCI configuration begin ]. I assume this indicates I need nullpowercpu.kext However, although I know MB contains the file, as I can't get into MB and IBoot shows a terminal panic, is there a way to download the nullpower.kext for SL separately?

Thanks.

I have read all the forum notes, and must be too stupid to understand.

I have been manually adding kext using my MacBookPro (with the HDD attached through a USB connection), and have now got I assume almost to the end of the bootloading (graphics and sound kext are loading fine) but the system stops at the NullCPUPowerManagement::start [PCI configuration begin ]. I assume this indicates I need nullpowercpu.kext However, although I know MB contains the file, as I can't get into MB and IBoot shows a terminal panic, is there a way to download the nullpower.kext for SL separately?

Thanks.

mcharles

As you stated in one of the earlier posts you would like to start fresh -

What has been done w that approach - if you have a spare working Hard drive then you could test w that - say something under 500 GB -

This Motherboard has had success in Builds - http://legacy.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=8282

And should be a no brainer - do searches on the forum for you model of Motherboard and in Google -

Question to you have the Disks and programs that you use when you first make this hardware into a Hack - suggest if you do to try it with the older programs first the move to the newer ones.

If not you could try the LEGACY iBoot CD to BOOT and install OSX from.

Thanks.

Actually, because of the photos and the data on the drive (and the time consumption in dealing with Adobe for Photoshop if it is reinstalled), I would prefer to keep my existing drive if possible. (I did order a new 1 TB HDD if I cannot get the drive to boot)

After reading numerous posts this weekend, my suspicion is that the power drivers have to be reinstalled through MB.

My MacBook which I have attached the bad MacPro drive shows the MacPro drive is intact. I thought I might be able to run MultiBeast on the MacPro drive through the MacBook, but my MacBook is running 10.4 and MB will not open. I just ordered from Apple a new SL disk, and I assume I can run MB with the Misc power options essentially remotely. You think this will work?

Thanks.

Actually, because of the photos and the data on the drive (and the time consumption in dealing with Adobe for Photoshop if it is reinstalled), I would prefer to keep my existing drive if possible. (I did order a new 1 TB HDD if I cannot get the drive to boot)

After reading numerous posts this weekend, my suspicion is that the power drivers have to be reinstalled through MB.

My MacBook which I have attached the bad MacPro drive shows the MacPro drive is intact. I thought I might be able to run MultiBeast on the MacPro drive through the MacBook, but my MacBook is running 10.4 and MB will not open. I just ordered from Apple a new SL disk, and I assume I can run MB with the Misc power options essentially remotely. You think this will work?

mcharles

In theory yes it should as long as the target is the HD from the Hack that your install the files too.

Do you or others have a spare computer or old one not in use that has a SATA drive that you could remove and use for a temp build attempt.

Then install the original drive as a "B" drive and see if you can then repair it - by using the scrap "A" drive for the SL install ( fresh) to boot from

Also do you have any of the original tools you used to make the hack - older version of iBoot Multibeast etc. Also any printed documentation - helpful in cases like this,

Issues about NEWER 1TB and Larger Hard drives in the advanced format which manufactures have switched to - 4k vs 256 sector formatting : this is the Boot0 error or panic that happens as a result of this

THis is why I urge you to locate an older working drive. Under 750 GB

If not make sure that you partition the new 1TB into two 500 GB partitions when U install SL to it.

There are fix's for the Boot0 error in the forums ( actually a Guide)

I am not certain this is the same Boot0 error, since on boot the BIOS sees the HDD as well as the CD/DVD drive. I will continue to read, although I thought I read them already. The lockage occurs after about 17 screens of loading kext without any problem. I still suspect the power drivers have not been loaded.

I like the suggestion of the additional drive. I have a 2.5" 500GB I could use, as ell as all the old versions of MB. It is all in the same directory as the current version with "old" added.

I am not certain this is the same Boot0 error, since on boot the BIOS sees the HDD as well as the CD/DVD drive. I will continue to read, although I thought I read them already. The lockage occurs after about 17 screens of loading kext without any problem. I still suspect the power drivers have not been loaded.

I like the suggestion of the additional drive. I have a 2.5" 500GB I could use, as ell as all the old versions of MB. It is all in the same directory as the current version with "old" added.

mcharles

The Boot0 error occurs during the install ( although it can occur at the start) this is as a result of a lot of files being hashed about during the install. You have to remember that an OS is not just installed its Built on the hardware. Think of it as a Smorgasbord of flavors.

Again you can use the acpi=off command at the start of the install ( and on the boot up as well to cancel this ).

Macman has presented us w a post on the old site for some examples of the CHimera boot switches - do note that their are lots of others switches and this is just a sample.
http://legacy.tonymacx86.com/wiki/index.php/Chimera
You may want to google them.

As to the 2.5 drive you may need to get an adapter to cable this up to the sata and power cables. But it would work.
So you have an old Mother board - start w that and see how far you get - only loss is the time you invest.

I can't begin to tell you how grateful I am for your help.

I put in the 2.5 drive (the PSU had perfectly good connector cables) and using my old IBoot disk, everything installed on the 2.5 drive perfectly. I did not get a chance this morning to check the audio, but graphics were fine. I am about ready to take on running the MB reinstall on the old 3.5 drive.

Particularly since you talked about efficiency and energy savings, does it make sense to use a 2.5 drive as the boot drive and a 3.5 HDD as the main data and app drive? My general use of the computer is as a DVR (Eye TV, Hauppage) and photo editing (not as frequentl) for Photoshop CS3.

I have typically slavishly followed updates and I am beginning to wonder whether the updates are worth the trouble, particularly the 10.6.8. Do the updates really add value or safety?

Turning to the 10.6.8 update, does the update force 4k sector writing?

Thanks again for your advice.

I can't begin to tell you how grateful I am for your help.

I put in the 2.5 drive (the PSU had perfectly good connector cables) and using my old IBoot disk, everything installed on the 2.5 drive perfectly. I did not get a chance this morning to check the audio, but graphics were fine. I am about ready to take on running the MB reinstall on the old 3.5 drive.

Particularly since you talked about efficiency and energy savings, does it make sense to use a 2.5 drive as the boot drive and a 3.5 HDD as the main data and app drive? My general use of the computer is as a DVR (Eye TV, Hauppage) and photo editing (not as frequentl) for Photoshop CS3.

I have typically slavishly followed updates and I am beginning to wonder whether the updates are worth the trouble, particularly the 10.6.8. Do the updates really add value or safety?

Thanks again for your advice.

mcharles

Glad your 2.5 worked for you.

You stated this -

Updates are somewhat needed - especially if the application software requires a specific Point release like 10.6.8 - but most older OSX Software works since 10.6.4 - the only update that I have ever had issues w was / is the 10.6.8 - my preferences is the 10.6.7 combo update. And yes they do have security fix's in them - not sure - if all of these updates needs to be done - My theory is that after the initial release a point release is needed but which one to use is the key - in the hack world. Not so much for macs.
One of the issues w Combo Update 10.6.8 is that Apple had released multiple versions and the recommended version is the 10.6.8 ver 1.1

You asked -
no - no update from Apple will do 4k sectoring ( As it applies to Snow Leopard) this is a choice that was done by Drive manufacturers for other OS's like Windows and Linux.
Now as OSX 10.8.4 has added capacity for Hard Drives larger that 3 GB this changes the subject and Apple may have support for both sectoring format types. Not sure as I have not investigated this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back