Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Can't boot newly installed Catalina (ASUS N552VW-FI202T)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS N552VW-FI202T (Clover)
CPU
i7-6700HQ/HM170
Graphics
HD 530 + Georce GTX 960M, 3840x2160
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi everyone!

Some months ago I managed to boot macOS High Sierra and create a configuration for my laptop in which (almost) everything works, so now I'm trying to use that same build, with some little modifications, to install something a little bit newer.

The problem is that, whenever I try to upgrade High Sierra to the latest build, or even fresh install Mojave/Catalina, the outcome is always the same: at the end of the installation/upgrade progress, my laptop gets stuck at first boot, near "Waiting for DSMOS" (screen below) and stays there until I reboot.

Today, Catalina (10.15.4) even started once after the installation, but after the first reboot I was unable to reach the desktop again.

I tried using FakeSMC instead of VirtualSMC, which is suggested when dealing with DSMOS, but it doesn't change anything for me.

My BIOS settings:

Intel Virtualization Technology -> Disabled
Intel AES-NI -> Disabled
VT-d -> Disabled
DVMT Pre-Allocated -> 64M (can put from 32 to 512)
SATA Mode -> AHCI
Legacy USB Support -> Enabled
Fast Boot -> Disabled
Launch CSM -> Disabled

Below is also my EFI folder and a "Problem Reporting" zip file generated with gen_debug.sh, but on High Sierra (since nothing else boots consistently).

If anyone knows how to help me, I'll be happy to offer you a beer: a virtual one, since I'm quarantined ;)

Have a nice day, in the meanwhile!

Attachments

• photo_2020-04-04_18-03-03.jpg
    photo_2020-04-04_18-03-03.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 92
  • CLOVER.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 40
  • debug_30686.zip
    3.2 MB · Views: 28
Hi everyone!

Some months ago I managed to boot macOS High Sierra and create a configuration for my laptop in which (almost) everything works, so now I'm trying to use that same build, with some little modifications, to install something a little bit newer.

The problem is that, whenever I try to upgrade High Sierra to the latest build, or even fresh install Mojave/Catalina, the outcome is always the same: at the end of the installation/upgrade progress, my laptop gets stuck at first boot, near "Waiting for DSMOS" (screen below) and stays there until I reboot.

Today, Catalina (10.15.4) even started once after the installation, but after the first reboot I was unable to reach the desktop again.

I tried using FakeSMC instead of VirtualSMC, which is suggested when dealing with DSMOS, but it doesn't change anything for me.

My BIOS settings:

Intel Virtualization Technology -> Disabled
Intel AES-NI -> Disabled
VT-d -> Disabled
DVMT Pre-Allocated -> 64M (can put from 32 to 512)
SATA Mode -> AHCI
Legacy USB Support -> Enabled
Fast Boot -> Disabled
Launch CSM -> Disabled

Below is also my EFI folder and a "Problem Reporting" zip file generated with gen_debug.sh, but on High Sierra (since nothing else boots consistently).

If anyone knows how to help me, I'll be happy to offer you a beer: a virtual one, since I'm quarantined ;)

Have a nice day, in the meanwhile!
try a fresh config,.plist form the laptop guide:

Thanks for the rapid answer!

Unfortunately, the fresh config.plist from RehabMan's repo (I picked "config_HD515_520_530_540.plist") gets stuck way before the other I was using (photo below).

How should I proceed?

Attachments

• photo_2020-04-04_18-57-28.jpg
    photo_2020-04-04_18-57-28.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 48
Thanks for the rapid answer!

Unfortunately, the fresh config.plist from RehabMan's repo (I picked "config_HD515_520_530_540.plist") gets stuck way before the other I was using (photo below).

How should I proceed?
if you have made changes then zip and upload your new clover folder

Here it goes!

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 68
Added it, now it gets stuck again at "Waiting for DSMOS" and can't proceed even if I wait :(

Attachments

• photo_2020-04-04_19-22-52.jpg
    photo_2020-04-04_19-22-52.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 43
  • CLOVER.zip
    3.2 MB · Views: 55
Added it, now it gets stuck again at "Waiting for DSMOS" and can't proceed even if I wait :(
seems strange

remove:
AHCIPortInjector.kext
AppleBacklightFixup.kext

also, (i could be wrong) didn't think you need both VoodooI2CELAN.kext and VoodooI2CHID.kext

also, what patched have you done in your DSDT.aml?

you could also remove:
ACPIBatteryManager.kext
and add SMCBatteryManager.kext from VirtualSMC.kext
(also using this method, sometimes DSDT patching for battery status is not required

Removing kexts and adding SMCBatteryManager.kext still boots up to the same point as before.

Regarding the VoodooI2C matter, I read everywhere that you only need the base kext and one "satellite", so my configuration with both VoodooI2CELAN.kext and VoodooI2CHID.kext should be wrong, yet this is the only way to make the trackpad work for me.

Last, inside DSDT.aml I applied the following patches:

RehabMan Laptop -> ASUS N55SL/VivoBook (for the correct battery percentage)
VoodooI2C-Patches -> Windows 10 Patch
Followed this GPIO pinning guide (to get touchpad working properly)
ASUS Laptop (ASUSSMC Patches) -> Fake ALS (to fake ambient light sensor since I don't have it)
ASUS Laptop (ASUSSMC Patches) -> Haswell/Broadwell/Skylake (for keyboard backlight)
ASUS Laptop (ASUSSMC Patches) -> Some Fn keys patches (to make fn keys work if they didn't)

Attachments

• photo_2020-04-04_19-39-49.jpg
    photo_2020-04-04_19-39-49.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 48
  • CLOVER.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 62
Removing kexts and adding SMCBatteryManager.kext still boots up to the same point as before.

Regarding the VoodooI2C matter, I read everywhere that you only need the base kext and one "satellite", so my configuration with both VoodooI2CELAN.kext and VoodooI2CHID.kext should be wrong, yet this is the only way to make the trackpad work for me.

Last, inside DSDT.aml I applied the following patches:

RehabMan Laptop -> ASUS N55SL/VivoBook (for the correct battery percentage)
VoodooI2C-Patches -> Windows 10 Patch
Followed this GPIO pinning guide (to get touchpad working properly)
ASUS Laptop (ASUSSMC Patches) -> Fake ALS (to fake ambient light sensor since I don't have it)
ASUS Laptop (ASUSSMC Patches) -> Haswell/Broadwell/Skylake (for keyboard backlight)
ASUS Laptop (ASUSSMC Patches) -> Some Fn keys patches (to make fn keys work if they didn't)
just to test, try this one

Attachments

• SSDT-EC.aml
    278 bytes · Views: 65
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back