AMD Radeon HD 6870 1024 MB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys,

I have been researching but can't find a solution to this problem.

My build: Intel Core i7-2600K / GA Z68XP-UD3 / Radeon HD6870 - 1024 Mo / OCZ Agility 3 180GB SSD

It was VERY difficult to install Mountain Lion (Lion worked perfectly): Had to disconnect my HD6870 video card and use GraphicsEnabler=No to be able to install it.
Installation went smoothly but it never ever booted into mountain Lion.

=> I get to chimera screen
=> Select the new Mountain Lion install
=> It hang ALWAYS hangs at the Grey Apple logo screen with the wheel spinning.
=>It spins forever, no result.

I have tried GraphicsEnabler=No, with both Video card or without, etc etc...

Any advices??

Thanks!!

Impossible to take a picture! When launching in verbose mode, it goes straight to the grey screen with the Apple logo and the spinning wheel. No one single word....

I downloaded Chameleon Wizard but I don't know how to change whatsoever on my ML drive! I'm messing with this but with no succes!

I'm having a similar occasional issue. I'll get the grey screen with either a normal mouse cursor or a spinning wheel that won't go away. Verbose mode hasn't done me any good—the verbose log goes away when the Desktop starts to load, and that's when I see the issue. The system doesn't get a chance to tell me what it's doing.

Have you guys reinstalled the Ati6xxx kext after boot?
The issue you have is graphics related, I had the same issue and I was able to do a remote desktop connection from my laptop and add the appropriate AtiPorts and AtiConfig in org.chameleon.boot.plist.
The other solution is to spare 20-30 gigs from your hard drive to install Lion and troubleshoot from there your boot.plist and kext issues in Mountain Lion

The issue you have is graphics related, I had the same issue and I was able to do a remote desktop connection from my laptop and add the appropriate AtiPorts and AtiConfig in org.chameleon.boot.plist.
The other solution is to spare 20-30 gigs from your hard drive to install Lion and troubleshoot from there your boot.plist and kext issues in Mountain Lion

I never had a problem with the 6870 after installation, so I never added that .kext file. Also, I don't think I had this problem until 10.8.1.

I never deleted that Kext before installing ML with unibeast. However, I did install ML in a new partition and can still access my Lion drive.

What can I try to do with the kexts in ML to allow it to launch?

Later when I get home, I will log into Lion and erase the Kext, maybe I will be able to launch Mountain Lion to complete multibeast and restore the kext....
Where can I find this kext (I read you can find it in the unibeast key but not where in the installation drive)?

I never deleted that Kext before installing ML with unibeast. However, I did install ML in a new partition and can still access my Lion drive.

What can I try to do with the kexts in ML to allow it to launch?

Later when I get home, I will log into Lion and erase the Kext, maybe I will be able to launch Mountain Lion to complete multibeast and restore the kext....
Where can I find this kext (I read you can find it in the unibeast key but not where in the installation drive)?

The kext is in the System/Library/Extensions folder of your Unibeast drive, but you need to get hidden files shown in Finder to get to it. I discovered last night that I do, in fact, have the ATI6000controller.kext installed, so I don't think that's the issue. Unless there's an older version that works better and I'm just confused... which I don't believe is the case.

SOrry to bother, but what is the "appropriate AtiPorts and AtiConfig" settings?

Good question there!

I just deleted the ATI6000Controller.kext from my Mountain Lion drive (I kept my "normal"" lion drive) and still cannot make it boot, always same grey screen with the wheel turning forever...

Any other advises??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back