Contribute
Register

Can't boot High Sierra when using Intel RST

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think I altered that. It was installed with =Yes default. I changed it to detect. Now I can't boot in AHCI mode either. The kext is installed in S/L/E.

Perhaps you neglected to install the other kexts you need to the system volume.
Why did you delete the kexts from EFI/Clover/kexts?
You will need the essential kexts in EFI/Clover/kexts to boot the installer and recovery partition.
More information in post #2 of my guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

Perhaps you neglected to install the other kexts you need to the system volume.
Why did you delete the kexts from EFI/Clover/kexts?
You will need the essential kexts in EFI/Clover/kexts to boot the installer and recovery partition.
More information in post #2 of my guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

I didn't delete any kexts from EFI/Clover/kexts, folder was empty. Maybe multibeast is installing the kexts in L/E? This is what L/E looks like: https://i.imgur.com/x3CUBg9.png

I didn't delete any kexts from EFI/Clover/kexts, folder was empty. Maybe multibeast is installing the kexts in L/E? This is what L/E looks like: https://i.imgur.com/x3CUBg9.png

The previous files you attached had SATA-RAID-unsupported.kext in Clover/kexts/Other.
In addition to being installed to /L/E, it must also remain there (you will need it during updates [booting the installer] and when booting the recovery partition).
Other "essential" kexts must also be there (FakeSMC.kext, Ethernet kext, etc).
You should read at the post #2 I mentioned so you have a clear understanding of kext management.
Multibeast does not manage your essential kexts in EFI/Clover/kexts. That is your job.

Also, there are huge number of changes in your config.plist from the last set of files you provided.
So, it is likely that the change from InjectKexts=Yes to Detect is not the change that is causing your current problem.
You can look at the differences in the files and see for yourself.

Also, there are huge number of changes in your config.plist from the last set of files you provided.
So, it is likely that the change from InjectKexts=Yes to Detect is not the change that is causing your current problem.
You can look at the differences in the files and see for yourself.

I did a lot of changes in between those files in hopes for a fix.

Anyway, I did a clean install (again, like 20th time). I copied what I think as essential kexts from /L/E to EFI/Clover/kexts as your advice, including the SATA-RAID-unsupported.kext. I updated the config.plist InjectKexts=Yes to Detect as well. But still not booting.

Attached new files incase you ask for them. All the files that are generated in OS X were generated when I switched from Intel RST to AHCI. Boot photo was from Intel RST boot attempt.

Attachments

• Problem Reporting 3.zip
    5.1 MB · Views: 80
It is indeed installed on a SATA SSD.

I tried putting the kext into L/E or S/L/E, still nothing changed. I can't boot into High Sierra.

I still have my old SSD with Sierra on it, which is booting fine. So I don't think it's a BIOS setting issue.
do you mean you install That SAM 960 on SATA slot? if thats the case osx still can't detect your SAM 960 SSD coz its NVME.

do you mean you install That SAM 960 on SATA slot? if thats the case osx still can't detect your SAM 960 SSD coz its NVME.
No. I’m not trying to get OS X to mount or detect the NVME. I just want to boot into OS X which is installed on a regular Samsung 850 EVO SATA SSD while Intel RST mode is selected in BIOS.

I did a lot of changes in between those files in hopes for a fix.

Anyway, I did a clean install (again, like 20th time). I copied what I think as essential kexts from /L/E to EFI/Clover/kexts as your advice, including the SATA-RAID-unsupported.kext. I updated the config.plist InjectKexts=Yes to Detect as well. But still not booting.

Attached new files incase you ask for them. All the files that are generated in OS X were generated when I switched from Intel RST to AHCI. Boot photo was from Intel RST boot attempt.

You still have InjectKexts=Yes.
Should be Detect.
Also, you should remove the NVMe devices during testing (because maybe they cause a problem with the standard AHCI driver).

You still have InjectKexts=Yes.
Should be Detect.
We're talking about CLOVER/config.plist right? I just downloaded the zip I uploaded last and check, it says Detect. Is there another InjectKexts key somewhere else I'm not aware of?

Also, you should remove the NVMe devices during testing (because maybe they cause a problem with the standard AHCI driver).
Sierra is working without a single problem, shouldn't that mean NVMe devices are fine? Also, I would just use AHCI anyway if I didn't need to use the NVMe devices.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 17.22.54.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 17.22.54.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 96
We're talking about CLOVER/config.plist right? I just downloaded the zip I uploaded last and check, it says Detect. Is there another InjectKexts key somewhere else I'm not aware of?

My bad, must have been looking at the wrong plist or looked at it incorrectly.

Sierra is working without a single problem, shouldn't that mean NVMe devices are fine? Also, I would just use AHCI anyway if I didn't need to use the NVMe devices.

NVMe as NVMe (eg. SATA mode AHCI) is way different from NVMe as RST (SATA mode RAID).
Having NVMe devices with SATA mode RAID, means the NVMe devices disappear (as standalone NVMe on PCIe) and instead are connected to the chipset SATA controller instead.
It likely causes a problem for macOS ACHI port kext.

NVMe as NVMe (eg. SATA mode AHCI) is way different from NVMe as RST (SATA mode RAID).
Having NVMe devices with SATA mode RAID, means the NVMe devices disappear (as standalone NVMe on PCIe) and instead are connected to the chipset SATA controller instead.
It likely causes a problem for macOS ACHI port kext.

Do you think replacing High Sierra's AppleAHCIPort.kext with Sierra's AppleAHCIPort.kext would work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back