Contribute
Register

Can't Boot from SSD & Can't Boot from UniBeast USB After Initial Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
It still will only run with the USB in. I've moved the SSD to the number 1 SATA slot (1-6 are the options) when I opened up the case and disconnected all nonessential disks including the HDD and CD Drive. I tried installing the Chimera standalone one by itself and booting, didn't work. Tried doing standalone and then updating with the one in Multibeast, didn't work. Then it didn't work with just the one from Multibeast as well.

Currently reinstalling Mountain Lion with all other disks disconnected other than the SSD. Doubt this will make any difference though, any other ideas?

To show you that it was the only option for BIOS:
View attachment 68455

It could be that the Chimera installer is not really installing boot0[md]. It will not overwrite a boot record that is not inactive or Windows. You can use Chameleon Wizard to install boot0[md] -- it is a bit more forceful. Wiping out everything and starting fresh should wipe any existing boot record from the disk...

Thanks again for the advice so far, I REALLY need a fix for this so I can get back to work in my normal environment. Do you think I should try Mavericks if we can't get this to work? In threads I've read it seems it's easier to get Mavericks up and running than Mountain Lion. I have it on my Macbook here and it runs fine on the latest DP. I've downloaded the French guy Chris' installer in case I was to try that along with Mavericks.

Please read the rules: http://www.tonymacx86.com/faq.php

The only people with legitimate access Mavericks are registered/paid developers. And the builds are under NDA and discussing installation of them here is forbidden by site rules.

On the chance that this just won't work with my computer, would it be ok to permanently leave the USB with the bootloader plugged in the back of the computer and run every day? Everything else is installing fine on the SSD in terms of the data it's just not booting on it's own without the USB. Of course I'd rather not resort to that but just if we can't fix it.

Depends on what is on the USB. Most people don't do that because of the very generic nature of the USB... (disabling power management, for example) such that certain features don't work (sleep, etc.)

It could be that the Chimera installer is not really installing boot0[md]. It will not overwrite a boot record that is not inactive or Windows. You can use Chameleon Wizard to install boot0[md] -- it is a bit more forceful. Wiping out everything and starting fresh should wipe any existing boot record from the disk...

Please read the rules: http://www.tonymacx86.com/faq.php

The only people with legitimate access Mavericks are registered/paid developers. And the builds are under NDA and discussing installation of them here is forbidden by site rules.

Depends on what is on the USB. Most people don't do that because of the very generic nature of the USB... (disabling power management, for example) such that certain features don't work (sleep, etc.)

Sorry about that, missed the installation portion of the rule.

Reinstalling it did not help and it still won't boot on it's own. Is there any other way to put boot0[md] on the SSD without Chameleon Wizard? I don't have any internet connection on the computer so I can't use the Wizard. I tried searching for an offline method and didn't find one.

Sorry about that, missed the installation portion of the rule.

Reinstalling it did not help and it still won't boot on it's own.

"still won't boot on it's own" is not descriptive enough. Do you see the Chimera screen?

Is there any other way to put boot0[md] on the SSD without Chameleon Wizard? I don't have any internet connection on the computer so I can't use the Wizard. I tried searching for an offline method and didn't find one.

You can do so manually in Terminal. For example:
Code:
sudo /usr/sbin/fdisk440 -f /usr/standalone/i386/boot0md -u -y /dev/rdisk0

"still won't boot on it's own" is not descriptive enough. Do you see the Chimera screen?

You can do so manually in Terminal. For example:
Code:
sudo /usr/sbin/fdisk440 -f /usr/standalone/i386/boot0md -u -y /dev/rdisk0
Sorry, still can't boot to the Chimera screen. That's been the issue all along. Still goes straight to BIOS and can't get anywhere else without the USB.

As the SSD is disk 0 for me should I just use that command as you posted it?

Still not booting to Chimera after installing boot0md via Terminal. Do sudo commands tell you if they're successful or the change that was made afterwards or does it just notify of failed attempts? Because after I entered my password and hit enter it just brought up a new command line for me to put in a new command.

Any other options?

Still not booting to Chimera after installing boot0md via Terminal. Do sudo commands tell you if they're successful or the change that was made afterwards or does it just notify of failed attempts? Because after I entered my password and hit enter it just brought up a new command line for me to put in a new command.

Any other options?

No output usually means success with Unix shell...

You should probably install boot1h manually as well. For example (assuming first partition is your OS X partition on disk0):

sudo dd if=/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/disk0s2

Then double check that you have /boot on /dev/disl0s2. And double-check BIOS options related to booting (secure boot disabled, UEFI disabled [usually] or hybrid, legacy enabled, etc.)

If that still fails, then it is something your BIOS is doing weird:

- some BIOS implementations will not boot legacy to a GPT style disk (my BIOS will not boot to a GPT disk or hybrid disk if UEFI is disabled)
- or your partition is not marked 'boot'
- or you have a hybrid GPT/MBR (would be the case if you have mixed Windows partitions & HFS+J)
--- then maybe the MBR side has no active partition
--- or your BIOS doesn't like to boot legacy to a hybrid disk

And, of course, you could always check for BIOS updates that might help...

No output usually means success with Unix shell...

You should probably install boot1h manually as well. For example (assuming first partition is your OS X partition on disk0):

sudo dd if=/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/disk0s2

Then double check that you have /boot on /dev/disl0s2. And double-check BIOS options related to booting (secure boot disabled, UEFI disabled [usually] or hybrid, legacy enabled, etc.)

If that still fails, then it is something your BIOS is doing weird:

- some BIOS implementations will not boot legacy to a GPT style disk (my BIOS will not boot to a GPT disk or hybrid disk if UEFI is disabled)
- or your partition is not marked 'boot'
- or you have a hybrid GPT/MBR (would be the case if you have mixed Windows partitions & HFS+J)
--- then maybe the MBR side has no active partition
--- or your BIOS doesn't like to boot legacy to a hybrid disk

And, of course, you could always check for BIOS updates that might help...

My BIOS doesn't seem to have a "Disable" option for Secure Boot it just gives me the option of Microsoft UEFI Mode or Other OS. I switched that to Other OS and switched Boot Device Control from UEFI and Legacy OPROM to Legacy OPROM Only and it didn't help. The SSD has only one partition and thats a GUID partition.
BIOS is up to date.

Should I try and format it as a MBR instead of GUID?

EDIT: Reset all keys in key management setting and then switched back to Other OS as it disabled it with the clear key button. Still boots straight to BIOS however so I'm stuck.

I have the very same issue here (+ no ethernet via RealtekRTL8111). It looks like a bug in the bios. changed all settings in security, CSM, Secure Boot.. nothing Helped..
It looks like this bios doesnt let us disable the Secure boot even when I delete the KEK db, DBX, etc..

Thanks for the response.

i posted an update in here with the current settings I used to get it running with the USB drive still in. However now the issue is I can't boot to Chimera without the Unibeast USB being inserted. It goes straight to BIOS instead. Then when I go to boot menu and click the HDD it starts as if it's going to go to Chimera then returns to BIOS as if there's nothing to boot from even though it's already installed. I've done this with both my SSD and HDD now and neither works. Everything functions perfectly when I boot with the USB in.

i hate to be a bother but I can't find anyone else with this problem most everyone has a problem with booting after the Chimera screen.

SAME PROBLEM ON Z87i pro Haswell i5 and mavericks !!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back