Contribute
Register

Can't boot after BIOS update (10.9.4 w/Gigabyte H87-HD3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,

Recently updated to 10.9.4, all been going very well. Have been experiencing some random hanging on occassion though. Attempted to resolve by a number of approaches, one of which was updating my BIOS to F8 (from F3). Now when booting it just hangs. I can boot in safe mode. Re-running Multibeast with my previously working config has no effect.

Booting with -v points to:

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily(1.4)

This thread http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion-desktop-support/72956-10-8-2-problem-14.html covers the same issue, albeit on 10.8. Is there an updated kext I need or is removing OEMsmbios.kext going to be the way to go? Or any other suggestions?

System is as follows:

Intel Core i5 4430 3Ghz
Gigabyte H87-HD3
16GB RAM (4 x 4GB @ 1333mhz) (I've heard about issues with Gigabyte mobos and 4 populated DIMM sockets...)
GTX 760
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB
WD Blue 1TB

Hmmn, so seemingly I can't downgrade back to my previous BIOS version (F3)

Tried using QFlash and a bootable DOS USB with efiflash to no avail!...

Any other suggestions out there at all??

Next attempt is to use FPT to re-flash the previous BIOS now...

So, all sorted now...

In case this is of some help to someone else in the future, I ended up doing the following:

DOS bootable USB (with Win98 system files)
fpt -f h87hd3.f3 -bios

This re-flashed the BIOS from the non-working F8 back to my previous F3 version.
(Normal warnings around BIOS flashing apply)

Now all up and running again. Out of interest, I'm assuming the reason the newer BIOS version broke things was presumably due to a kext needing to be updated? I don't know for definite but believe the problem was the CPU not being recognised but can't be sure. Would be great if anyone knows?...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back