CPU
X5650
Graphics
HD 7970
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Among the issues I am trying to sort out, my machine cannot restart or shut down. It goes to a white screen on all my monitors and stays there. The only thing that is in console is that one of my disks is locked and the -f flags cannot be applied, sometimes it reads holding boot, other times nothing. Console logs do not give any other details, I have repaired permissions, etc. I may have to do a clean install, but that is a much longer process. This is the first update that I have used that is giving me this many problems.

I have the same problem but i've had it even with osx ML ...
my problem is only with shutdown, screen goes off and the system stop but the psu and cpu fan are still spinning :|

Restart works good.

So reading other user build I've learned that maybe the solution is to use the aicpm kext of 10.6.8 ...i will try it

On the same boat after upgrading from ML to Mavericks 4days ago.
Shutdown and restart turns off the 2 monitors but the computer keeps running unless I turn it off manually from the power button!

Can't find a solution and It's very frustrating. I can't do a fresh install as I have tons of programs and settings. Never had a similar issue neither in Lion nor in ML. Apart of this issue, Mavericks is working perfectly including sound, Ethernet, Wifi, Bluetooth, screen saver, Graphics, well everything.

I upgraded the BIOS from F8 to F10 and tried to disable PLL overvoltage. I don't have "Wake on LAN". I deleted Ev0reboot then reinstalled it with Kext wizard, deleted cache, rebuilt cache and repaired permissions.

Nothing is working and I am so desperate. If anybody has a sol. or a clue how to solve this, please help.

On older systems this was graphics issue. I was experiencing this now, on maverick, but only after I launched the Maps application. The Maps are launching the intel graphics kexts, I just deleted them all, and now everything is working fine. Maybe you guys have this issue but somehow the complete OS is halting because of it. I think it worths a try. Let me know if it helps. FYI: intel kexts are found under System/Library/Extensions

Thanks giannifromq for the suggestion. I'm struggling for 4days to solve it. The update 10.8.5 to 10.9 went smooth and I only needed to reinstall the audio driver. The system is stable but it just doesn't shutdown or restart unless I use the power button! Multibeast is also giving me "Installation failed" on 90% of the drivers which forces me to install them manually using Kext Wizard. Well this is a 2nd priority as the main is to solve the Shutdown problem.

I agree with you that it might be a Kext issue but in my case I have a feeling that it's the USB WiFi (Realtek chipset) not the graphics. I recently use the built-in Gigabit Ethernet which works OOB connecting to the Airport Extrme, but I keep the old USB WiFi to connect to another Buffalo router with open firmware used to provide WiFi VPN access for my devices including a 3rd gen. Apple TV.

I will play with the USB WiFi dongle and report back. God, hope it"ll work! :(

I have been testing. I managed to edit APGM kext and my card is recognized at startup, GUI seems snappy like before. Still trying to figure out the restart/shut down as 8 times out of 10 it will restart/shutdown fine, as opposed to white screen every restart/shutdown try. Will try the intel kext as above, also have been turning off start up programs. Still no firm answer. Seems like some program or process is refusing to quit and is holding restarts/shutdowns? Nothing in Console logs indicates any clue.

Have reformatted the hard drive that was giving me error messages, so far shut down and restart fine.

Any update on this issue?

I'm having the exact same issue with shutdown/reset (which is fine previously in ML). I'm also using DWA-125 WiFi from Dlink with ralink driver, so anybody tested that this is the cause of the issue?

I have the exact same issue! I can restart/shutdown with no problem in ML. In Mavericks the monitor and sound card shut down but the whole system is still on. EvoReboot has no effect on it too. One thing I find online is that people with real mac are talking about their external disk unable to turn off. Mine hard drive is indeed showing as external disk in Mavericks. I am suspecting that could be the reason. I am using MBR on my disk too.

I can confirm that after deleting the WiFi USB driver "RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext" the system was once again able to shutdown and restart, but I had another slowness issue (white screen) before shutdown which I couldn't solve, although I tried everything from reading logs to deleting kexts. The worst was Multibeast throwing "unsuccessful installation" error with every Kext. (Also tried everything from deleting kexts, rebuilding cache, repairing permissions, etc but nothing worked).

Then I gave up and reinstalled Mavericks from scratch losing all my apps and settings. Everything is solved now and working properly. Still a bit slow before shutdown/ restart, but it does shutdown, restart, sleep, and everything is working just great and I use gigabit Ethernet to Apple's AirPort Extreme.
More than 2 weeks now and haven't had the time to reinstall my arsenal of apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back