GT 210N
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. Classic
  3. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

I have a Dell Studio XPS 435MT with a MSI N210 (GeForce 210) and a Core i7 of first generation which works perfectly with Lion (without DSDT unfortunately). I tried to install Mountain Lion and it is impossible ! Here is the problem :

- When I try to boot my UniBeast key without options, I have the boot screen with the apple and at the end at the boot sequence... no signal.
- When I try to boot with "PCIRootUID=0" (which was unnecessary with Lion), I have a video signal but IOATAFamily.kext doesn't mount my drives.

I don't understand why I need the "PCIRootUID=0" flag with ML ? Why IOATAFamily.kext doesn't work ? Is there something I can do ?

Thanks,

Benjamin

I'm not having any luck either trying to install Mountain Lion on my 435MT. The first time I booted, I got the TonyMac Apple, but no drives, and the next time I booted, all it said was that it couldn't find mach_kernel.

Just put ioatafamily in the extra/extensions on USB stick (use forklift to navigate hidden folders)!
If u happen to run into the yellow triangle error (OS X cannot start up from this disk), just go into disk utilities and shrink the target drive with ~1gb. after install u can resize it back.

Had the exact same problem with my 435mt.

As above, you need the ioata kexts & you must set the hard drive to IDE mode in the bios.

I found the best solution was to install to a usb hard drive (it would detect these) & then you can play around with dumping the kexts in until it finds the hdd. Once it does, just use Carbon copy cloner to clone the udb drive to an internal hdd (or put the usb disk inside).

Alternatively buy a pci disk controller based on ASM1061 chip for £20 on ebay as these get picked up by mlion straight away.

Ok guys, don't worry, I have the solution and ML perfectly working (without sound for the moment unfortunately, but I'm working on it).

Hard drives
-------------

The solution is to put IOATAFamily.kext to the /S/L/E of the USB key PLUS AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext, AHCI_3rdParty_eSATA.kext and JMicron36xATA.kext (those kexts was extracted from the last MultiBeast). With this solution, all my drives are recognized !

Graphics Card
---------------

The solution for my N210 was to use the "Graphics Mode=1680x1050x32 GraphicsEnabler=Yes" kernel flags. Of course, you have to adapt the first flag for your resolution. If Chimera doesn't want to boot with those flags, try a first boot with the "PCIRootUID=0" flag alone, then reboot when the installer is loaded and the first flags should work. That's strange, but it works !

I hope that it will be helpful.

EDIT: Bonus, an archive with the 4 kexts for the USB key.

Attachments

• 435mt_unibeast.zip
    391.7 KB · Views: 332
Ok guys, don't worry, I have the solution and ML perfectly working (without sound for the moment unfortunately, but I'm working on it).

Hard drives
-------------

The solution is to put IOATAFamily.kext to the /S/L/E of the USB key PLUS AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext, AHCI_3rdParty_eSATA.kext and JMicron36xATA.kext (those kexts was extracted from the last MultiBeast). With this solution, all my drives are recognized !

Graphics Card
---------------

The solution for my N210 was to use the "Graphics Mode=1680x1050x32 GraphicsEnabler=Yes" kernel flags. Of course, you have to adapt the first flag for your resolution. If Chimera doesn't want to boot with those flags, try a first boot with the "PCIRootUID=0" flag alone, then reboot when the installer is loaded and the first flags should work. That's strange, but it works !

I hope that it will be helpful.

EDIT: Bonus, an archive with the 4 kexts for the USB key.

Nice one, cheers!

I found the audio worked with voodoohda but would frequently cause kernel panics on bootup. Easiest solution was to buy a £2 usb audio device off ebay!

Nice! This enabled me to see my drive and install 10.8 on my 435MT. However, I do get a message at the end that Install Failed... Not sure if this is real or not, because I can still boot into the System using the USB stick, BUT MultiBeast also complains that Install Failed. As a result, I can't get a boot loader installed to the hard drive. Also my ATI HD 4850 (came with the original system) doesn't seem to work... I inject the kexts for ATI 4800 support and ATY_init, but all I get is a gray screen. I have managed to get the 4850 working in the past. Unless someone has a good idea I might wait until the Mountain Lion version of MultiBeast is released.

If you get a grey screen it's because it thinks there is a second phantom monitor. Move your monitor to the other dvi port on the 4850, then disable mirroring & it should work in full resolution.

If you look in displays it thinks there is an 800*600 monitor on the second port ??

Only way I got rid of this was to change the machine type to mac pro via multibeast was set to imac originally.

Thanks... I've made a lot of progress on getting 10.8 up and running on my 435MT w/ 512MB ATI HD4850.

First, the gray screen issue was fixed by moving to the DVI port on the right (as looking from the back of the case).

Second, the "Installation Failed" message I was getting from MultiBeast was being caused by IOATAFamily.kext and JMicronAta.kext. This thread explains how to detect and fix it... Basically, when I ran "sudo kextcache -update-volume /" it gave errors on those two kexts so I temporarily moved them out of S/L/E. Then MultiBeast worked.

In MultiBeast I installed the following kexts: ATI 48xx Support (everything), FakeSMC, EvOreboot, and Chimera Bootloader.

I also injected ATY_init.kext (July 2011 version) using Kext Utility. I decided NOT to install VoodooHDA 5.1 and forgo sound since I didn't want to deal with potential kernel panics.

Third,
I needed to do one more thing to get my HD4850 working... I found a QE_CI Exotic patch for Mountain Lion from July 10, 2012 and added the kexts from that package into S/L/E. Upon reboot video worked perfectly.

Now, I'm still having some issues:

1. Wake from sleep doesn't work

2. No sound (see my explanation above)

3. I cannot download or update apps from the AppStore. When I enter my AppleID, I get "An unknown error has occurred". I searched extensively on this issue and the usual culprits (deleting the AppStore cache, deleting /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist) did not fix the problem... I suspect it could be related to my USB Ethernet adapter, which I'm using because the built in LAN port died a few months back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back