Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I bought a 2102 Mac Mini a couple of days ago. I updated it to 10.8.2 via the Mac App Store and everything installed with no problems. I then tried to download the Mountain Lion installer from the Mac App Store to make a USB installer. I immediately got the following error message:

7c05e2f6076d7b2fd446bb1aec6d42d4.jpg

I tried downloading it on my MacBook Pro and it downloaded fine. I copied the file to the Mac Mini and tried installing it just to see what happens and it gave the same message. I then made a USB installer from that file using my MacBook and then tried booting the Mac Mini from the USB. It stopped with a no entry symbol.

I cleared the com.apple.appstore cache, removed and re-added the system drive from spotlight, logged in and out the Mac App Store several times and nothing fixes the problem. Contacting Apple support did not help. They only want to refer me to higher level support.

Some Googling reveals that towards the end of last year, Mac Mini's could not be updated to 10.8.2 because Apple had pulled the special version of the update that's needed for Mac Mini's. However, a few days later they eventually did re-release the update and the problem was supposedly fixed. I confirmed this when I updated to 10.8.2

I'm not sure what else to do besides waiting for 10.8.3 My whole reason for try to have a USB installer is to save time on installing. Using the recovery method and having to wait for the 4.5GB installation file to download is a total waste of time. It works perfectly fine on my MacBook Pro and my 2 hackintoshes that I built using the TonyMac installation method.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it.

The Mac mini is running a special build of OS X that is different than what is in the App Store.

This limitation should be removed when 10.8.3 is released as it will support all currently shipping hardware.

Thanks. Had a feeling it would be fixed with 10.8.3

Same here, I made the installer with my Macbook instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back