Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I have 3 drives in my Hack

120 GB SSD with Windows 7 Ultimate
300 GB HDD with OSX 10.8.3
500 GB HDD with Ubuntu 13.04

I originally wanted to format the 500 GB drive 100 GB for Ubuntu and 400 FAT so I could share that drive between OSX and WIN7, but installing Ubuntu some how erased the partitions I had set up under disk utility. This I do not care about ATM, as I am sure I can resize the Ubuntu partition once I have a successful triple boot.

Now the Dual Boot of OSX and WIN7 has been running flawlessly for a few weeks now * besides the normal hicups of a new hack *

I unhooked all of my drives besides the 500GB drive, and ran an Ubuntu Install from CD.

I hooked all of my drives back up and restarted the machine, and it went straight to GRUB then Ubuntu.

I powered down the machine, and restarted using my Ds3h's boot menu *f12* to point the computer to the p0 300 GB HDD which has Chimera on it, and it booted fine just showing Win7 and OSX, not the other drive w/ ubuntu on it.

I know this is a big issue that some have resolved but I have tried to find a guide I can understand to no avail, I did find a good one how ever it seems to be able installing all of the OS's on the same hard drive, which I do not want to do. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I was hoping someone may have a simple solution of how I can get Chimera to see my Ubuntu drive? Thanks in advance

I also cannot set my boot drive to my OSX drive anymore in Bios, it does not show me P0:300gb.... use the UEFI:300gb, which Chimera wont boot from obviously, seriously frustrating.

When you install Ubuntu make sure the Grub boot loader is installed to root ( / ) or make a /boot partition and install it there. If you allow default, it installs to the HDD MBR and Chameleon/Chimera can't see it.
If the version you are installing doesn't allow you to choose, then remove it and re-install it manually using the command line.
See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Installing

Okay I will have to figure out how to do that, but how to I get my working dual boot back? What could it have changed to where now even with the 500gb Linux drive unplugged my computer wont boot as it did before installing this?

Alright I was able to get it done, now all I have all three operating systems showing in the bootloader, and booting perfectly! Awesome, thanks a ton!

How ever, The 500 gb drive I partitioned to 100GB's Linux, 8GB Swap, and the rest was supposed to be Fat, but OSX sees it as free space and wont mount it, and Windows doesn't see it at all. Grrr. How can I reformat this partition without erasing the whole drive?

Just keep updating this thread so hopefully it can help someone else out down the road via search.

I was found to the best of my knowledge and research that OSX does not have the ability to natively reformat free space partitions, how ever windows does. I booted into windows and used the disk management ( right click computer, manage, disk management ) to reformat the free space as exFat. I chose this format so that all three operating systems can access ( read, and write ) this partition incase I need to move files around from OS to OS ( to OS lol )

Thanks for the help dude.

FWIW there are a few good YouTube videos on how to use Windows Disk management software, as well as how to set up partitions for linux. I was unable to find a video for Ubuntu 13.04 but the 12.xx videos applied enough to figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back