Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello!

Long time lurker, small time poster.

TL;DR
I cannot seem to create a bootable Clover USB stick with my Catalina 10.14.7 Disk Utilities.

I'm basically trying to get a latest version of Clover (r5151) onto a stick to boot and test update Big Sur on to a cloned Catalina drive, so as not to pollute my stable Catalina build. I do not want to go the route of OpenCore just yet because although I've briefly tried and appreciate the simplicity, I've also researched bad things of bricked bios' on Z97 motherboards, so for now until a possible future m/b build, want to stick with Clover.

I can Erase and Partition the USB, and even install Clover and get the EFI folder for preperation. I've even managed to duplicate over my stable EFI folder from my local Clover r5119, with the hope of just booting my existing system via the USB. The drive shows in my bios bootable UEFI list, but then on boot - nothing - no Clover 5151, just a reboot, and into my stable Clover r5119.

As I say, I have a Z97-D3H with UEFI boot with a stable Catalina 10.14.7.
I've researched and tried the csrutil disable in recovery mode and I've tried every usb port I have available.
I have tried 3 different usb sticks all with ample storage 8gig+ though I am not trying to add an OS installer, just the Clover r5151.
I have a working Clover-Montery usb stick that boots just fine, so my m/b bios is still setup correctly.

Is it because 5151 is too big of a step up from 5119? Did I miss something in trying to create a UEFI only boot?

I think my next attempts might be to either get Clover 5119 and dupe over from my working system. Or see if I can clone my backup Mojave USB and upgrade the Clover version?

If the bios is recognising a bootable UEFI USB, surely it's just my Clover setup then?

Any other ideas and suggestions greatly received!

Is it because 5151 is too big of a step up from 5119?
In the newer versions of Clover the folder structure has changed, make sure that you have all of your drivers in the new location. /EFI/CLOVER/drivers/UEFI.

There is also the addition of a Quirks section in the config.plist which means that you cannot just take your old config.plist and use it with newer versions of Clover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back