Contribute
Register

Cannot Boot to Newly Created Clover Stick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep you will but if you boot without SMBios in config Clover will determine what it believes is correct and then can rebuild the SMBios based on that model.

I see.

However, when booting Mavericks from the USB stick, it seems to give a different UUID each time. I got about 8 mails from Apple saying "You have signed in from a new computer". I thought the power of Clover is that these things will be static once assigned?

Probably no SMBios settings in the USB config.plist.

Just to keep some traction in this thread and updates for anyone reading if they have the same problem, I wanted to throw out what I tried yesterday.

My biggest issue was the "Do Not Enter" sign. Poking around in a few threads yesterday, I saw someone saying they used "fix ownership" and USB inject in order to get past that. Tried that. No luck.

So then I went poking around in the BIOS. I found that, even though I have ECHI as Enabled, xHCI was set to "Smart Auto". I tried to enable that and Clover booted to a weird "grey screen with blue text" called the boot manager, but would not continue to Clover no matter what option I picked. So I changed xHCI to "Disabled" and, to my surprise, the USB got past where it was before! No "Do Not Enter" sign. Unfortunately, I had to run out at that moment and could not watch the verbose boot all the way through, but I was getting a TON of "errors" like "Could not apply fix, value already set to...". I decided to leave it and hopefully come back to the installer screen, alas, when I came back, the monitors were asleep and I could not get them awoken. So that means one of two things:

1. The installer booted fine and then went to sleep due to inactivity and froze
2. The installer loaded, however, it was not able to initialize the graphics (which my card, the 660Ti, has not needed injection from ML onward).

So I am going to try it tonight and see the results.

Disable BIOS/Integrated Graphics and set config.plist/Graphics/Intel/Inject/NO.

I went to the "Integrated Graphics" portion of the BIOS, but unlike Gigabyte boards, it seems Asus does not give me an option to disable the integrated graphics outright. I was able to change the memory size, enable/disable IGP Multi Monitor and enable/disable Render Standby (disabled both), but I could not find an overarching flag for disabling it.

A random thought popped into my head in the shower -

Since I had no problem booting a full install of Mavericks with Clover, and I have had no problem getting to the installer with Unibeast, could I install Yosemite with Unibeast and then, instead of Chimera, install Clover once I am in?

A random thought popped into my head in the shower -

Since I had no problem booting a full install of Mavericks with Clover, and I have had no problem getting to the installer with Unibeast, could I install Yosemite with Unibeast and then, instead of Chimera, install Clover once I am in?

That's the way I did it . . .
I installed Yosemite with Unibeast and the post kext install with MultiBeast and then put clover on EFI to replace Chimera.

[As and extra experiment] After installing Clover I actually went ahead and reinstalled Yosemite from the Installer Application directly . . . needed to get original AppleHDA back for patching.
Worked a treat.

That's the way I did it . . .
I installed Yosemite with Unibeast and the post kext install with MultiBeast and then put clover on EFI to replace Chimera.

[As and extra experiment] After installing Clover I actually went ahead and reinstalled Yosemite from the Installer Application directly . . . needed to get original AppleHDA back for patching.
Worked a treat.

Thanks for the info.

I may take this route should I not be able to get the Yosemite installer to boot by this weekend. I'm going to give it about a good hour each night, but should I be "Yosemite less" by this Sunday, it's Unibeast then Clover bootloader.

Update: While getting to watch the verbose boot completely, the system boots correctly, but sleeps the monitor on boot up. DSMOS arrives with no problem and the native Nvidia driver loads fine, however, the monitor goes to sleep.

Additional update: Using nv_disable flag, I can boot to the installer.... but I worry about how my card will work in Yosemite. Will it be native as it was in Mavericks?

As I said, with the exact same settings and config plist, it boots fine to a Mavericks install.

Any ideas?

Running this by anyone who is still listening:

Is it possible that apple stripped out the support for my Device ID in my Nvidia card? This seemed to happen to someone else in Yosemite here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-desktop-support/146508-10-10-gt640-troubles-solution.html

But, I know with Clover, you can "spoof" your Device ID to make it load certain drivers. Would that fix this issue?

Or am I better off just installing with nv_disable=1 and hope for the best when I get to Yosemite?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back