EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB SC GAMING ACX 2.0
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
After installing OS X El Capitan back in November, I used the Clover post installation method since at the time v. 8 of Multibeast was not available. Everything seems to run perfectly EXCEPT I can't access the UEFI BIOS setup screen for my Gigabyte Z77 mini-ITX motherboard. Now I get a blue screen with no options and the mouse cursor is frozen in the middle of the display. With Yosemite and Mavericks, I could access all the BIOS setup options. I'd like to be able to access to monitor CPU temperatures and try overclocking.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

My configuration:
Screen Shot 2016-01-01 at 10.54.07 PM.png

Last edited:
I found the solution by clearing the CMOS values and then resetting the BIOS. In hindsight, I'm not certain the problem stemmed from upgrading to El Capitan and Clover. Instead, I think something happened when I removed my CPU fan and broke the thermo-paste seal with the CPU. I ran the computer for a few hours not realizing what I had done: thinking that my Internet was sluggish and wondering why my games were skipping frames. Anyway I think during that few hours when the BIOS somehow got damaged.

Resetting the CMOS was simply a matter of unplugging the computer, opening the panel, and touching the jumper pins with the tip of a flat-bladed screwdriver for a few seconds. Then I booted up again and I saw a new bios screen and my keyboard responded. Then, I updated the Q-Flash to the latest BIOS version 3.0.

So I hope if any of you run across a similar problem, clearing the motherboard's CMOS might do the trick. By the way, locating the jumpers wasn't that easy. I found a helpful photo here on Newegg's site:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...568&cm_re=GA-Z77N-WIFI-_-13-128-568-_-Product

... and also a diagram on this site:
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/437996/Gigabyte-Ga-H77n-Wifi.html?page=28

These two images helped me identify where the clear CMOS jumper could be found.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back