Contribute
Register

Can you output graphics card from motherboard ports?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77n WIFI
CPU
i5 3570k
Graphics
GTX 660
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I wanted to know if it was possible to output the video signal from the graphics card of choice through the video ports (or any ports) on the mother board. I only want to use the graphics card as the designated gpu (and avoid having to enable the integrated gpu at all). To be clear what I had in mind, I wanted to see if it was possible to build something that would output video and handle I/O from peripherals all through a single USB 3.1 / Thunderbolt 3 port.

I'm not listing specific hardware since I'm not sure what motherboards can even support this, if any at all.

Mainboard video ports are driven by the Intel iGPU, not by any discrete GPU.

Only exception are mainboards with "DisplayPort Input", which allow injecting the video signal of a discrete GPU (through an external cable) into the mainboard's Thunderbolt stream.

Only exception are mainboards with "DisplayPort Input", which allow injecting the video signal of a discrete GPU (through an external cable) into the mainboard's Thunderbolt stream.

Is this usually a rare implementation? I can't find much information on motherboards that do this. The only one I've found was an ASRock Thunderbolt mobo. Is this feature enabled by bios tweaks or is this strictly only for boards that support DisplayPort-In?

EDIT: I suppose it's strictly for motherboards that support it, ignore that last question.
EDIT2: Figured it out now, thanks Fl0r!an!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back