Contribute
Register

Can someone check my Bootlog and CLOVER?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS STRIX Z270G GAMING
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
GTX 1070
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi Everyone
I built my Hackintosh (i7-7700K, 16GB, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8191 MB) a couple of years ago thanks to this website. Since then I am using it without any issues. I stayed with Sierra OS. I also have an old MacBook Pro (Early 2015, i5, 8GB RAM) also running Sierra and its booting time is visibly faster than the Hackintosh. The Hackintosh mounts however newer and faster HW! It also has an EVO M.2 SSD which is surely faster than the SSD on the MacBook. I was wondering if someone could check my Bootlog and Clover and see if there are opportunities to optimise the boot time. Just for info: I am a total beginner with regard to Hackintosh. I can use the Clover Config and that's it. Apologies if my system config is a bit old.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Attachments

• bootlog.log.txt
    30.5 KB · Views: 63
  • CLOVER.zip
    5.8 MB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Hi EVeryone
I built my Hackintosh (i7-7700K, 16GB, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8191 MB) a couple of years ago thanks to this website. Since then I am using it without any issues. I stayed with Sierra OS. I also have an old MacBook Pro (Early 2015, i5, 8GB RAM) also running Sierra and its booting time is visibly faster than the Hackintosh. The Hackintosh mounts however newer and faster HW! It also has an EVO M.2 SSD which is surly faster than the I was wondering if someone could check my Bootlog and Clover and see if there are opportunities to optimise the boot time. Just for info: I am a total beginner with regard to Hackintosh. I can use the Clover Config and that's it. Apologies if my system config is a bit old.

Thanks a lot for your help!
The Samsung NVME controllers are not well supported. Apple prefers the Phison controllers. Trim doesn’t seem to work well with Samsung EVO m.2 drives. This is fairly typical for these to have a longer than normal boot time.

The Samsung NVME controllers are not well supported. Apple prefers the Phison controllers. Trim doesn’t seem to work well with Samsung EVO m.2 drives. This is fairly typical for these to have a longer than normal boot time.
thanks for the quick reply. Just for info: the Early 2015 MacBook takes 9 sec from apple logo to login page. The Hackintosh (with the EVO m.2) takes 16 sec. When running a Disk Speed Test on the EVO m.2, it reports around 1500 MB/s R/W. Same test on an older Samsung SSD850 (also installed on the Hack) shows 500 MB/s.

To start your Bootlog.txt looks ok, bar a few minor issues, which are related in part to your config.plist and the location of your third party kexts.

Your /CLOVER/kexts/Other and all the numbered OSX sub-folders are empty, not even containing FakeSMC.kext. So anyone looking at this has no idea which if any kexts you are using. I would recommend you have a read of Jaymonkey's Third-Party Kext guide - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...an-sierra-high-sierra-mojave-catalina.268964/

Specifically the reasoning behind placing any third-party kexts in the /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder and not installing them to /Library/Extensions (/L/E) or the /System/Library/Extensions (/S/L/E) folder.

As your system lacks an SSDT-UIAC.aml or a USBPorts.kext or USBMap.kext in respect of your USB configuration I would recommend you have a read of UtterDisbelief's USB configuration guide - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-new-beginners-guide-to-usb-port-configuration.286553/

These are the things I would recommend you have a look into to see about getting your CLOVER folder and config.plist optimised for your system:
  1. Your config lacks any rename patches, for USB (XHCI), SATA, XOSI etc.
  2. It lacks a number of common/essential ACPI fixes.
  3. You are not using an SSDT for CPU Power Management, you are also lacking the PluginType=true option in your config. Which you would be advised to enable as it will solve any CPU power management issues you are seeing with your system.
  4. You have the nada_drv=1 boot argument present, you also have NvidiaWeb=true enabled. You don't need both for the NVIDIA Web Drivers.
  5. You have a Fake ID for the IntelGFX, for a Skylake IGPU, when you have a Kaby Lake CPU/IGPU.
  6. You have no Device > Properties entered for your Kaby Lake IGPU, you should be using a Headless framebuffer as you have a discrete GPU.
  7. You have a Devices > Add Properties Entry for the IntelGFX, which is of little benefit, if it does anything at all.
  8. You have none of the Device > USB options selected, you should have Inject and FixOwernship enabled.
  9. You have GUI > Scan > Legacy=First, when you are booting a compatible UEFI system, this is not required.
  10. You have these options selected in the Graphics section, Patch VBios=true, Inject NVidia=true, NvidiaSingle=true plist the same Skylake ig-plaform-id as you added in your Devices > Fake ID entry. I fully expect that you have Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext in your /L/E or heaven forbid your /S/L/E folder. That. being the case you don't need any of these Graphics options. But you do need to apply a Headless framebuffer for your Kaby Lake IGPU to work correctly with your discrete Nvidia GPU.
  11. You have a FakeCPUID for a Skylake H series CPU, why!
  12. I would recommend you enable the KernelXCPM option to make the best use of your CPU processing power.
  13. I would question whether you need the IONVMe... KextsToPatch entries. I have been using a couple of Samsung NVMe drives since they were first available, a pair of SM951 250GB drives, they cost a fortune in comparison to the cost of similar and probably better NVMe drives that are available today. I had to use the NVME patches for a couple of OSX releases but after a time, and I think it was with Sierra (could have been High Sierra) I no longer needed them. So the question would be have you tried booting without these patches to see what difference they make?
  14. You don't have an MLB (Board Serial Number) or ROM generated for your system. These are usually essential if you want to use Messages/iMessage and Apples' other cloud services.
  15. You are at least using a SMBIOS for the correct CPU/Intel Chipset. This makes me wonder why you are using such a hotchpotch of settings for your IGPU.
  16. The Serial number passes Apple Supports check, so that is another bonus.
  17. You have Inject Kexts=Yes enabled, when you have no kexts to inject!
  18. You have Inject System ID=true, this is not required, it is a hangover from the Chameleon/Chimera bootloader and is not used.
  19. You have generated a Custom UUID, when you would be better served having the SMBIOS's SmUUID completed.
If you want or need help sorting any of the above out, I am willing to help. You have a lot of reading to do, and a lot of things to think about before you start changing anything. I would advise you to take your time, do some research and then act.

Finally:
  • You have two Atheros WiFi devices in your system, can I ask why? Do you need them both.
  • You have at least three USB devices plugged in when you boot the system, backup drives 1, 2 and 3. Do you need to have them connected at all times?

To start your Bootlog.txt looks ok, bar a few minor issues, which are related in part to your config.plist and the location of your third party kexts.

Your /CLOVER/kexts/Other and all the numbered OSX sub-folders are empty, not even containing FakeSMC.kext. So anyone looking at this has no idea which if any kexts you are using. I would recommend you have a read of Jaymonkey's Third-Party Kext guide - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...an-sierra-high-sierra-mojave-catalina.268964/

Specifically the reasoning behind placing any third-party kexts in the /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder and not installing them to /Library/Extensions (/L/E) or the /System/Library/Extensions (/S/L/E) folder.

As your system lacks an SSDT-UIAC.aml or a USBPorts.kext or USBMap.kext in respect of your USB configuration I would recommend you have a read of UtterDisbelief's USB configuration guide - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-new-beginners-guide-to-usb-port-configuration.286553/

These are the things I would recommend you have a look into to see about getting your CLOVER folder and config.plist optimised for your system:
  1. Your config lacks any rename patches, for USB (XHCI), SATA, XOSI etc.
  2. It lacks a number of common/essential ACPI fixes.
  3. You are not using an SSDT for CPU Power Management, you are also lacking the PluginType=true option in your config. Which you would be advised to enable as it will solve any CPU power management issues you are seeing with your system.
  4. You have the nada_drv=1 boot argument present, you also have NvidiaWeb=true enabled. You don't need both for the NVIDIA Web Drivers.
  5. You have a Fake ID for the IntelGFX, for a Skylake IGPU, when you have a Kaby Lake CPU/IGPU.
  6. You have no Device > Properties entered for your Kaby Lake IGPU, you should be using a Headless framebuffer as you have a discrete GPU.
  7. You have a Devices > Add Properties Entry for the IntelGFX, which is of little benefit, if it does anything at all.
  8. You have none of the Device > USB options selected, you should have Inject and FixOwernship enabled.
  9. You have GUI > Scan > Legacy=First, when you are booting a compatible UEFI system, this is not required.
  10. You have these options selected in the Graphics section, Patch VBios=true, Inject NVidia=true, NvidiaSingle=true plist the same Skylake ig-plaform-id as you added in your Devices > Fake ID entry. I fully expect that you have Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext in your /L/E or heaven forbid your /S/L/E folder. That. being the case you don't need any of these Graphics options. But you do need to apply a Headless framebuffer for your Kaby Lake IGPU to work correctly with your discrete Nvidia GPU.
  11. You have a FakeCPUID for a Skylake H series CPU, why!
  12. I would recommend you enable the KernelXCPM option to make the best use of your CPU processing power.
  13. I would question whether you need the IONVMe... KextsToPatch entries. I have been using a couple of Samsung NVMe drives since they were first available, a pair of SM951 250GB drives, they cost a fortune in comparison to the cost of similar and probably better NVMe drives that are available today. I had to use the NVME patches for a couple of OSX releases but after a time, and I think it was with Sierra (could have been High Sierra) I no longer needed them. So the question would be have you tried booting without these patches to see what difference they make?
  14. You don't have an MLB (Board Serial Number) or ROM generated for your system. These are usually essential if you want to use Messages/iMessage and Apples' other cloud services.
  15. You are at least using a SMBIOS for the correct CPU/Intel Chipset. This makes me wonder why you are using such a hotchpotch of settings for your IGPU.
  16. The Serial number passes Apple Supports check, so that is another bonus.
  17. You have Inject Kexts=Yes enabled, when you have no kexts to inject!
  18. You have Inject System ID=true, this is not required, it is a hangover from the Chameleon/Chimera bootloader and is not used.
  19. You have generated a Custom UUID, when you would be better served having the SMBIOS's SmUUID completed.
If you want or need help sorting any of the above out, I am willing to help. You have a lot of reading to do, and a lot of things to think about before you start changing anything. I would advise you to take your time, do some research and then act.

Finally:
  • You have two Atheros WiFi devices in your system, can I ask why? Do you need them both.
  • You have at least three USB devices plugged in when you boot the system, backup drives 1, 2 and 3. Do you need to have them connected at all times?
Wow, I am a bit overwhelmed but this feedback is great. Thank you so much! I cannot answer any of your questions and will do my reading first. Only the last one: these are hdd I use for time machine.

thanks a lot for now. Will come back to you for sure after I understand at least 70% of what you wrote ;-)

Not a problem, take your time.

There are lots of helpful guides on this site created by the site Moderators, all of which are worth reading if you really want to understand the workings of your Hackintosh system.

Hi Edhawk,

I think I made some progress here. Still a lot of questions remain, but let's see what you have to say:

I read the guide and my kext are all under S/L/E. Specifically I added:
FakeSMC
Lilu
IntelMausiEthernet
VoodooHDAa
XHCI-200-series-injector
WhateverGreen

This I still have to read. However I have several USB devices connected (HDDs, audio card, music keyboard, cameras, ...) and they all work as far as I can see.

Your config lacks any rename patches, for USB (XHCI), SATA, XOSI etc.
Added
  1. It lacks a number of common/essential ACPI fixes.
Added
  1. You are not using an SSDT for CPU Power Management, you are also lacking the PluginType=true option in your config. Which you would be advised to enable as it will solve any CPU power management issues you are seeing with your system.
Adeed
  1. You have the nada_drv=1 boot argument present, you also have NvidiaWeb=true enabled. You don't need both for the NVIDIA Web Drivers.
nada_drv removed
  1. You have a Fake ID for the IntelGFX, for a Skylake IGPU, when you have a Kaby Lake CPU/IGPU.
Removed
  1. You have no Device > Properties entered for your Kaby Lake IGPU, you should be using a Headless framebuffer as you have a discrete GPU.
Properties removed. Not sure what a Headless framebuffer is
  1. You have a Devices > Add Properties Entry for the IntelGFX, which is of little benefit, if it does anything at all.
Removed
  1. You have none of the Device > USB options selected, you should have Inject and FixOwernship enabled.
Done
  1. You have GUI > Scan > Legacy=First, when you are booting a compatible UEFI system, this is not required.
Removed
  1. You have these options selected in the Graphics section, Patch VBios=true, Inject NVidia=true, NvidiaSingle=true plist the same Skylake ig-plaform-id as you added in your Devices > Fake ID entry.
All removed
  1. But you do need to apply a Headless framebuffer for your Kaby Lake IGPU to work correctly with your discrete Nvidia GPU.
How do I do this?
  1. You have a FakeCPUID for a Skylake H series CPU, why!
Removed
  1. I would recommend you enable the KernelXCPM option to make the best use of your CPU processing power.
Done
  1. I would question whether you need the IONVMe... KextsToPatch entries.
I read these are required in Sierra
  1. You don't have an MLB (Board Serial Number) or ROM generated for your system. These are usually essential if you want to use Messages/iMessage and Apples' other cloud services.
Added. But FaceTime registration fails. Yesterday I could pass the verification code but the process failed afterwards. Today I don't. Not a big deal. I don't use it anyway.
  1. You are at least using a SMBIOS for the correct CPU/Intel Chipset. This makes me wonder why you are using such a hotchpotch of settings for your IGPU.
  2. The Serial number passes Apple Supports check, so that is another bonus.
  3. You have Inject Kexts=Yes enabled, when you have no kexts to inject!
Changed to No
  1. You have Inject System ID=true, this is not required, it is a hangover from the Chameleon/Chimera bootloader and is not used.
Removed
  1. You have generated a Custom UUID, when you would be better served having the SMBIOS's SmUUID completed.
Did it
Finally:
No idea. I installed only 1 WiFi card on top of the MB WiFi.
3x500 HDD for Time Machine. I guess yes...

Having done all that, I have to say that I don't notice any difference in use. All applications run as before and the system is neither faster nor slower.

There is one minor thing which bothers me since 2 years. I never got the Default Boot Drive work correctly. I tried all possible names there but it simply does not see it. Boot log:

1:371 0:000 Default boot entry not found

Thanks again for helping out here. I remain a total beginner in this Hackintosh "art", but I learned a lot of new stuff going through your message. Really thank you!

Ciao

Attachments

• bootlog.txt
    32.4 KB · Views: 50
  • CLOVER.zip
    5.8 MB · Views: 46
Well the Bootlog.txt is much improved, only takes 5 seconds to complete instead of the 14 seconds it previously took.

There are still a few minor amendments we can make to your CLOVER folder and config.plist.

Your Bootlog confirms you don't need the change XHC1 to XHC rename patch. Your DSDT and SSDT's don't contain this device name, just the XHCI device. As shown in the screenshot below.

Screenshot 2021-02-07 at 14.59.04.png

The fact you have two Atheros WiFi cards installed bothers me for some reason!

Two cards are shown & highlighted in the screenshot below.

Screenshot 2021-02-07 at 14.57.10.png

The first - 168C:0030 relates to an old Atheros AR5BHB112 card, compatible with macOS.
The second - 168C:003E relates to either of these two WiFi cards, depending on the sub-system ID:
  • Killer 1435 Wireless-AC
  • Killer N1525 Wireless-AC
If the newer AC compatible card works in macOS, which I am not sure it does, you might be best served removing the AR5BHB112 card. If it only works in Windows, or only the Bluetooth works and you want AC WiFi on both macOS and Windows you need to replace this with a compatible card. This used to mean a Broadcom chip card, but recent developments means you can use some Intel WiFi cards.

KEXTS:
Regarding the kexts you are using, I would comment as follows:

These kexts should not be in your /S/L/E folder. They should all be in the /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder.

But make sure you repair permissions and rebuild the kernel cache after removing the kexts, and BEFORE you reboot your system.

1. FakeSMC - can be used or replaced with VirtualSMC.kext but replacement is not essential
  2. Lilu
  3. IntelMausiEthernet
  4. VoodooHDAa - replace with AppleALC.kext as it is a better audio kext than VoodooHDA.kext
  5. XHCI-200-series-injector - Should be replaced with XHCI-Unsupported.kext
  6. WhateverGreen
CLOVER FOLDER:
I have attached below the CLOVER folder I would create were I using your system.
  • I would remove the APIC-p.aml from the /CLOVER/ACPI/origin folder, it serves no purpose.
  • I would add a number of SSDT's, you currently don't use any.
    • The SSDT-EC and SSDT-USBX are generic, but custom SSDT's can be created from your DSDT.aml, if you provide a copy of it.
    • SSDT-XOSI.aml is a common fix so your system is better recognised in macOS.
  • I would remove a number of drivers from the /CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder, as they are not required unless you are using FileVault:
    • AppleImageCodec-64.efi
    • AppleKeyAggregator-64.efi
    • AppleUITheme-64.efi
    • FirmwareVolume-64.efi
    • OsxFatBinaryDrv-64.efi
  • I would replace these two drivers:
    • OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi - replace with OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi
    • VBoxHfs-64.efi - replace with HFSPlus-64.efi
  • I would add the kexts you listed above and a few others to the /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder.
  • I would delete the numbered OSX sub-folders from /CLOVER/kexts folder, as they are not used.
  • I would delete the sub-folder from the /CLOVER/OEM folder, as it is not used.
  • I would delete the unused theme folders and icons from the /CLOVER/themes folder, leaving just your vintageosx theme folder, as it is used by the config.plist.
  • I have amended the config.plist, added a few ACPI fixes, boot arguments, and made a few other changes.
I would recommend you have a look at this and your current CLOVER folder, to compare the two setups.
Before you think to try this folder.

I would strongly recommend you deal with the kexts currently in you /S/L/E folder before using this CLOVER folder, even on a spare USB pen drive. As you could cause damage to the system if you haven't first dealt with the kext location and kernel cache rebuild.

Again, lots for you to think about.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    7.3 MB · Views: 50
thank you so much Edhawk. I’ll have to go slowly through your message but it looks great. thanks for attaching the actual CLOVER folder. That helps considerably.

regarding the WiFi cards: the motherboard has integrated WiFi and Bluetooth but only the latter works with macOS. Therefore I added a PCI card for WiFi (a TP-LINK TL-WDN4800). WiFi and Bluetooth now both work (with the exception of AirDrop). I don’t think I can remove the integrated WiFi, can I? I only have macOS on this workstation. No windows.

BTW the default boot drive still does not work with the drive name “SSD Sierra”. This is a real mystery for me... it’s two years I’m trying.... :)

cheers

Try renaming the drive as 'Sierra' so there are no spaces in the name. MacOS does not like spaces in drive names.

Alternatively rename the drive as 'SSD-Sierra' or 'SSD_Sierra'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back