AMD Radeon
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
http://amzn.com/w/3US2A0I7ZD49R

Just want to be certain before I pull the trigger. Since I'm always messing with Linux and Windows too, I figured I'd get the SATA trays to make switching easier, and make sure i don't format the wrong drive.

Opinions? Changes? Thanks. (budget is around 1,100USD)

Yoga said:
Look good, bar the card reader thing - not sure how they will work. You may be better off getting a FW reader.

You also have 2 CPUs in there :¬)

Gracias! I was debating the Intel Core i7 Processor i7-2600K to the Intel Core i7 Processor i7-2600, but I think I'll go with the K.
Also if the card reader doesn't work, Amazons return policy rocks! Thanks for taking a look!

hrhnick said:
Yoga said:
Look good, bar the card reader thing - not sure how they will work. You may be better off getting a FW reader.

You also have 2 CPUs in there :¬)

Gracias! I was debating the Intel Core i7 Processor i7-2600K to the Intel Core i7 Processor i7-2600, but I think I'll go with the K.
Also if the card reader doesn't work, Amazons return policy rocks! Thanks for taking a look!

Yeah you can't beat Amazon for returns.

Definitely go with the K. A few extra pounds and you have a rock stable 4Ghz+ machine :¬)

Gordo74 said:
The card reader will work, hot swapping those hard drives wont. I also suggest changing the DVD drive to a Sony one as other manufacturers prohibit sleep sometimes.

Ok, switching to a Sony drive. Just curious why hot swapping wont work? doesn't it just use normal sata connections?

Thanks!

Yoga said:
It will recognise them, yes. Hot swapping means mounting/unmounting 'live' in the OS. You'll need to reboot.

Unless you get eSata enclosures instead and a PCI-e eSata card like myself. Works flawlessly :¬)

I'd only switch em cold anyways, like no internal drives, and just "plug in" the drive with the OS i want to run.

Since you're going 2600K, I really - really - cannot recommend an SSD enough. They make a huge difference. To the point I'll never use a HDD for an OS again, ever :¬)

Since I keep all data (entire Home folder) on a hard drive, my OS/apps drive is only using 20GB.

Buy one of these:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/internal ... _State_Pro

60GB if you can. You will not regret it. They're not deemed the best bang-for-buck upgrade you can do for nothing!

Yoga said:
Since you're going 2600K, I really - really - cannot recommend an SSD enough. They make a huge difference. To the point I'll never use a HDD for an OS again, ever :¬)

Since I keep all data (entire Home folder) on a hard drive, my OS/apps drive is only using 20GB.

Buy one of these:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/internal ... _State_Pro

60GB if you can. You will not regret it. They're not deemed the best bang-for-buck upgrade you can do for nothing!

I had one in there originally, but I went overbudget. You make it sound so good though, I'll try to reallocate some funds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back