Contribute
Register

Can only boot using verbose... all of a sudden

Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE:::::

I've booted successfully 20 more times in a row, and then all of a sudden the kernal panic is back. It is now booting every second or third attempt. Weird!

I'm pretty certain it is USB related. I am trying all sorts of things, like pulling certain usb devices before boot. I cannot find the cause. Can you see anything in the screenshot below that points out the problem?

FWIW I was thinking about taking a chance on doing the 10.8.3 update.

soul

You have had a real beast of a problem - and as you mentioned - when you installed MS Office that the problem went away.
MS Office does do a lot of Black Magic when it installs and does do a System Utilities type check on the whole OS so that it will not have issues. This could have been the resolution to the problem. When all else fails install MS Office. :lol:

As to the update to 10.3

Suggest new hardware so that you don't shoot yourself in the foot if problems develop and you can still get work done as you say:

Or at least a seperate HD for 10.8.3.
Purchase - Download - Make Thumb Drive- add second HD - disconnect SL drive - install to New Drive 10.8.3: ( cross fingers)

Of course we assume that we have budge for this new adventure.

Also when you do the 10.8 3 install please post to the Mountain Lion Desktop Support Forum as we do not like ML questions in the SL forum. Drives us mods quackers!!!:lolno:

Man, I am soooo sorry. I do not have a SL Hackintosh. I am running ML 10.8.2! Ive been running 8.2 the whole time. I don't know why I posted SL info. Just a total brain fart. This whole thread belongs in the other forum. Could you possibly move it for me?

I am noticing VooDooHDA info every time in the kernel panic log (screenshot below). That was the for the Jetway onboard sound card kext I installed. Do you think that is related to the kernel panics?

Should I try to remove the VooDooHDA? And if so, how? I am not even using the onboard audio, I run Pro Tools HD PCI.

I am noticing VooDooHDA info every time in the kernel panic log (screenshot below). That was the for the Jetway onboard sound card kext I installed. Do you think that is related to the kernel panics?

Should I try to remove the VooDooHDA? And if so, how? I am not even using the onboard audio, I run Pro Tools HD PCI.

soul

if you are not using the onboard sound delete kexts and disable the sound in the BIOS.
Boot w the - f switch - so it will be " -v -f"

Update: I removed the VooDoo HDA kext last month, and haven't had a problem since.:) Now if I just had sound.;)

Update: I removed the VooDoo HDA kext last month, and haven't had a problem since.:) Now if I just had sound.;)

Soul

What is your motherboard part number - we maybe able to figure out what that sound codex is and locate a kext for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back