JetWay JNAF92-Q67
CPU
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GT 520
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
My Pro Tools HD Snow Leopard hack was working great for a month, now it will only boot if I use verbose option. Normal boot causes kernel panic. Verbose boot option moves past it.

I recently installed Ableton Live 9. That is the only change I can think of. I dont know why that would have an effect.

Any ideas why it only boots using verbose?

My Pro Tools HD Snow Leopard hack was working great for a month, now it will only boot if I use verbose option. Normal boot causes kernel panic. Verbose boot option moves past it.

I recently installed Ableton Live 9. That is the only change I can think of. I don't know why that would have an effect.

Any ideas why it only boots using verbose?

Soul

Have you run system utilities in MultiBeast lately to check the permissions.

Also suggest you use the -f switch to refresh cache files.

So try the "-v -f " a couple of times and then try it with out -v -f.

I did not run system utilities yet, will do.
I did repair permissions in disk utility. same problem.....

However! Tonight it booted normal first time, no problem. I'm sure it didnt magically fix itself. I'll work on it next time it doesn't boot normal. Probably tomorrow night:problem:

Q: Where are those cache files you mention? Are they normal native OSX stuff or Chimera/MultiBeast related? Does disk utility repair permission affect them?

I did not run system utilities yet, will do.
I did repair permissions in disk utility. same problem.....

However! Tonight it booted normal first time, no problem. I'm sure it didnt magically fix itself. I'll work on it next time it doesn't boot normal. Probably tomorrow night:problem:

Q: Where are those cache files you mention? Are they normal native OSX stuff or Chimera/MultiBeast related? Does disk utility repair permission affect them?

Soul

OSX is and other Operating Systems use a method of loading or booting up from a single cache file which is faster. The OS creates large system file that have a long list of the kexts in one file that are needed to boot as reading all of them at once is much faster from a single cache file than searching the Hard Disk for then individually ( the term is Disk thrashing) which results in longer boot up's.
The fact that you ran disk utilities repair permissions would resolve an error Now you didn't state that you used the "-f" command line which in Snow Leopard would tell the kernel to fetch each kext as a first time boot and to not use the cache system file.
This way it refreshes any newer kexts that have been installed since the last use of the cache file. If you install software its advisable to use the -f switch once in a while to get the cache refreshed.
So when you use the -f it turns off the use of the cache file but on the next reboot the system will fetch the kexts anew and rebuild the cache file again.

It is also a good idea when you install software to use the disk utility /repair permissions to check the flags of the files that were installed or modified ( touched by the OS) as well.
As you stated you installed an application this may have contributed to the problem you were having. And you resolved it w the Disk Utilities program.

Where is the system utilities in Multibeast? I dont see it.

Thanks for the advice. I tried the -f switch boot, resulted in kp whether I used verbose boot or not.

Still only able to boot using verbose (although last night it booted normal on first try?)

Seems like something might be related to USB. I started noticing my USB MIDI controllers are acting erratic. One seems to power off, the other shows data (midi value) change. All was working fantastic for a month or so until the Ableton LIve 9 install.

Continuing to troubleshoot while I record Pro Tools sessions w verbose boot...

EDIT... I think has something to do with USB. I couldn't get boot to work tonight, unplugged USB, then verbose boot worked.

Using the Jetway67/intel i7 Sandy Bridge build mentioned in post here from last june. I'll update my profile with specs tomorrow. As I mentioned, everything was great for a month until recent Live 9 install.

Where is the system utilities in Multibeast? I dont see it.

Thanks for the advice. I tried the -f switch boot, resulted in kp whether I used verbose boot or not.

Still only able to boot using verbose (although last night it booted normal on first try?)

Seems like something might be related to USB. I started noticing my USB MIDI controllers are acting erratic. One seems to power off, the other shows data (midi value) change. All was working fantastic for a month or so until the Ableton LIve 9 install.

Continuing to troubleshoot while I record Pro Tools sessions w verbose boot...

EDIT... I think has something to do with USB. I couldn't get boot to work tonight, unplugged USB, then verbose boot worked.

Using the Jetway67/intel i7 Sandy Bridge build mentioned in post here from last june. I'll update my profile with specs tomorrow. As I mentioned, everything was great for a month until recent Live 9 install.

Soul
Did you try both switches together -v -f - if they KP then you should have taken pic and posted that as this could be an indicator of the problem

Also suggest you see if their is any issues that are posted to the AbletonLive 9 forums on issues w Booting and OSX 10.6.8 they may have a patch ( you may need to call tech support)

I would remove the USB devices and see if this changes your boot conditions in other words boot w/o -v ( normal)

I think you have pinpointed what the problem is Live 9 has caused this - were you using a prior version and why the upgrade - just because its their ... is sometimes not a good reason - maybe tech support has an updated Live 9 patch.

Can you remove the Live 9 and go back to the prior version

verbose boot screenshot attached here.

Here's what I discovered
KP on initial boot...
restart with verbose boot also KP.
power down with verbose boot = GOOD to GO!

Love this computer! :) Fast as hell, runs all my DAW software along with the usual stuff. Lets me use it, while I troubleshoot the hack stuff.

Attachments

• verbose.JPG
    verbose.JPG
    692.5 KB · Views: 220
Could not get to boot at all until I pulled a couple USB cable. Can you see anything in the screenshot that points to USB as the problem?

I have no idea why, but my kp issue has resolved itself! Ive booted 10 times in a row over the last week without a single kp.

It first appeared after I installed Ableton Live 9. It seemed to have something to do with USB. If I pulled out USB devices, I could get it to boot. Otherwise kp as shown in screenshot below.

A week later, I installed Microsoft Office Mac 2010. Since then its been perfect. Maybe the Microsoft install magically fixed it? Kidding, but seriously, something was changed during the MS install that fixed my problem.

Im thinking about OSX 10.8.3 and Pro Tools HD 10.3.4 updates, but then again, I might just leave well enough alone and get some work done.
:thumbup:

UPDATE:::::

I've booted successfully 20 more times in a row, and then all of a sudden the kernal panic is back. It is now booting every second or third attempt. Weird!

I'm pretty certain it is USB related. I am trying all sorts of things, like pulling certain usb devices before boot. I cannot find the cause. Can you see anything in the screenshot below that points out the problem?

FWIW I was thinking about taking a chance on doing the 10.8.3 update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back