Contribute
Register

Can only boot into the OS half the time.. (x99)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi guys,

I'm struggling to get my x99 build running smoothly.
Wondering if anyone can give me advice.

The main problems I'm having now are:

- No onboard audio (tried installing VoodooHDA.kext and I couldn't boot up at all)
- No bluetooth (If i have IOBluetoothFamily.kext and IOBluetoothHIDDriver.kext installed system won't boot)

But the most troubling issue I'm having is the system will only boot into Yosemite half the time..
It will boot up fine one minute, and then the next it won't boot at all?

Does anyone know what would be causing this? It's something I've never dealt with and can't find any info on.

I'm using these kernel flags:

kext-dev-mode=1
npci=0x2000
nvda_drv=1
-v

Here's a screen shot of -v boot (it's the exact same for failed and successful boots)

Failed Boot.jpg

Some background:

Asus x99-A 3
Asus GTX 980 ti
RipJaws DDR4 32GB

What I did so far: (Guide from Amad3us)

• Created USB Installation drive for Yosemite 10.10.5 using UniBeast
  • Patched the Kernel of that Installation drive using the Code provided here: Haswell-E + X99 Motherboard Temporary Guide - OS X 10.10
  • Added VoodooTSCSync.kext (6 core) to /Extra/Extensions on the UniBeast stick
  • Copied the MultiBeast installer to the USB drive

• Booted the UniBeast stick using npci=0x2000 nv_disable=1 -f -x -v to install OS X to an GUID formatted SSD (from now on described as Yosemite SSD)
  • After installation I booted the UniBeast stick again using npci=0x2000 nv_disable=1 -f -x -v to copy the kernel patch from the UniBeast stick over to the Yosemite SSD
  • I then booted from the UniBeast stick to my Yosemite SSD using npci=0x2000 nv_disable=1 -f -x -v again
  • I installed the appropriate Nvidia Web driver (10.10.5 (14F27) 346.02.03f01) for my GTX 980 Ti and after rebooting using npci=0x2000 nvda_drv=1 -f -x -v to the Yosemite SSD I could confirm that the card was recognized in the "About this mac" overview

• I didn't copy over my installation to an MBR formatted drive as I read somewhere that the ASUS X99-A motherboards were capable of booting from GUID
  • I then did the post install using MultiBeast with the following settings:

• DSDT Free (Sets a lot of settings, didn't change them)
  • Drivers Disk - 3rd party sata / intel generic AHCI Sata / Trim Enabler 10.10.x
  • Drivers Misc - USB 3.0 Generic / Voodoo TSync 6 core (For it to detect all 6 cores)
  • Drivers Network - AppleIntelE1000e (latest version, not sure which one exactly)

I also deleted IOBluetoothfamily.kext because I couldn't boot at all without deleting it.

Please let me know if you can help in any way.
Thanks

Attachments

• Failed Boot.tiff
    2.1 MB · Views: 120
I am getting the same issue, although my Error is can't allocate memory page below xxxx memory.3rd 4th retry will boot system to MAC. Once booted works great. Second problem I see that, once it goes to sleep, audio stops working.
Mine: MSI X99A Gaming 7, i7-5820K, GTX-960 4G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back