Dell precision m4800
CPU
i7-4900MQ
Graphics
Quadro K1100
update cannot install this system error on sandybridge please help

update cannot install this system error on sandybridge please help

@raj.v008,

When Apple initially listed the minimum requirements for Mojave, Sandy Bridge systems with HD3000 IGP where not listed even though some users have had success installing the Beta and initial public release on Sandy Bridge hacks .. it's quite possible that Apple have now locked it down further .... like they have done with the target File System as it is no longer now possible to run the Mojave updater on a HFS+ formatted system partition.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/using-hfs-instead-of-apfs-for-mojave-update.264001/#post-1842690

Cheers
Jay

@raj.v008,

When Apple initially listed the minimum requirements for Mojave, Sandy Bridge systems with HD3000 IGP where not listed even though some users have had success installing the Beta and initial public release on Sandy Bridge hacks .. it's quite possible that Apple have now locked it down further .... like they have done with the target File System as it is no longer now possible to run the Mojave updater on a HFS+ formatted system partition.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/using-hfs-instead-of-apfs-for-mojave-update.264001/#post-1842690

Cheers
Jay

Wow! Does this mean this is the end of the road for Sandy Bridge systems?

I'm running 10.14 Beta (18A293u) on SandyBridge i5 CPU and it never occurred to me that it will be discontinued because even the final official release worked for me but since my Graphics Card was not supported i installed the first public beta which supports my GPU. I guess this is new from 11.14.1 and onwards.

Last edited:
Wow! Does this mean this is the end of the road for Sandy Bridge systems? .... I guess this is new from 11.14.1 and onwards.

@Nyctalopia,

Based on what @raj.v008 has written it does seem to be the case, but that is just one user with his configuration, we need more Sandy Bridge users to try the 10.14.1 update before we know for sure.

I don't have any Sandy Bridge systems to test it with but at a guess i would say the issue is more likely to be related to the HD-3000 IGPU than the CPU itself, the HD3000 IGPU is a very weak IGPU and always problematic even on real Mac's which is probably why Apple dropped support for it with Mojave as it simply was not up to running the Metal 2 API.

It's possible there maybe a workaround on Sandy Bridge systems with a AMD GPU.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Sandy Bridge systems and Ivy Bridge systems basically are the same. you can use Sandy/Ivy Bridge CPU on Sandy/Ivy Bridge mainboard.
Ivy Bridge systems is officially supported (with HD4000 IGPU).
the issue is apple dropped the of HD3000 IGPU, HD3000 does not support metal API.

I've updated my sandy bridge system just fine, but I had to unpackage the 10.14.1 updater, modify the distribution file, and repackage it. Basically removed the system and board checks. 10.14.1 seems to be working okay.

I've updated my sandy bridge system just fine, but I had to unpackage the 10.14.1 updater, modify the distribution file, and repackage it. Basically removed the system and board checks.
Next time try with -no_compat_check added to the Boot Arguments in your config.plist

Next time try with -no_compat_check added to the Boot Arguments in your config.plist

I already use -no_compat_check to boot with my chosen system_id. This was more just to *start* the 10.14.1 delta update, as it would spit up a window stating it cant install on this system (which is already running 10.14.0). I'm guessing its the same thing the original poster is referring to.

I've updated my sandy bridge system just fine, but I had to unpackage the 10.14.1 updater, modify the distribution file, and repackage it. Basically removed the system and board checks. 10.14.1 seems to be working okay.
Can you please privide the step by step way to doing so

I also updated my Sandy Bridge system, but i use an external GPU since a long time already. The only thing
I changed was I switched from nVidia GTX 750 Ti to AMD RX570 because of the driver system. This did not
prevent me from upgrading (means: it did work with very bad basic graphic support already with the nVidia).

You have to know that you need to use a more modern system definition, though, I use iMac14,2 also for a
long time now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back