Graphics
Nvidia GT640
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'm in the process of buying components for my first Hackintosh. I have a motherboard and CPU coming that I chose from the Oct 2013 Buyer's Guide.

I see Fry's has this video card on sale right now:

ASUS GTX650-E-2GD5 GeForce GTX 650 2GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready Video Card

The Buyer's Guide indicates I can use a GTX650, but this one is a GTX650-E. I did some research and I see that the only difference "seems" to be that the "E" version doesn't require a separate power connector.

Is this card OK? It probably is, but I wanted to double check seeing that none of the cards in the buyer's guide have an "E" version listed.

I was origianlly going to get a GT640, but if this GTX650-E is just as easy to use, I can get a slightly better graphics card for less.

Derek

Should be no problem with either ML or Mavericks.

I'm planning to install Mavericks. Thanks

My motherboard and CPU arrive today. I'll try and install using the integrated graphics first and assuming that goes well, I'll pick up the GTX-650-E tomorrow from Frys. The sale ends tomorrow. It's only $70 and there is a $10 rebate to bring it down to $60

Derek

I'm in the process of buying components for my first Hackintosh. I have a motherboard and CPU coming that I chose from the Oct 2013 Buyer's Guide.

I see Fry's has this video card on sale right now:

ASUS GTX650-E-2GD5 GeForce GTX 650 2GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready Video Card

The Buyer's Guide indicates I can use a GTX650, but this one is a GTX650-E. I did some research and I see that the only difference "seems" to be that the "E" version doesn't require a separate power connector.

Is this card OK? It probably is, but I wanted to double check seeing that none of the cards in the buyer's guide have an "E" version listed.

I was origianlly going to get a GT640, but if this GTX650-E is just as easy to use, I can get a slightly better graphics card for less.

Derek

dlweeo
check to see how many video ports u have - be aware that VGA will not work for OSX.
So if you want to video a DVI is better but you can use a DVI for primary and a HDMI for secondary -
and a HD4xxx if you have it.

dlweeo
check to see how many video ports u have - be aware that VGA will not work for OSX.
So if you want to video a DVI is better but you can use a DVI for primary and a HDMI for secondary -

OK. Thanks for the advice. I hand't thought about VGA not being usable.

I decided to get an Asus GT640 from the buyer's guide. juicebox-tempertantrum's comment about the VGA ports was the difference. I need to hook up multiple monitors to the card and the GT640 comes with 2 DVI plus an HDMI port.

Thanks everyone for the quick responses and advice.

Now my challenge is to switch over to this card from the integrated graphics once it arrives next week. Hopefully that would go as smoothly as everything else did in my first Hackintosh build

Derek

dlweeo

I know my original post was several months ago, but I wanted to follow-up and confirm that VGA is working just fine for my with Mavericks. The video card I eventually got has 1 VGA and 2 DVI and I'm using all 3 with 3 monitors. I have a 24" 1080p monitor on VGA and two 19" monitors on DVI

As a matter of fact I just rebuilt my hackintosh with 10.9.2 and everything is flawless with no special boot options required during installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back