Contribute
Register

Can I upgrade 2500K to 3770K without reinstalling or loading new kexts etc? El Capitan and Sierra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys

Currently have an El Capitan build and a Sierra build.

A friend of mine is giving me his 3770K this christmas, and I may hold off building a new rig, as 3770K, GTX 760 and an SSD are more than enough for my current needs.

As I've just done a fresh install of Sierra which is working very well, when he gives me the processor, will I need to reinstall OS X Sierra from new, or load some kexts? Or can I just swap the CPUs without doing anything?

And If I can just switch the CPUs without reinstalling anything on El Capitan / Sierra, will I get the full power of the 3770K, or will it not be performing to it's full potential?

Thanks

Hi guys

Currently have an El Capitan build and a Sierra build.

A friend of mine is giving me his 3770K this christmas, and I may hold off building a new rig, as 3770K, GTX 760 and an SSD are more than enough for my current needs.

As I've just done a fresh install of Sierra which is working very well, when he gives me the processor, will I need to reinstall OS X Sierra from new, or load some kexts? Or can I just swap the CPUs without doing anything?

And If I can just switch the CPUs without reinstalling anything on El Capitan / Sierra, will I get the full power of the 3770K, or will it not be performing to it's full potential?

Thanks

You will need to delete the SSDT before booting back into OS X, macOS. But other than that you should be fine.

Thanks. It's my understanding that the 3770K / Ivy Bridge processors don't need specific kexts like the Sandy Bridge processors needed. Is this correct?

Depends on what you mean which kexts? What kexts have you installed with Multibeast?

Depends on what you mean which kexts? What kexts have you installed with Multibeast?

For El Capitan I installed the 'Sandy Bridge Core i5' kext. The information for it is as follows:

Optimised SSDT supporting Sandy Bridge Core i5 CPUS with a maximum turbo boost clock of 3.8ghz

For El Capitan I installed the 'Sandy Bridge Core i5' kext. The information for it is as follows:

Optimised SSDT supporting Sandy Bridge Core i5 CPUS with a maximum turbo boost clock of 3.8ghz

Thats just a SSDT for i5 Sandy Bridge CPUs. Should be fine just don't get mixing a SSDT with NullCPUPowermanagement its not needed on such hardware you have.

Thats just a SSDT for i5 Sandy Bridge CPUs. Should be fine just don't get mixing a SSDT with NullCPUPowermanagement its not needed on such hardware you have.

Ok so no need to install NullCPUPowerManagement if I have a SSDT?

On my El Capitan build I didn't have an SSDT, is it absolutely necessary?

I assume you modified AppleIntelSB and AppleIntelCapri kexts as well with your mixed setup you will need to undo that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back