AMD RADEON 5670
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,

I built the Gordo Build (about 2 years ago now) with an i5 CPU (Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K) and I have the opportunity to get an i7 for free. The place where I work are throwing out a computer with an i7 so could have it before it gets thrown. We've had the computer for about a year and I last used it about a month ago so I know it's working.

Question is, can I swap my i5 for the i7? I think it's this one, i7-3770 sr0pk 3.40ghz. Is it theoretically possible if they are the same socket type? If so would I need to change anything on my Hackintosh to enable it to boot up or is it just a straight swap?

Thanks, James

As long as your motherboard has enough TDP to support the new cpu and has a bios update to support Ivy Bridge you should be fine. It would help if you posted said Motherboard on here.

I've never done a swap like that (without fresh installs), so I cannot vouch for how easy/hard it would be. I imagine it's not that simple though.

Also, depending on which OS version you intend to use, Ivy Bridge support might be questionable.

I started with an i3 and upgraded to an i5 3570k (on a Giga Z77 board) and it was a straight swap and everything boot back without any issues. I would imagine the problems that would occur was coming from a dual core to quad. Nevertheless it was plug and play.

If that Cpu is in fact 1155, then yes you will be able to change it. The ease of preforming said task probably depends on your system configuration. I think you just need to try in order to find out, just be sure to backup any important data in case something goes wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back