Contribute
Register

Can I safely swap out ATI 4870 for GeForce 760?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
User Built
CPU
Core i7 2.66
Graphics
GeForce GTX 760
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I have a Hackintosh build I've been keeping updated and alive since October 2009. Went from Snow Leopard to Lion to now Mavericks.

Specs:
Gigabyte EX58 UD5
ATI 4870

Mavericks clean install went perfectly on the first try. Didn't have to enable any video flags etc.

I want to upgrade the video card to an nVidia card GTX 760(to take advantage of Adobe CUDA features). Should it just be a matter of switching out the hardware since I didn't have to set anything up during the install?

Thanks!

If I recall correctly, 6xx and 7xx cards work natively with Mavericks, which means that it would be nothing more than a hardware swap.

Don't AMD cards require some sort of boot flag? If so, you'd have to disable that boot flag when you first put in the 760, booting with -F would probably work.

Don't AMD cards require some sort of boot flag? If so, you'd have to disable that boot flag when you first put in the 760, booting with -F would probably work.

I didn't have to do anything special with the Unibeast/Multibeast method. Actually I was pretty surprised at how well everything went. Far cry from when I first built this rig almost 5 years ago. Amazing.

Thanks for the confirm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back