Contribute
Register

Can I migrate from an iMac hard drive to a new hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte: GA Q77M-D2H (Clover)
CPU
I5-3570K/Q77 Express
Graphics
HD4000, 1920x1080
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Can I migrate from an iMac hard drive to a hackintosh?

Just completed (mostly) my first build. I have a hard drive that is from an iMac, and I'm wondering the best way to migrate the documents only (itunes library, iphoto library, documents folder, etc.). Can I use migration assistant to do that or will I run the risk of breaking my hackintosh install?

Also, but a different issue: I can't seem to get the drive to show up. It's in SATA port 3. My boot volume is on port 1 and shows up as well as my DVD drive (port 2)

Just completed (mostly) my first build. I have a hard drive that is from an iMac, and I'm wondering the best way to migrate the documents only (itunes library, iphoto library, documents folder, etc.). Can I use migration assistant to do that or will I run the risk of breaking my hackintosh install?

Also, but a different issue: I can't seem to get the drive to show up. It's in SATA port 3. My boot volume is on port 1 and shows up as well as my DVD drive (port 2)
Can you put the drive back in the iMac? If so use file sharing or copy the files to your usb stick and then to the new rig. After that you can figure out how to get use of the HD in the new rig without risking losing your data.

Unfortunately, no. The iMac is dead. Either the power supply or the logic board. I'm planning on testing both, but that will be down the road. The disk shows up in bios, but not in OS X or Disk Utility. I tried installing the 3rd party SATA kext, but that made no difference. It's a western digital drive. Any ideas on how to get it to show up. Are there other HDD kexts out there that are not included in MultiBeast that I could try? I'm having a hard time finding much with the search, most issues that are coming up are issues with boot drives/install.

Can you put the drive back in the iMac? If so use file sharing or copy the files to your usb stick and then to the new rig. After that you can figure out how to get use of the HD in the new rig without risking losing your data.

Migration Assistant is the best way to do what you want. Ask it to copy users over, not anything else.

But that does mean the drive needs to be seen. I would expect all the Q77 SATA ports to be seen by OS X without needing any extra kexts. Are you confident in the SATA cable you used? The power connection? The drive itself? Are the BIOS settings at appropriate defaults?
Failing that, do you have a USB dock or external drive enclosure you could put the drive in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back