i7-4910MQ
Graphics
K3100M
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi, can i install os x yosemite over Dell optiplex 760 with Quadro FX 1700 graphics card?

Hi, can i install os x yosemite over Dell optiplex 760 with Quadro FX 1700 graphics card?

The Optiplex 760 will run Yosemite. There is some doubt about how well that a Quadro FX 1700 might work. I found this over at Insanelymac from November 2011:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/271694-quadro-fx-1700-issues-1068-and-speed/

A GT 610, GT620 or GT630 single slot & passively cooled CPU would make good compatible options for the older Optiplex models.

You really want 4GB of RAM as an absolute minimum - 8GB much better. If you can use an inexpensive SSD as your boot drive then that helps too. These machines will never be blisteringly fast but will do simple office type work quite adequately.

Use a simple cheap USB audio adaptor for audio and don't spend too much as long term use of these machines is getting a bit limited.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/buying-advice/97797-dell-optiplex-755-760-easily-convertible.html

Guide to install Yosemite on a Dell Optiplex 760 - Use at your own risk.

I finally got Yosemite to run on an OptiPlex 760. Lots of trial and error. Below is the stable version of steps that I came up with, that includes BIOS settings. It had kept stalling at various places during boot. Even when it would boot completely up and operate normally, the next day it wouldn't. So some of these settings may not be necessary/relevant, but it finally boots consistently.

Video: Graphics card is an inexpensive Sapphire Radeon HD 6450 driving two monitors and it works great works straight out of the box (OOB). I never have trouble with Sapphire branded Radeon HD video cards in PCs or Hacintoshes, so I don't know why people complain about AMD so much. But I am not a 'gamer' and that could be the difference.

Audio: I used a SABRENT brand USB audio stereo sound adapter (AU-MMCW) to pass sound to a small powered sound bar. It's small, connected to the back of the case, and was easier than trying to get sound via Voodoo (which does works great on my other Hacks), and both Win7 and Yosemite sound fine through it. Easy fix for about $5.

Tools (search Tonymacx86 if you need more information on these than provided here):
MultiBeast
Chameleon Wizard
MacIASL (custom DSDT generating tool)
ssdtPRGen.sh (custom SSDT generating script)

Dell OptiPlex 760, BIOS Version A16
F2 – BIOS, F12 – Boot menu (things to remember during trouble-shooting if necessary).

USE THIS GUIDE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

BIOS Settings (you may want/require different settings):

General:
Boot Sequence: Ensure USB Device, CD-ROM, and Hard drives are selected.
Deselect USB Floppy and Onboard network Controller

Drives:
Diskette Drive: Disabled
SATA Operations set to AHCI
SMART Reporting: Enabled
Drives: Ensure all necessary SATA connections are enabled – External and SATA-3 disabled.

System Configuration:
Integrated NIC: Enabled
USB Controller: Enabled
Parallel Port: Disabled
Serial Port: Disabled
Miscellaneous Devices: all Enabled

Video:
Primary Video: Auto Onboard/Card

Performance:
Multi Core Support: Enabled
Intel SpeedStep: On
C States Control: On
Limit CPUID Value: Off

Virtualization:
Intel Virtualization Technology: Off

Security:
Passwords: None
TMP Security: Deactivate and not TMP Security not selected
CPU XD Support: Enabled (Must be on!!!)
OROM Protection: Enabled (Must be on!!!)
Computrace: Disabled
Signed Firmware Update: Off

Power Management:
AC Recovery: Off
Auto On Time: Disabled
Lower Power Mode: Off
Remote Wake Up: Disabled
Suspend Mode: S1
Fan Control Override: not selected

Maintenance:
SERR Messages: Off

Image Server:
All settings n/a

POST Behavior:
Fast Boot: Enabled
Numlock LED: Enabled
POST Hot Keys F12 = Boot Menu: Enable
Keyboard Error Detection: Enabled (ancient stuff).
MEBx Hotkey: Off (Keeps getting turned back on!!!)
OS Install: Off

System Logs:
BIOS Events: Whatever

MultiBeast selections:

Drivers / Disk:
3rd Party SATA – support for ASMedia, JMicron, and Marvell SATA Controllers

Drivers / Miscellaneous:
Elliot Force Legacy RTC – prevent CMOS Reset on Reboot w/o DTST – in /S/L/E
EvOreBoot – If no DTST, needed for Shutdown and Reboot to work - in /S/L/E
FakeSMC – mandatory for booting by all systems - /S/L/E
FakeSMC Plugins – 4 sensors in /S/L/E/FakeSMC.kext/Contents/Plugins (for HW monitor below)
FakeSMC HW monitor app – In Applications and accessed from Menu bar (not necessary)
NullCPUPowerManagement – prevents kernel panic with DTST edits - /S/L/E

Drivers/Network / Intel:
AppleIntele1000e v2.4.14

Drivers / System:
AppleRTC Patch for CMOS Reset – to prevent CMOS resets under Mavericks.

Bootloaders:
Chimera

Customize:
Boot Options (/Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist)
Basic Boot
Kext Dev Mode
Use Kernal Cache

DSDT - you can create a custom DSDT.aml file via MacIASL. When you use MacIASL (thanks RehabMan), it will do some optimization automatically. But you may have to correct some errors (don't worry about warnings or information alerts).
Some are obvious and easy to fix, but ‘buffer’ fixes were tough to figure out. I saw someone else post a similar fix, and I wish I could find them again to give this person recognition, but I can't determine where I saw them. But it helped me get started.
Here are the ones I had to fix - use these as examples, compile, and see if the errors go away. Tweak as necessary. There may be patches out there for this, but I don't know. If you have internet connection, you can configure MacIASL to connect to a site that will load multiple patches to select from.... fixes could be there, but I didn't have that luxury at the time.
———————————————————————————
Error:
Method (_CRS, 0, NotSerialized)
{
If (GTPM ())
{
Return (Zero)
}

If (GCTP ())

The Fix:
Method (_CRS, 0, NotSerialized)
{
If (GTPM ())
{
Return (Buffer (One)
{
0x00
})
}

If (GCTP ())

——————————————————————————
Error:
}
Else
{
Return (Zero)
}

The Fix:
Else
{
Return (Buffer (One)
{
0x00
})

———————————————————————————

Chameleon Wizard settings:
GUI
Time Out:2
Legacy Logo

Use Kernel Cache
Ethernet Built In
Restart Fix
Private Data

Generate P-States
Generate C-States
Drop SSDT (to ignore a system-generated one if you are using a custom ssdt.aml that you created).

Kext-dev-mode=1
cpus=1

SMBios – iMac8,1

Modules from MultiBeast that are put in Extra (you don't have to do anything):
HDAEnabler.dylib
Keylayout.dylib

You can generate a custom SSDT file if you successfully created a DSDT.aml file. If you don't create your own, it will be created and kept in the background.

Create a SSDT via ssdtPRGen.sh version .9 using processor speed parameters (e.g., 33 3300).
You drag the script to terminal and add your processor speed; mine is 3.29, thus the line entered into Terminal is:
"ssdtPRGen.sh 33 3300"<enter> - a space before and after 33 (in my case) and minus the quotes.
The resulting ssdt.aml file may be hidden in Users/<username>/Library/ssdtPRGen/ (Library is a hidden directory).
Move the ssdt.aml file to the System/Extras folder where you put the DSDT.aml file.

To unhide all hidden directories and the files within, in Terminal enter:
"defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -boolean true ; killall Finder" minus quotes.
To re-hide those same directories and files within, in Terminal enter:
"defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -boolean false ; killall Finder" minus quotes.

There is also a newer 15.6 version of ssdtPRGen.sh - you just drag it to Terminal and it appears to do everything automatically if you have a DSDT created. The instructions imply you need to enter many parameters, but on a different computer I just dragged it to Terminal, it discovered my computer's parameters, I then answered some prompts, and then I just used the resulting ssdt.aml file (files if it generated multiple files - keep the numbering as they were created) and everything seems fine. Again, it may be hidden (see above).

And I always boot with –v (verbose) - easier to be patient (necessary) to see that it has not stalled at trouble spots. So always be patient - even successful boots seem to hang up, but eventually it chugs along. Also, the first time I run any apps, they run really slow the first time, but subsequent use of them are a lot faster.

Also, I have a dual-boot system with Win7 on a separate HDD, which is the default.
When I boot, I choose F12 to get the list of bootable drives so I can select the Yosemite drive.
Then I hit the space-bar at the boot delay so I can enter -v for 'verbose' so I can monitor the boot sequence.

If you get successfully booted, in Chameleon Wizard there is a BDMESG tab. This output captures a lot of what's going on and can give you some insight on what's happening in the background. Once you're up and running, run Chameleon Wizard and take a look at it.

I also use an inexpensive ASUS 'N' wifi USB dongle that is small and comes with its own wifi utility. Very small and works great if I choose not to use the wired ethernet network.

I think that's it. And with all that being said, I am not a Hacintosh guru. If you have any questions, I probably can't even answer them. I've poured over forums and got help from smart people on them. Lots of research.... hours, days, months.... But I am just a Hack at this stuff, and just wanted to share my success if only to help somebody else.

Best of luck.

Hi There,

I see that you specified cpus=1 in your config. So am I to take it that we are only going to get support for one core of the cpu? Were you ever able to get it working with both cores?

Thanks and nice write up!

@MrAtariMac

Would be helpful to others using the 760 if you moved your post to Yosemite Desktop Guides
and put Optiplex 760 in the title. That way it will be much easier to find. Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back